Aende frames

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
scoot

Aende frames

Post by scoot »

Hi,

I'm looking at an Aende Reynolds 653 frame for reasonable money, it looks quality from the pics and from what I can find on the web they seem interesting.

The only detail I have is that its 653 tubing and from the 90's, sorry I cant post any pics ( IT numptie plus none available here at work :) )

Can you point me in the right direction for some info please and offer any general comments.

TIA,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
peetee

Re: Aende frames

Post by peetee »

At its introduction 653 tubing was 2nd top in the Reynolds range. Above it was 753 and below it 531. 653 has a mixed range of tubing including items from 531 and 753.
All of these are formed from chrome-manganese-moly steel drawn into tubes to provide strength and light weight.
These days many tube sets have superior specification but you do have to be a bit of a purist, critical or a hard rider to notice any difference.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Aende were a popular builder particularly with the time trial set. As the majority of frames would have been customer specific, its nigh on impossible to say how any specific frame will perform. Providing sizing/angles are reasonable there is no reason why it shouldn't be a nice enough ride. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Peetee and Foxyrider,

thanks for the comments.

I'm going to measure my bikes this evening and compare geometry when I se it tomorrow. I'm after something faster than my Raleigh Record Ace (531 tubing) but dimensionally more like my more recent Giant Defy 3. hoping to build up a speedy endurance bike - well as speedy and endurance as a 65 year old can muster :)

Were they still building in the 90's?

Cheers,

Pasul
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

scoot wrote:
Were they still building in the 90's?

Cheers,

Pasul

Hi Paul,

I've owned two Aendes, one custom-made and one second hand, and he repaired my Moulton speedsix after a crash too. The custom was a 653 fillet-brazed road bike ordered in July 1994, for a cost of £375. It had a long top tube and was a really beautiful bike in metallic red and silver, but with standard 1" tubes it was probably a bit laterally-flexible for modern tastes, especially if you're coming from a CF Giant.

Aende was just one man, Alan 'Pongo' Braithwaite, and all his frames were built from his workshop (the ground floor of a house) on Castle Boulevard, Nottingham. As foxy says he was best known for TT bikes - ultra-short wheelbase in the 1970s and early 80s, then low-pros in the late 80s and early 90s. He did make road bikes and also the odd touring bike and tandem too I think. He packed up and moved to the Philippines in late '94 or early '95, so mine was one of the last and if yours is 653 it won't be too far from the end.

There are lots of snaps of Aendes on this flickr group, including some of mine. He was a proper old-school artisan builder, full of opinions on everything under the sun and especially other framebuilders' work. I'd buy it if I were you, Aendes are cult classics and vastly more characterful than most modern bikes.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Someone bought the name and they are still produced. Saw a lovely cf bike, ridden by a lady from Mansfield.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Speedsix dave

I've owned two Aendes, one custom-made and one second hand, and he repaired my Moulton speedsix after a crash too. The custom was a 653 fillet-brazed road bike ordered in July 1994, for a cost of £375. It had a long top tube and was a really beautiful bike in metallic red and silver, but with standard 1" tubes it was probably a bit laterally-flexible for modern tastes, especially if you're coming from a CF Giant.

TBH i'm happier on my '79 Raleigh Record Ace or mid 80's Raleigh Equipe. The plan with this is a neo retro build to get the best of both worlds, I suspect more modern wheels will help with the stiffness to balance the flex.

It looks good in a lilac colour with black Aende logos, not much age related damage from the pics but it will be a full frame up build and therefore costs could escalate if I get carried away :) in fact it looks very handsome :)

Cheers,

Paul
drossall

Post by drossall »

I can't add to what scoot said, but here's mine:

I built it up as a student in 1979. I bought the frame second-hand from Chevin Cycles in Otley, so I don't know its history. At the time it was pink (like a surprising number of the Aendes in scoot's link, though not as shocking as many). Since then it's been resprayed twice and had a few new parts (no aero stuff in the original build, obviously).

It's seen me most of the way through a low-key and entirely undistinguished (to put it mildly) racing career, and is little used now. However, it will probably get an outing in some club event soon, just for fun.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Drossal,

Nice bike

Paul
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi,

It was a real beauty of a bike but too small for me, so disappointed but I didn't buy it.

Thanks for your comments,

Paul