Wide fit SPD shoes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brianjeff50

Wide fit SPD shoes?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Sorry, I know this has been asked before but many of the recommended shoes seem to no longer on sale. And it’s hard to go to a shop and try numerous on.

What I’m after is:

A SPD two bolt cleat shoe with a wide toe box that’s suitable for long distance riding and limited walking.

I don’t really want heavy MTB or trail shoes.

At present I have Shimano RT500 which are tight even a size up from walking shoe and my poor old feet are suffering on long hot rides.
NickWi

Re: Wide fit SPD shoes?

Post by NickWi »

Northwave shoes are worth a look. I take a EU size 48 (UK 13) and found they suit my wide flippers very well.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Specialized have a more roomy toe area than most, though I still get at one and a half UK sizes higher than with normal shoes, just as I would with Shimano or Sidi.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Brianjeff50 wrote:Sorry, I know this has been asked before but many of the recommended shoes seem to no longer on sale. And it’s hard to go to a shop and try numerous on.

What I’m after is:

A SPD two bolt cleat shoe with a wide toe box that’s suitable for long distance riding and limited walking.

I don’t really want heavy MTB or trail shoes.

At present I have Shimano RT500 which are tight even a size up from walking shoe and my poor old feet are suffering on long hot rides.

Shimanos seem to be modelled on razor blades for width, I need 2 sizes up in their shoes for width and then they're far too long (the sandals are okay as the upper is either not there or is an expandable strap, so I like their SD5s and they're my defauly cycling footwear for half the year). For shoes I have some Spcialized MTB shoes which fit okay, and I have a wide forefoot. Last ones I had were Bontragers which were side enough but the sole cracked after about 3 years which is a bit rubbish, so not inclined to repeat business there. Nicest ones I ever had were Diadora Globe touring shoes, but of course they stopped making them...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
slowster

Post by slowster »

In my experience the Mega versions of Sidi's shoes are significantly wider than Northwave. A possible downside with the Mega shoes is that they have a larger volume as well as more room in the toe box. I think if you need wider than the Mega, then you probably need to look at Lake and possibly Bontrager.

With regard to Shimano, their trail shoes, e.g. XM7, are made on a wider last than their road and MTB race shoes, and the frequent advice of going up a shoe size for Shimano does not apply to them.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Post by SpaceCaptainTheodore »

My brother and I each use diadora SPD's to accommodate our barge feet. Mine were from wiggle/CRC and, though I don't think the specific model (Vortex 2) is still available, the styling on the newer ones is so similar that I'd be surprised if the last has changed.

Wiggle also set some store by their customer service so, if you were concerned about returns, may be a good choice of vendor.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

There are wide feet and wide feet, Shimano do the ME3 which is a D width and a road shoe based upon the same last. I get on well with mine as it has a larger toe box, but still a narrow'ish heel. the sole is fairly lightweight and reasonable to walk in.
NUKe

Post by londonbikerider »

pjclinch wrote:Shimanos seem to be modelled on razor blades for width, ...
Pete.

NickWi wrote:Northwave shoes are worth a look. I take a EU size 48 (UK 13) and found they suit my wide flippers very well.

I won't take this for granted: last winter I had tried some fancy Northwave winter shoes and boy they were rather narrow, weren't they? A complete change from their usual fit.
Same goes for Shimano: I have been using some of their "Gravel" shoes (don't shoot at me, I use them for commuting) that have a reasonable width in the toebox. Furthermore, am I wrong in remembering their old Mtb shoes, those chunky "DX" grey ones, being quite a roomy fit?
sixtoes

Post by sixtoes »

My feet are too wide for Shimano. Giro fit me well though.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Keen did a pair of shoes you could fit spds to and keen make wide shoes. I’ll have a look see if they are still available.
Edit: sorry looks like they’ve stopped doing them

I use Giro Republic LX shoes, as I find the combo of leather and laces means I can control fit around my wider feet better.