Personal identification

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Beakyboy

Personal identification

Post by Beakyboy »

How many of you have ID on your bike or person in case of an accident?

I have a small ID tag on my saddle bag, one of the ones where you write on a piece of paper which inserts into a small metal tube, as per the ones used for dogs and cats. I also stumbled across these these which I thought was a good idea.

Not that i'm planning to have an accident................. :wink: :!:
May the wind always be at your rear!
Si

Post by Si »

My phone has a "Home" number set in it so if it survived any accident then they could work it out by calling my wife. Also carry wallet with cards, etc that would give them a clue.

Have thought about getting an ID bracelet but it's just more clutter to haul around.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can tell you from experience that quickly establishing the identity of a casualty can be difficult if they have nothing obvious with them, in a place where it can easily be found.

The problem can be: unknown casualty; anxious parent/ wife / girlfriend on phone; person taking call wants to get as much ID info from them as poss., without wrongly confirming their fears or raising their hopes.

This is made many times worse with multiple casualties.

Very few casualties remain permanently unidentified: fingerprints, DNA, dental records are normally more than adequate - it's that initial emergency period where having easily found ID is vital, to minimise the heartache. (Phone numbers are probably better than addresses in that they are quicker, and minimise the risk that a thief can match keys to a dwelling.)
stevew

Post by stevew »

Is this not a case for an ICE entry in the mobile phone ? (IN CASE of EMERGENCY)
1999 ICE Classic NT
Fort s/s
Brompton
26" Thorn (converted to E-Bike)
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity. Robert Anthony
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Do not rely totally on ICE - it is of limited use.

Firstly it is NOT something that is looked for. It should be secondaryto treatment and assessment of injuries.

If the phone actually belongs to the person you think it does
If the phone is undamaged and working
If the phone is on
If there is no lock on the phone (differs with phone)
If there is no code to be entered to give you access
If there is a signal
If there is power in the battery
If the number is still up to date
If the person is available to answer

Even the proprietary ICE companies recognise these limitations, and are running printed versions alongside the mobile phone.

Printed or engraved is far better. Dogtags in particular are far more robust

IF you want to go one better have a look at RoadID or similar which have a number to co-ordinate on the tag.
DavidT

ID

Post by DavidT »

For those with medical conditions that may need flagging up in the event of things going a bit wrong you can get a Medic Alert emblem - on necklace, bracelet etc.

Much easier to remember than some form of wallet based card/ID, especially when out for a quick spin.

www.medicalert.org.uk

David
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I carry a laminated card with my info on it:
Name
Address
NOK
Phone numbers
NI number
DOB
Blood group

The trouble is, and I do actually fret about this a little, all my info is there JUST for someone to steal and impersonate me!

Devil and the deep blue sea?
Mick F. Cornwall
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

If the Government get their way we'll soon all be carrying identity.

Just in reference to the previous post, would the medical services actually act on an indication of blood group like that? I remember someone telling me that they wouldn't, but would make their own tests to determine group.

Tony S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good point!

I could have borrowed (or stolen) the bike with the info in the saddle bag!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

About 15 years ago, a train driver en route from Bradford to Leeds in the middle of the night, thought he had hit somebody walking on the railway. (A truly terrible experience for a train driver, even in the dark.)

A British Transport Police case, but at that time of night they asked for help with the urgent search of a long length of track. The casualty was found dead by the line. A visit to what was assumed to be the deceased's next-of-kin from details in 'his' wallet, led to the owner of the wallet who had had it stolen earlier in the evening. (Shortcuts along the railway etc are a way of avoiding the roads with the probably rare possibility of patrolling police.)

I suppose no means of ID is foolproof, short of having all your details tatooed somewhere prominent, but every little helps.

edited to 'every little helps' from, 'very little helps'
Last edited by thirdcrank on 14 Feb 2009, 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmiller

Re: Personal identification

Post by dmiller »

Beakyboy wrote: I also stumbled across these these which I thought was a good idea.

Not that i'm planning to have an accident................. :wink: :!:

I actually have a road ID for my wrist.

Very handy the last time I was run over as my phone was wrecked and I was so shocked / scared / hurting I couldn't speak. I thought I could but the paramedics told me all I managed to say was:
"aaghhrhehdhdhshs hurts arrrhghghg fiona agghghgh".

It was very nice that the Police were able to get my wife to meet me at hospital. Although I wish they hadn't phoned my mum as well - she tends to worry a bit! :D

The lettering has lasted over a scottish year without fading / wearing so it seems pretty stable.

It wont save your life but a friendly face in a hospital is worth way more than the £12 it ended up costing me.

David.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I carry medic alert necklace with NOK details as i do not always carry my wallet/purse, just some cash for a cuppa, riding 50 mile events with the turn up to 25 miles away from the race HQ made realise how vulnerable I could be out there.

And quite correct medical authorities do not "use" your blood group details as all blood transfused is specifically cross matched to your blood sample before being issued for use.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells