Where does the load & wear take place?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Where does the load & wear take place?

Post by simonineaston »

Thinking about the forces that apply to the chain and sprockets, does anyone know where most of the force / wear takes place? The chain, with its links, transfers power applied by the rider, through the cranks, rotating the front sprocket and that force is tranferred to the rear wheel by the chain, which hauls the rear wheel round by applying force to the teeth of the rear sprocket (or at least, that's how I understand it...). Presumably those forces are distributed across a number of teeth at any one time - the teeth at the bottom of the sprocket receive no pressure - the chain is not wrapped around the whole sprocket - whereas the teeth near the tangent of the chain are presumably bearing the brunt of the force. Does anyone know where this is explained, preferably in picture form!
Obviously, due to the fact that both sprockets go round and round, the wear is going to be evenly distributed across all teeth, but I was curious to learn about the forces, with a view to making sure my chain wraps around enough of the rear sprocket, when I position the chain tensioner, on my new build.
Last edited by simonineaston on 14 Aug 2020, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Where does the load & wear take place?

Post by Jdsk »

The Power Transmission chapter of Bicycling Science describes efficiency and the effect of small sprockets, and is very good on alternatives. But AFAICT doesn't have anything on the load and wear of teeth at various positions of engagement with the chain.

Jonathan
hamster

Post by hamster »

One other point to add is that the load is not even around the chainring - tension is lowest when cranks are vertical so chainring wear is least then.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Front chainrings wear unevenly due to pedalling forces not being equal throughout their circumferance.
Rear sprockets wear evenly due to forces being applied evenly because they aren't always in the same relation to the chainrings.

Chain wear is even thoughout it's length,though side plate wear on a deraileur system is also a factor especially where cross chaining is prevalent,which in time leads to poor/slow gear changes even though the chain appears not to have worn linearly(stretched).

EDIT:- just to add,wear rate is accelerated greatly when a drivetrain is let to get dirty and or not lubed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

hamster wrote:One other point to add is that the load is not even around the chainring - tension is lowest when cranks are vertical so chainring wear is least then.
I hadn't thought of that - but now you mention it, it makes sense. And that uneveness will be passed to the rear sprocket inevitably! However, over the lifetime of a cog, I guess it'll be averaged out.
I started to think about this when I offered up the chain tensioner on my new build, and intution told me to wrap as much of the chain round the rear sprocket as poss.. Then I thought, "I bet the chain only needs to be wrapped around some of the teeth and not most..." And then I realised that if you go far enough along that route, you could end up with a chain that's wrapped around a single tooth only, which is plainly silly... So where is the point at which it becomes needless to have more wrap?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

side plate wear on a deraileur system is also a factor
Not in this case, as there's only one rear sprocket (on an Al-fee-nay).
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hamster wrote:One other point to add is that the load is not even around the chainring - tension is lowest when cranks are vertical so chainring wear is least then.

reohn2 wrote:Front chainrings wear unevenly due to pedalling forces not being equal throughout their circumferance.

Can you see that pattern of wear in practice?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I guess that idea was behind the design of the so-called biopace chainrings of the '80s...
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, but about better power delivery rather than lower wear.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:

reohn2 wrote:Front chainrings wear unevenly due to pedalling forces not being equal throughout their circumferance.

Thanks

Jonathan

Yes and moreso on tandem timing rings that are smaller (39 or 42t) that are ridden to more extreme wear rates
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:Yes, but about better power delivery rather than lower wear.

Jonathan

I had a 1055 Biopace Biopace chainset and couldn't tell the difference between them and round rings :?
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Jdsk wrote:The Power Transmission chapter of Bicycling Science describes efficiency and the effect of small sprockets, and is very good on alternatives. But AFAICT doesn't have anything on the load and wear of teeth at various positions of engagement with the chain.
Tell me more about this book, Jonathan - is it a right good rollicking read? ;-) Will I enjoy it? Should I spend the book token my auntie gave me last Xmas??
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bicycling Science, Wilson (and now Schmidt)
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/bicycling-science-fourth-edition

It's excellent. But because of the wonder of the Web you can now find most of it elsewhere. I like having the book. I haven't looked at the fourth edition... yet.

Jonathan

PS: I won't give away the ending. : - )
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is (only) approximately true. You can see this looking at wear patterns in chainrings, and experimental data re pedalling action.

Even with new chain and sprockets, the load is borne by relatively few teeth on the sprocket at any one time. I think the worst (fastest) wear occurs when the chain rollers have to move much as the load is borne on each tooth, and that this usually occurs when the chain is worn vs the sprocket.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Thanks

Jonathan

Yes and moreso on tandem timing rings that are smaller (39 or 42t) that are ridden to more extreme wear rates

Thanks

Jonathan