Which work spd shoes - 3000 miles per year?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mr_mark_sid

Which work spd shoes - 3000 miles per year?

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Dear Forum,

I am struggling to find commuting spd shoes which are presentable for meetings. They need to be black leather and suitable for wearing all day on and off the bike with multiple rides in a given day and through all weather.

The best I have found lasted 6 months. I want to do much better, maybe two years or more. I have been spending £40 to £60 until now and replacing every 6 months. That budget implies £160 to £240 over two years but I do not want to spend that money on one pair without being pretty certain they will last.

I have had a look a quoc pham and dromarti. Has anyone experience with how well these last?

All suggestions and experience very welcome.

Thank you!

Mark
fastpedaller

Re: Which work spd shoes - 3000 miles per year?

Post by fastpedaller »

Could you take a pair of 'work shoes' with you to change into?
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Thankyou for responding fastpeddlar. Sadly I can't change shoes. I am rushing between engagements often with full paniers and so I end up without time or space for extra shoes. I do need presentable shoes on arrival.

I do agree though. The extra engineering for dual use often seems to lead to failures.....
slowster

Post by slowster »

A pair of cage pedals, e.g. MKS Sylvan Touring, Zefal toe clips and whatever shoes you like.

mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thank you slowster. I will keep considering the toe clips option. It would certainly be cheaper and your suggestion is a good prompt...

However, for riding I have a personal preference for clipless pedals and hence my quest for better shoes for the job. Further suggestions very welcome!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

These are superb... LEJOG, commute, week day ride out .... i cant fault them ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Cycling ... c&LH_BIN=1

On one pair of mine i removed the velcro straps and with a punch and eyelets i converted them to lace ups .... why .... because i could ...
Super shoes ...

If you want business shoes with SPD cleats .. best of luck ... they'll cost more than my bike ....lol
Last edited by landsurfer on 5 Sep 2020, 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thanks landsurfer. These do look very good. I have had success with those materials in the past. I will give them a careful look.....
slowster

Post by slowster »

Not black and I think Reynolds' last is reckoned not to suit wider feet, but these don't look too bad.

mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Wow, the Reynolds ones look cracking! Half price too and I might get away with the dark brown....

I just emailed them to work out how and when I specify size in the purchase process...
Ray

Post by Ray »

The Exustar are well made and polish up well:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m6b0s154p33 ... vio-SP-705
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

I have used a pair of Quoc Pham for the last 2 1/2 years. They've been fantastic, comfortable straight out of the box. Used for daily rides and touring. I'd certainly recommend them and they'd be on my list when they wear out but I can't see that happening for a while.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I wouldn't expect any pair of leather shoes to survive a year's daily wear in all weathers, at least not without a resole, and most SPD soles can't be replaced. I'm pretty hard on shoes - I walked a couple of miles most days (at least pre-lockdown!) - but on my most-worn pairs I'd expect to have to get them re-heeled every six months or so and re-soled once a year. I suppose if you're cycling most places rather than walking then the wear may be less.

That said, I've heard good things about both Dromarti and Quoc Phams; Giro Republics also come in classy-looking leather, and have replaceable wear pads. I think Reynolds are made to order, so they may well be able to do black. William Lennon's cycle shoes are suitable for wider feet, and can be made in a variety of styles and colour combinations, but i think they still don't offer an SPD sole. Might be worth checking with them, as from the look of the Reynolds pic they might be a standard Vibram item.
iow

Post by iow »

Dromarti - The finest leather cycling shoes on the planet.
I'm bound to say that as I own the brand, but I have a pair which have covered 25k+ miles on the bike and 100's of miles walking which still look fantastic. (Mod's please remove if this is in breach of forum rules)
dromarti_cycling_shoes-1598266134644.jpg
IMG_20191023_131239_266.jpg
mark
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

These are not leather but are comfortable off the bike and I think very presentable.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe
Attachments
dhb-Dorica-MTB-Shoe-Cycling-Shoes-Black-2017-A1543BLACK39-9.jpg
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thank you ianusud

iandusud wrote:These are not leather but are comfortable off the bike and I think very presentable.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe

I agree they are comfortable and I had high hopes but this is one of my fails.

Sadly this material (and not a criticism of the shoe but the material) has failed for me relatively quickly on two or three different shoes. I am surprised it is still used. It seems to crease when wet and then fail at the crease or at the glued seam at the sole. I have had dhb dorica and muddy fox (sports direct) shoes fail after around three months in the same way. The Exustar Stelvios that Ray suggests above have provided best longevity in the ones I have tried (around 9 months) and I think the different material had a lot to do with that.

Thank you all for the posts. This has to be the most helpful set of suggestions I have had from a query!

Mark
Last edited by mr_mark_sid on 6 Sep 2020, 1:36pm, edited 2 times in total.