Do (major) bike shops still fit a new groupset ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thegentleman

Do (major) bike shops still fit a new groupset ?

Postby Thegentleman » 30 Jul 2020, 10:47pm

Hi. I want to upgrade my group set from soro to 105. The frame is pretty good so happy with group set upgrade only at this stage. However, who can I get to fit it and how much does it cost. Struggling to find this information online. Do the usual suspects (Evans, Halfords etc) still do this type of work or do I need to go independent?

iandusud

Re: Do bike shops (usual suspects) still . . .

Postby iandusud » 31 Jul 2020, 5:50am

I would not use a chain store such as Halfords or Evans for such work as you have no idea of the level of competence of the "mechanic" who will do the work. Now it's fair to say that the same could be said for an independent bike shop but with a little bit of local research you should be able to get the advice you need. A local independent dealer relies on his or her reputation and customer service / satisfaction is what will make or break the business as they cannot compete on retail sales in this world of the internet. Why don't you tell us where you are. I'm sure there are people here who will be able to point you in the right direction.

Ian

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 31 Jul 2020, 6:20am

One useful tip would be to ask local clubs or browse their websites. Poor shops are less likely to feature.
To be honest, why not take this as an opportunity to learn to do it yourself. Nothing complicated.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 31 Jul 2020, 6:20am

One useful tip would be to ask local clubs or browse their websites. Poor shops are less likely to feature.
To be honest, why not take this as an opportunity to learn to do it yourself. Nothing complicated.

Thegentleman

Postby Thegentleman » 31 Jul 2020, 6:56am

Thanks for the replies and advice so far. I am based in Wimbledon. Unfortunately my ho to indie bike shop closed down a few years ago due to outrageous rent increases.

Might anyone be able to recommend a bike shop where I could buy from and have tHem fit (replacing a basic Soro group set) a Shimano 105 group set.

Cheers.

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 31 Jul 2020, 7:23am

Try Pearsons in Mortlake
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Thegentleman

Postby Thegentleman » 31 Jul 2020, 7:56am

Philip Benstead wrote:Try Pearsons in Mortlake

Will do. Thanks Philip

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 31 Jul 2020, 8:27am

I'd learn to do it myself.

A bike shop will obviously have to charge a fair amount.

I can recommend one bike shop - very fair in my experience - not exactly your bit of town but not terrible to get to - it's right next to an overground/rail station.

Mr Vaidas

https://www.vaidasbicycles.com/
Sweep

PH

Postby PH » 31 Jul 2020, 9:41am

In some areas a better option might be a cycle mechanic rather than a traditional bike shop. As the online retailers have taken over from those with much higher overheads there's a growing market for the things they can't provide and many businesses created or adapted to cater for it. The separation of sales and service is IMO the future of the bike trade. There's several flourishing around my area, whilst those who relied on sales have mostly closed.

TrevA

Re: Do (major) bike shops still fit a new groupset ?

Postby TrevA » 31 Jul 2020, 11:39am

You can fit pretty much the whole groupset using just a set of Allen keys. You’ll need tools for the bottom bracket, cassette and chain, plus wire cutters for the cables, but it’s not difficult to do it yourself. These tools are useful to have anyway. LBS is likely to charge you top dollar for the groupset and another £100 at least to fit it. You can buy a 105 groupset Online much cheaper, Wiggle are doing one for £439. RRP is £595.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7 ... d-groupset
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 31 Jul 2020, 8:59pm

If you upgrade to 105 you will need new 11spd wheels.

However if you upgrade to tiagra then you can keep the same wheels and save yourself approx £150

Shifting will be simalar but will weigh slightly more.

In fact I prefer the tiagra finish to 105.

Cheers James

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 31 Jul 2020, 9:04pm

A few rudimentary tools and YouTube should suffice.

peetee

Postby peetee » 31 Jul 2020, 9:21pm

I agree that fitting the parts yourself is not too technical but fitting the cables so they operate efficiently and safely is an acquired art. Do be sure you know the process well before you start. You have to turn the hoods over to fit the cables And/or bar tape but what is not widely appreciated is that operating the gear shifter paddles inadvertently then can ruin the mechanism.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 31 Jul 2020, 10:55pm

Take note of Jamesh's post, you will need a new rear wheel unless your current wheel happens to be compatible, plus new cables If they don't come with the parts, add another £30ish plus the cost of decent bar tape. Labour may be about £110. The shop you go to may well not be able to give you internet prices for the parts, and might add a surcharge to fit parts provided by you. All doable but not cheap.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 31 Jul 2020, 11:10pm

Jamesh wrote:If you upgrade to 105 you will need new 11spd wheels.....

this isn't necessarily the case. Shimano make two 11s cassettes (both in 11-34T only) being

CS-HG700-11
CS-HG800-11

which fit to 8/9/10s freehub bodies and allow the use of 10s wheels with an 11s groupset.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~