chain quick links - variation...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

chain quick links - variation...

Post by simonineaston »

I guess I ought to know better, but I'm losing my nerve with things like this, what with my recent experience of the myriad of bottom-bracket "standards"...
This is a simple Q. the majority of you patient readers will know the answer to at the drop of a hat, but do I need to take care to buy the right sort of chain "master link"? I understand most modern chains designed to use with cassettes that have a gazillion cogs are bushless and conversely, heavier duty chains have bushes, so I'm imagining that the respective pins will vary in size, between the two. Do I need to exercise discretion when buying master links?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Re: chain quick links - variation...

Post by Brucey »

yes; the master link must match the chain. Width is the critical dimension.

KMC make QLs that fit other people's chains and they usually fit OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Even if the width is the same I have found a link where the plates were too thick and caused a 'kerchink' every chain revolution, so had to replace with a thinner plated one.

So width and plate thickness.
So far I think all the bushes have been the same diameter.

I carry 8,9, 10 and 11 speed links on rides, but so far it's always been somebody else who needs them!
I work on the principle that if somebody else breaks down and can't fix it they will be holding me and the group up if I can't fix it
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pedals2slowly wrote:So width and plate thickness.
So far I think all the bushes have been the same diameter.

I carry 8,9, 10 and 11 speed links on rides, but so far it's always been somebody else who needs them!

Incidentally, KMC market two different widths of Quicklink as "8-speed" (as I found out the hard way).
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Brucey wrote:KMC make QLs that fit other people's chains and they usually fit OK.

I am finding this to be the case at the moment. KMC 9s quick-link on a 9s Comex chain.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Crikey - I'm glad I asked! Thanks for replies, guys.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

KMC used to have a list of all their quick links on their website, but I can't find it at the moment. The closest I can find is this :

https://www.kmcchain.com/en/series/chai ... s-6s-speed

If you click on the appropriate speed, the choice comes up underneath. Note there are 2 pages of choices.
Re model numbers, the last 2 digits seem to refer to the pin lenght, which broadly speaking gets shorter with increasing speeds, though the 7/8 speed chain (7.1mm pin) has a slightly shorter pin than the 8s oncly chain (7.3mm pin).
If the model number ends in "R". the pin is deemed reusable/rejoinable.

If you want to try something different, they also make these cotterpin versions!:

415H-OL.jpg
415H-OL.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 227 times
rjb

Post by rjb »

That's a half link. In the absence of a pin a suitable size nut and bolt works in an emergency or longer if it's single speed. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D