Courier company that will handle unboxed bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Courier company that will handle unboxed bike?

Post by danfoto »

I'm in East Sussex, the bloke who's just bought an e-bike from me is in Northern Ireland, and his plan for collecting it has just gone awry. Does anyone please know of a courier company that would entertain collecting and delivering an unpackaged bike?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
simonineaston

Re: Courier company that will handle unboxed bike?

Post by simonineaston »

unpackaged? - highly unlikely for all sorts of reasons, for example handling, protection, safety, insurance... bike shops usually only too pleased to give away used bicycle delivery boxes, as they often simply get chucked away.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

simonineaston wrote:unpackaged? - highly unlikely for all sorts of reasons, for example handling, protection, safety, insurance...

I know - hence my question ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

You could always stick a stamp on it and hope for the best... Good Luck getting into the letter box, though! :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thank you Jonathan. I was just trying to help the chap out, but I've now bounced the problem back into his court.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a tandem delivered by FedEx. Lake District to Somerset. It wasn't boxed but the frame was wrapped in cardboard plus the gear mech. The bars were turned and secured to the frame with the wheels in line. During transit it had "collected" a parcel destined for another address which I found caught up in the crossover chain. Fortunately it was local to me and the intended recipient collected it. No box involved.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

There is at least one, based in Bristol I think - if the name comes back to me I will edit. I sold a massive vintage tandem to a guy in Essex and all I had to do was tie a luggage label to it! Not cheap though!
They also collect e.g. antique furniture.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Have you tried getting it delivered by as a part load in a van? There are many private "man in a van" businesses who will take part loads if you are on a route they are travelling if they have room in their van. I have used them for shipping motorcycles at a fraction of the cost of dedicated carriers with very positive results. Try here: https://www.shiply.com/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I sold a massive vintage tandem to a guy in Essex and all I had to do was tie a luggage label to it!.
And to think that when I made a facetious and unhelpful remark about sticking a stamp on it, I was only joking!!
S
Garry Booth

Bike courier for unboxed bike

Post by Garry Booth »

Does anyone know someone who would collect a bike and deliver it to me without it being boxed up? The reason is that I want to buy a bike on ebay that is collection only - and the seller won't box it up. It isn't a particularly valuable bike, circa £150.
Jamesh

Re: Bike courier for unboxed bike

Post by Jamesh »

From where to where? Perhaps a forum member might be going that way.

Would be a nice little job for some one man band delivering bikes off eBay.

I used a chap some time back for some car seats and that's all he did was eBay deliveries.

Cheers James
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Some bike shops will box a bike for shipping.