moulton model identification

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
speedsixdave

Re: moulton model identification

Post by speedsixdave »

Mick F wrote:Back at the OP picture, I see there are DT levers.

................... like wot I have fitted to my 2016 TSR. :D

...on a clever 'demount bracket' so the whole lever mount could be unscrewed easily and temporarily attached to the rear of the bike (I think) when the bike was split. There was also a less-effective coupling for the rear brake cable on the demount bracket too, although I suspect most owners changed this to the barrel couplers when they became available. What do you do with your gear levers when you split the bike, Mick?

Incidentally in these days of common Moulton suspicion I'd like to chip in with what a brilliant bit of engineering the split in the spaceframe is. Not only is the split almost universally trouble-free* and maintenance-free too, especially if you don't use it much, but the execution of the split and particularly the re-join is fantastic. Hook the bottom joint together and let gravity do the rest, then you just have to remember to put the kingpin back in and tighten it. We have an S&S-coupled tandem too, and trying to join and separate that with one person is not quite impossible but definitely not easy. The brilliance of the joint almost justifies the over-complication of the spaceframe.

*no doubt there are outlier examples of problems on individual bikes but joint problems are just not an issue that ever comes up when two or three Moultoneers are gathered together in one place. Although I would like to see both halves of the lower tie supported when the frame is separated.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

A while back I discovered that one of my chums had been riding their (heavily modified) APB (drops, skinny wheels, chrome paint job) around with the knurled joiner loose. When I saw this I visibly blanched; I don' t know how likely it is to come out or fail by fatigue in bending, but the mere thought gives me the absolute willies. I would also feel much happier if that strut was triangulated into the rest of the structure; as well as being vulnerable when the bike is separated, when the nut is loose the strut must flap about a small amount at least and may eventually fail by fatigue.

I check mine practically every time I ride the bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

Thank you all so much for the masses of interesting useful info and pricing advice.
I think it most likely that Mollie will shortly appear in the complete bike listings, you saw it here first !
Stay safe
cheers
Alan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Just to chip in. I used the day bag and carrier almost exclusively for a long time on my Jubilee and although never subjected to heavy loads, as the size precludes, it never suffered in any way and is ideally suited to its design purpose i.e. carrying all that you might need for a day out. I keep the large rear carrier on permanently these days as it is more practical for larger heavier loads (I have other lighter bikes for whizzing around on). The generator on the AM7 in question is a Sanyo one and I ran one of these, with a self charging battery back up system for when the bike stopped, for many years as this was my only and everyday bike. They had a reputation for slipping in the wet but this was easily overcome by gluing a strip of old tyre to the drum. It is no longer fitted to my bike as I find that modern LED lights which I can easily swap over from one bike to another are very efficient and don't eat batteries like the old lights used to.

IMO the AM7 in question is VERY original apart from the bar tape, as already mentioned, and as such could be worth quite a bit to a collector. The bars were originally fitted with Grab-on grips still available here:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-t ... ars-black/
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

This has been quite an education, I have been introduced to the small wheeled, but perfectly formed, world of Moultesers.
In this strange time of Cov 19 and assuming the owner is agreeable I will suggest putting it on for £1150 and see what happens.
thanks again all...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

speedsixdave wrote:What do you do with your gear levers when you split the bike, Mick?

Good morning!
I've just stopped for a cuppa whilst laying lino flooring in the bathroom. Completely empty in there - no wash basin, not bath or shower and no loo! :lol:

After I finish the flooring, the loo is the first thing to fit.

Sorry, I digress.

The Shimano indexed DT levers are fitted to the front rack bolts.
The gear cables and the rear brake have splitters, so when the frame is split, the cables are too, so no need to remove any levers.

Not mine, but the same colour as mine, and I have Speedplay Frog pedals too.
You can see the splitters.
photo-1-e1405256773875.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Where are you thinking of advertising it? I would strongly suggest an auction site, which I suppose means Ebay. It may be worth more than you think to the right buyer. I would also suggest trying to find the original loop that goes in the place of the day rack, the original documentation including owner's certificate, and changing the bar tape for Grab-ons. You can then advertise it as original as this is where its true value lies IMO. Good luck.
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

Ian,
OK, I s'pose that does make sense...
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

So, after all your excellent input, I went back into my friend's garage and amazingly found all the original paperwork and two sets of racks. I've spoken to my friend's daughter and she is going to try ebay to sell it. I might put a link onto the ctc site too.
Thank you all so much!
hercule

Post by hercule »

Brucey wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I must say I like the colour....

IIRC it was one of just a few colours to start with.... it may even have been the only colour for a while, so you would have been happy in the 1980s.... :wink:

cheers

One of the first innovations was to offer the AM 14 Blue in a colour that wasn’t grey! I got a day bag rack made for mine by the factory a few years ago and it was an amazingly good colour match. I dare say if you wanted to you could use the strut from the standard carrier along with a suitable P-clip to brace the day bag rack, but I’ve not found any need to.

The straight gauge forks came in sometime in the early 90s, mine (1990 build) originally came with the taper version... the newer ones make a noticeable improvement to handling.

And the hinged contraption hanging beneath the front of the GB stem is for fitting an old style bicycle lamp.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Never mind all that, what I'm more concerned about........

Is Mick F's toilet reinstalled and working?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Yes, and the wash basin too.
No shower or bath, but that could be a few days yet.

Smelly and sweaty for a while!
Mick F. Cornwall
dezzie

Post by dezzie »

Try Facebook, plenty Moulton groups on there and all enthusiasts, you will get a genuine price of what its worth and if anyone buys it you save all the ebay sellers fee crap to boot.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

dezzie wrote:Try Facebook, plenty Moulton groups on there and all enthusiasts, you will get a genuine price of what its worth and if anyone buys it you save all the ebay sellers fee crap to boot.
Tend to agree - have had lots of decent experiences buying / selling on ebay, but can also report that they're all out there - The Mad, The Bad & The Sad... approach ebay with caution unless already experienced.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Was just having a glance at ebay and there's another early AM7 on for sale at the moment:

Moulton AM7 with rear rack

Not as original as yours but currently £1440 collection only with two days to go. So my £1000-1200 estimate might have been a bit conservative, and I regret not buying the one for £800 at Moulton Weekend even more...

Good luck with it whatever you do, but my top recommendation is to keep it and ride it. Try it, you just might like it!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!