Travel spanners

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rjb

Re: Travel spanners

Postby rjb » 7 Sep 2020, 3:42pm

Here's a selection to jog your memory.
This lot came with bike purchases.
IMG_20200907_152459.jpg

This job lot of dumbbell spanners came mainly with puncture repair kits from the pound shop. But there is also a more substantial Swiss version. I wouldn't trust these on a tracknut as they are probably aluminium.
IMG_20200907_152805.jpg

And finally the last few unbroken spanners from a Mafac toolkit from the 1970's. The spoke key includes a 15mm spanner but you would need an additional lever using one of the other tools to use it and you wouldn't get much leverage from it.
IMG_20200907_152559.jpg

Enjoy. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 7 Sep 2020, 5:31pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I've never used or knowingly seen a Cooltool but £50 could surely buy a fair few individual spanners, hex keys etc.

And combined take up much more space and more weight, I'm not arguing that the £55 for a NOS is bit OTT but something that does a multitude of tasks and so far from personal use has done it very well, for some it might be the type of thing to answer the OP question of which travel spanner. The fact it has full length AKs works over the usual bike tool, the 8 and 10mm (so can do up modern self extracting crank bolts plus box 14/15mm makes it even more of a bonus.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Sep 2020, 7:16pm

FWIW a lot of dumbbell spanners are just a zinc die casting. When 'challenged', they just snap without warning, and the jaggy ends can make nasty gashes in you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 7 Sep 2020, 7:23pm

a zinc die casting
I always had my doubts about those... even to a arts-studying teenager, they never seemed like proper metal! More in common with toys than tools - a Great Idea until you actually needed it, whereupon they often let you down. My heart sank when a chum whipped one out, while we attempted to adjust his 6 year old's bike 'bars, the other day. Fortunately I had something better, in the form of a Leatherman. Horray for the Yanks!
EDIT: cheers for the spanner photos, rjb - a formidable collection!!
Last edited by simonineaston on 7 Sep 2020, 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
byyeee,
SiE

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 7 Sep 2020, 8:21pm

Brucey wrote:FWIW a lot of dumbbell spanners are just a zinc die casting. When 'challenged', they just snap without warning, and the jaggy ends can make nasty gashes in you.

cheers

I 'stole' the ones in my mothers tool box and chucked them in with the metal recycling, the most hateful bits of scrap being described as 'tools'

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 7 Sep 2020, 8:35pm

...and this one, dear readers, can be yours for a snip, at tuppence change from a ton!! I kid you not - but don't despair, as it comes with free postage :lol:
Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 20.29.36.png
incomplete CoolTool, found on ebay - offered with free dirt...
For that price, you'd have thought they'd have the decency to have cleaned it up.
Last edited by simonineaston on 8 Sep 2020, 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
byyeee,
SiE

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 8 Sep 2020, 7:03am

simonineaston wrote:...and this one, dear readers, can be yours for a snip, at tuppence change from a ton!! I kid you not - but don't despair, as it comes with free postage :lol: Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 20.29.36.pngFor that price, you'd have thought they'd have the decency to have cleaned it up.

I have one of those in much better condition.
The one shown is missing two hex keys that were held in the two hex shaped holes at the right. It included a chain breaker which worked on 9 speed chains.

Mike

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 8 Sep 2020, 9:51am

Brucey wrote:FWIW a lot of dumbbell spanners are just a zinc die casting. When 'challenged', they just snap without warning, and the jaggy ends can make nasty gashes in you.

cheers

Happened to the one I had many years ago, though without injury. But long before that, most of the corners had rounded off. Pretty spannery as a spanner.

I did use to have a flat spanner similar to the top one in rjb's photo, stamped "Made in GDR". Don't know how it came into my possession. It was quite tough.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 8 Sep 2020, 10:50pm

I need something for wheelnuts myself. I rather like the look of the Surly Jethro Tule - but £25...sucks teeth... or there's the Park Tools version at £15. Both include bottle openers which might affect the perceived value. But I'm most likely going to cut down a combination spanner.
The advantage of a short well fitting spanner is that you can use your foot on it in extremis. Try that with a socket and you'll likely find it popping off because there's so much offset between load and effort.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 9 Sep 2020, 5:53pm

The Raleigh branded version of the park tool spanner can be found a bit cheaper than the original.

It's very hard to beat a combination spanner for value though, at a tenth of the prices you are looking at for those others.

slowster

Postby slowster » 9 Sep 2020, 7:24pm

It looks to me as though the Surly Jethro Tule and PDW Wrencho spanners are of the traditional design which applies most force at the corners of the nuts, with a consequent greater risk of rounding the corners. I cannot see any good reason for that, since Snap-On's patent for its 'Flank Drive' design has long expired. It does look like the Park Tool spanner uses the design.

I don't see the point of buying such bike specific tools, given that spanners from quality tool brands are cheaper and probably better quality.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 9 Sep 2020, 10:42pm

@ ~30Nm torque, the load on each of six points of a 15mm Nut is (in round numbers) ~50-60kgf. I don't think worrying about the niceties of flank drive etc is warranted at this kind of torque, unless you have spectacularly cheesy nuts.

Currently you can buy a 'silverline' 15mm combination spanner on ebay for about £2.50 with carriage. Cheap, but good enough to be cut down and carried on the bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 9 Sep 2020, 11:38pm

If you really want a bottle opener on a bike tool, you can get Pinhead security skewers, which have one on the key. And then you won't need a spanner for your wheel nuts at all!
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pinhead-Twin-P ... _62094.htm?

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 10 Sep 2020, 4:32pm

Mike_Ayling wrote:
simonineaston wrote:...and this one, dear readers, can be yours for a snip, at tuppence change from a ton!! I kid you not - but don't despair, as it comes with free postage :lol: Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 20.29.36.pngFor that price, you'd have thought they'd have the decency to have cleaned it up.

I have one of those in much better condition.
The one shown is missing two hex keys that were held in the two hex shaped holes at the right. It included a chain breaker which worked on 9 speed chains.

Mike

Works on 10 and 11 speed just fine as well.

gazza_d

Postby gazza_d » 12 Sep 2020, 5:13pm

From a jumble, online or have you managed to find somewhere with them in stock Gaz?

gaz wrote:I picked up a NOS CoolTool a few weeks back. IMO n+1 applies.