Noisy rear hubs: functionality or fashion?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gxaustin

Re: Noisy rear hubs: functionality or fashion?

Post by gxaustin »

As an inveterate wheel sucker I like a quiet freehub so my victims don't know I'm not pedalling :roll:
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Chris King hubs. Sounds like you are being followed by a cloud of demented bees. I prefer a nice quiet, preferably silent, hub.
PH

Post by PH »

Part of the value in a Rohloff is you get a choice of different freewheel sounds and if you're bored you can play guess the gear :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

freeflow wrote:Chris King hubs. Sounds like you are being followed by a cloud of demented bees. I prefer a nice quiet, preferably silent, hub.

what I have noticed with 'face ratchet' hubs and similar is that the sprung-loaded part of the freewheel clutch can go into (even noisier than usual) resonance at certain speeds; this speed effect is most noticeable in the workstand but on the road the noise can be pretty unbearable at certain speeds especially if it is reflected off hard surfaces (e.g. roadside walls). In this design of freewheel clutch, trying to use more heavier lube to stifle the sound is not a good way forwards; by the time it gets quieter this way, the clutch is no longer engaging properly either. Noisy forever....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

gxaustin wrote:As an inveterate wheel sucker I like a quiet freehub so my victims don't know I'm not pedalling :roll:

:D
I like that!
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Brucey wrote:...
Since this is an emotive issue for some folk it'd be nice if they gave you a choice of how noisy the freewheel is?

cheers

You have a valid point there, but won't this imply that keeping the hub noisy is a sort of "badge of honour"? (scratches head)