On One Geoff v OG bars?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

On One Geoff v OG bars?

Post by djnotts »

Anyone tried either, preferably both, of these bars? I THINK sweep back might help my wrist problems. Opinions welcome!
freeflow

Re: On One Geoff v OG bars?

Post by freeflow »

What wrist problems? Picture of your current handlebars please.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Problem - what I assume is related to ganglion cyst that has been on and off for last 60 years! Current bars too wide for me at 770. Rather than just cut them down thought I might try "swept back" as often said to be easier on wrists.
20200809_103925.jpg
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Its a moot choice but my first suggestion would be a pair of ergon grips. These would be around the same price as the handlebars. The flats on the ergon grips should be angled so that they support the palm of your hand and maintain a straight line from forearm through the wrist to the hand. i.e. there is no flex in the wrist at all.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Tried ergon angled as you suggest on another flat barred bike - some help I agree. Just think that swept backs worth a go, following the "swing arms up watch where hands end up" hints.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

Probably not much help, but I bought the OG V2 for a similar purpose, to replace the (almost) straight bars on my Trek FX3. They were only £14 in the Planet X sale, so I didn't have much to lose.
I think they've helped a little with aching wrists (getting old and arthritic, I think!), and certainly helped my dodgy shoulders. By rotating the bar in the clamp, you can get a slight downward, as well as rearward, slope, which I've tweaked until it felt natural. My Trek already has something similar to the Ergon grips, which I've moved to the new handlebars, so I don't know if they help as I've not used anything else.
The main thing to be aware of, though, is that it puts the grips considerably closer to you than a set of straight bars, which alters the riding position somewhat. I may try a longer stem to help compensate - there are some cheap 130mm ones around at the moment (e.g. Easton EA70 from Wiggle) as, for me, it certainly seems to be the right direction. Even if I end up going back to the original bars, it's fun to experiment :)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Yes, might need a longer stem, but overall a reasonably cheap trial!
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Very interesting, but too pricey for me.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A whole thread on the Geoff bars here:- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104410&hilit=Jones+handlebars
PX Mike bars have a similar backsweep as the Geoff's but are narrower at 660mm compared to the Geoff 710mm and without the loop.
I'd advise tipping the 'bars down about 15degrees rearward and using long grips such as Jones H grips :- https://www.bothybikes.co.uk/m9b8s126p9 ... Foam-205mm

I find they don't aggravate the Osteoarthtitis in my finger and thumb joints,easy on my wrists,and are very comfortable on long rides with excellent handling off road,even on very technical singletrack with alternative hand positions on tarmac.
10/10 from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nick12

Post by nick12 »

A cheaper alternative for the grips is to use foam grips for butterfly bars. I have found XLC grips to be a good diameter. Some are just too thin. At £6 cut to size that's 2sets.