rack with integral slot for U lock

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

rack with integral slot for U lock

Postby jawaka » 4 Sep 2020, 6:39pm

I remember seeing one a long time ago and as I'm looking for a replacement rack, I thought of this but I can't find one anywhere now. It was a standard rack except it could fix in a U lock when horizontal, underneath the carrier.

Seems a great idea but maybe it was never popular?

foxyrider

Re: rack with integral slot for U lock

Postby foxyrider » 4 Sep 2020, 8:23pm

think you need to look at Tubus Racktime range. I have seen others but i couldn't tell you brand or availability.

pretty sensible idea but of course, you need the right U lock to make it work! 8)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 5 Sep 2020, 12:59pm

jawaka wrote:I remember seeing one a long time ago and as I'm looking for a replacement rack, I thought of this but I can't find one anywhere now. It was a standard rack except it could fix in a U lock when horizontal, underneath the carrier.

Seems a great idea but maybe it was never popular?

Was the rack you are thinking of a tubus locc? Discontinued now but you might be able to pick one up somewhere. I got one a couple of years ago from a German site on clearance. They are designed to work specifically with abus d locks. It's a rack with a long and wide top platform and a lower hanging rail, using larger diameter tubing to compensate for the lack of triangulation, so it's heavier than other tubus racks but less stiff regardless. Having said that it's still stiffer than most other racks, and certainly lighter than many other heavy duty racks from the likes of surly etc.

Racktime is the budget subsidiary line of aluminium racks from tubus. Maybe they do a model with integrated lock bracket.

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 6 Sep 2020, 12:27pm

It was a Tubus locc as I have one and I also bought at a discount from Germany: specifically designed for Abus d locks.

Sid Aluminium

Postby Sid Aluminium » 6 Sep 2020, 9:09pm

Many years ago, back when we were still in short pants*, Alex Moulton bikes offered a rack for the AM series that held the Kryptonite lock deemed most useful for locking up the bike.

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 3.05.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 3.05.47 PM.png (271.38 KiB) Viewed 143 times

Lock model went obsolete. Phthphth.

*Hmm. I guess we're still in short pants.