How not to lock up your bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
xerxes

How not to lock up your bike

Post by xerxes »

Screenshot from 2020-07-31 15-20-37.png
Tangled Metal

Re: How not to lock up your bike

Post by Tangled Metal »

It seems positively rude not to lift it off and place it on another nearby post? Not enough that they think it's stolen but enough to make them doubt themselves about their memory of where they left it. With luck they'll work out that it has been moved and how!!!

Public service idea with a twist of evil perhaps :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

It looks like a low-end chain store MTB. It might be too heavy to lift far enough off the ground. Did you see a heap of failed bike thieves writhing on the floor with back pain? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

would be interesting to just wait around a) to see if it gets stolen b) what the owner looks like. ( we are assuming this isnt a SETUP?)
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I saw a better one. Similarly cheap bike/cable lock.
The cable was still in its frame carrying bracket. The owner had simply left the lock in its bracket and locked the cable round the Sheffield stand.
When she came back (I was working by the cycle racks), before she unlocked it, I showed her that by pushing the red button on the lock bracket I could free the bike.
She appreciated the suggestion to put the cable through the bike frame when locking.

Re the original picture. Oxford police once told me that their record for such locking method having the lock slipped over the top of the post/pole, was a 3m tall pole.

Cheers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PT1029 wrote:Re the original picture. Oxford police once told me that their record for such locking method having the lock slipped over the top of the post/pole, was a 3m tall pole.

But at least he'd be easy to identify.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Or the cable lock around the Sheffield stand but only wrapped around the handlebars, was very easy to tip the cable off the end of the flat bars on one side. I didn't though.

Did nobody ever put a d lock or cable or chain around the week only as a kid for example? Or is everyone of the sort of age that they didn't need to lock bikes up as kids? I was a kid in the 70s/80s and we still used chains to lock bikes? Being kids some of us didn't exactly take care of how we lock the bikes up.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:Or the cable lock around the Sheffield stand but only wrapped around the handlebars, was very easy to tip the cable off the end of the flat bars on one side. I didn't though.

Did nobody ever put a d lock or cable or chain around the week only as a kid for example? Or is everyone of the sort of age that they didn't need to lock bikes up as kids? I was a kid in the 70s/80s and we still used chains to lock bikes? Being kids some of us didn't exactly take care of how we lock the bikes up.

Not that i recall actually using it until the late '70's but my lock was one of those 4 tumbler combination jobs with about 6" of chain! The fact that i never had a bike stolen proves that back then you didn't need anything more secure! Most of the time we never bothered with locks, bike crime out in the sticks where i grew up was almost unheard of.

I'm sure the owner of the bike in the OP thinks they've done the right thing, how many of us have locked bikes to stuff that in hindsight was a bit daft - chain link fencing, wooden posts and so on, sometimes thats all there is, i've certainly had that on campsites and there is a town not that far from here which has bollards with a hole specific for locking bikes to except its nigh on impossible to do so properly as the hole is at the top of the 3' bollards!

So before you all go off on a laughing spree think about why the bike is locked up so badly. (not saying it couldn't be done better mind :wink: )
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Saw worse some years ago, went to a building that was divided into flats and there was a bike in the hallway locked with a d-lock to a chair. The chair leg was through the d-lock so all you had to do was lift the chair up to seperate the two.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

It could happen to anyone.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote: why the bike is locked up so badly. (not saying it couldn't be done better mind :wink: )

I'm presuming you referring to the fact that some people, really could do with having a "better mind".

The brain is a wondrous thing and it's worth recalling that some people, simply aren't very bright :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Norman H wrote:It could happen to anyone.

and he used to lead this country no wonder..................
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Look what they did to this guy :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4herWkGMiaM
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It's a sad reflection on modern society that it's necessary to have to lock a bike. It would never been necessary when I was young, and I wouldn't have had any thoughts of doing so. It would be just left anywhere convenient, but now................
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bikes were often stolen in Oxford in 1970.

Jonathan