Wheel builders in Brizzle area

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Wheel builders in Brizzle area

Postby foxyrider » 1 Aug 2020, 5:35pm

I'm not the best of wheel builders but i can get by providing i have some sort of work stand - and therein lies my current issue, i don't have access to one at present and using the frame of an Airnimal is not gonna work. So my problem is that whilst i can do the basic grunt of lacing new rims to my hubs i need someone who does a proper job of building/tensioning to finish the job, they need to be spotty dick as they get abused on and off road with all my camping gear on board, old rims are worn out but still straight as a die after thousands of km of loaded riding.

Anyone got any recommendations of individuals / shops who do a proper job in the Bristol region? (i can easily find a list of shops but that doesn't tell you their real life reputation!), happy to go further afield if there is a benefit.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

goatwarden

Re: Wheel builders in Brizzle area

Postby goatwarden » 1 Aug 2020, 6:15pm

Bikeman on Gloucester road https://www.thebikemanbristol.com/#about is a lovely chap and a very good wheel builder.
Ryan Builds Wheels https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/ is also excellent.

martinn

Postby martinn » 1 Aug 2020, 6:16pm

Three that come to mind
Terry's cycles in Yate
Garry Harris nr frenchay
Ryan builds wheels

My local bike shop is pretty good at building wheels, happy to do " I've put it together, can you make it round now please" type work. Nailsea cycles

Lots of others but I've used most of those listed, and very happy.

Martin

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 2 Aug 2020, 12:57am

Another vote for Ryan who is now in St. Werburghs, there are cheaper but the quality of his wheels is top quality. He built my rear wheel, I supplied hub & rim and four years/15,000 commute abused miles later it's still true. Might not be factory fresh true but it's survived well.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 2 Aug 2020, 9:24pm

cheers peeps :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Tilley

Postby Tilley » 2 Aug 2020, 10:27pm

The other option would be the Bristol Bike project. They operate an evening session called the bike kitchen where experienced people can have access to the well stocked workshop and that includes at least 1 wheel building rig.