Right to roam Scotland?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
toontra

Re: Right to roam Scotland?

Postby toontra » 28 Aug 2020, 12:44pm

A positive update. Had a lengthy call with the Angus access officer who seemed to take the incident quite seriously.

He's going to establish exactly what rights exist and take the appropriate action. He's also going to ask the dog control officer to contact the owner about the alsations.

Excellent response!

Whilst talking, a possible explanation of the bloke's puzzling attitude emerged. If he bought the land in 2003 and he could establish noone had used it as a right of way for 20 years in 2023, he could then claim privacy rights over the track. That may also explain the alsations - a further deterrent!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G973F using hovercraft full of eels.

Elizabeth_S

Postby Elizabeth_S » 28 Aug 2020, 12:56pm

No, the right to roam (it's actually called the right to responsible access) doesn't work like that, unless he can show that the track is within the curtilage of his property (and by this it is usually meant a defined garden ground or I think it's 440 m then you have the right to responsible access. There are very few actual legally proven rights of way in Scotland, the Darn Road is one that I know of, the rest are rights of way that are not legally proven (but mapped by Scotways) but that doesn't matter as you have access under the Land Reform Act. This one has been clearly there for a long time, and doesn't look like it would be frequently used, so I don't see why he's getting his knickers in a twist.

toontra

Postby toontra » 28 Aug 2020, 1:06pm

Thanks for the clarification, Elizabeth. Hopefully the helpful access officer will get to the bottom of the rights. As you say, I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of people along here each year.

I've just reread the thread and followed one of Will's links which I missed on first reading. Lo and bebold, the (only) house was sold 3 weeks ago. That makes sense, as suggested by others upthread. A new owner with an aggressive attitude - and dogs!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G973F using hovercraft full of eels.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Aug 2020, 1:16pm

AIUI It was land that was sold not the house. Probably going to try for planning permission
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/