Swiss Stop/Kool Stop Products

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DAV_1965

Swiss Stop/Kool Stop Products

Post by DAV_1965 »

Hi, I have bike decked with Shimano R650 deep drop brakes.
Reckon the pads could do with swapping out.
Does anyone have a view on the above products? They always seem a bit pricey to me.
New pads would be going on fairly bog standard set of Zondas
Thanks, David
Brucey

Re: Swiss Stop/Kool Stop Products

Post by Brucey »

it all depends on your priorities; IME 'cheap' brake blocks that wear rims out quickly tend to work out 'expensive' in the long run.

- consistently high friction characteristics
- long life in brake block and rim
- inexpensive to buy

would be the three factors which would make a 'perfect brake block'. However in this imperfect world we live in, you normally have to settle for two out of three.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I've got Swiss-Stop blue this year, but had Kool-Stop salmon for four-seasons use over several years. The salmon have always been excellent and didn't grind like the OEM brake blocks in the wet. The blue have only only seen fine weather so far but are as smooth and quiet as the salmon
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I’ve got Swiss Stop Blue on my winter bike, which are excellent and somewhere I’m running some Original Black, which I thought didn’t merit the premium price tag.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I swapped out the standard brake pads that came on my 2013 Brompton for the Swiss Stop alternatives and noticed a mild improvement in the braking performance in the dry, and a definite improvement in the wet.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have been using Swisstop Green (both old and newer types of green) for some years, including their RAT blocks for cantis and so on. Very good indeed. In the last year or so I've been replacing them when needed with the newish Swisstop Blue (the old blue was for carbon rims or ceramic - I don't recall which). Quiet, excellent smooth braking. I used KoolStop on and off some years ago but consider Swissstop to be much better.

One thing to watch out for, people may say that Swisstop are expensive, but they miss the point that they are sold in packs of 4 versus packs of 2 for other brands. So just looking at a pack price is misleading.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I found Koolstop OK, but now prefer BBB Techstop or Ultrastop (Tristop for V brake versions). They perform well in both wet and dry and are gentle on the rims. When comparing prices remember that BBB prices are for a set of four pads.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-UltraStop-4-in-1-Brake-Pads_201057.htm
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-TechStop-4-in-1-Brake-Pads_201058.htm