Which work spd shoes - 3000 miles per year?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mr_mark_sid

Re: Which work spd shoes - 3000 miles per year?

Post by mr_mark_sid »

iow wrote:Dromarti - The finest leather cycling shoes on the planet.
I'm bound to say that as I own the brand, but I have a pair which have covered 25k+ miles on the bike and 100's of miles walking which still look fantastic. (Mod's please remove if this is in breach of forum rules)
$matches[2] IMG_20191023_131239_266.jpg

thanks iow. It feels an honour to get a reply from such a well-respected brand. As I look between the Reynolds and the Dromarti, a deciding factor has to be how easy it is to get them resoled. It looks like Reynolds can do this. Please can you advise whether your team at Dromarti will resole a shoe?

Many thanks!

Mark
PH

Post by PH »

I have no suggestions to offer, but I'm still working out how you manage to keep shoes looking respectable from one end of the day to the other. I couldn't manage that on a single 12 mile commute, unless using covers, which were more faff than changing shoes.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Hi PH,

Winter mud can be a challenge for sure but I find toe covers cover most eventualities with full covers if need be. They are tiny to stash away and easy to wip on and off ... so far so good after a few years.

Mark
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks Mark, yes I did wonder if you were using using covers, I hadn't considered the storage issue, which may be why I couldn't fathom not simply changing shoes. I'm sorry not to have any practical suggestions, but continue to follow with interest.
iow

Post by iow »

mr_mark_sid wrote:thanks iow. It feels an honour to get a reply from such a well-respected brand. As I look between the Reynolds and the Dromarti, a deciding factor has to be how easy it is to get them resoled. It looks like Reynolds can do this. Please can you advise whether your team at Dromarti will resole a shoe?

Many thanks!
Mark

Thanks. No, the Dromarti aren't intended to be resoled. Apart from some 2000 Euro custom shoes, I'm not aware of any SPD shoe which is - The R.E.W Reynolds are a great choice, but check that their SPD brogues can be resoled as they look to be a different construction from their flat shoes.
mark
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thankyou iow for a very professional response. I am going to get the Reynolds for this winter (and the next ...) and Dromarti for next summer (and the next ...).

I can reveal why I need smart black shoes in that I am a parish priest. I know that the red stitch on the Dromarti will make my parishioners assume I have aspirtions to be a cardinal ... :lol: as if!! :lol:

Thank you very much all for these comments. I will still wrestle about the giro and the quoc pham but I think I have a clear enough idea how to make my longer-term investment.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

A cassock hides many sartorial sins, but is alas less practical on the bike...

(My father was a parish priest, and had a collection of black shoes. He mostly walked or drove on his pastoral visits, I'm afraid, so no tips there!)
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

The cassock may hide the shoes but muddy footprints up the nave adequately reveal the stain of sin ... no hiding from that :D

Still the co2 from my parishioners' cars is a far worse emission .....
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

A different approach.Try a pair of flat mtb pedals with the replaceable threaded grub screws which provide fantastic grip on any shoe.I,m a fan of spd,s and have them on all my bikes bar one,i.e.my "shopper" which have the said mtb flats.I also use this bike for ride-hike trips enabling light walking shoes to be used.Decent mtb flats can be got sub £20,worth a try maybe.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thanks cyclop. I may well try this at some stage.

Mark
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I had some of the Exustar leather shoes that Chris Juden used to rave about. They stretched after a while and I could only wear them with extra-thick socks thereafter. Also, laces are a bad thing on cycling shoes, especially if you ride fixed.

If you must buy leather cycling shoes, buy them a bit tight to start with.
borisface

Post by borisface »

As a parish priest wouldn't you be better off with SPD sandals, as I think you'll find that's what Jesus would have worn?

I have some Northwave goretex MTB shoes with vibram sole. They're great for walking and waterproof as well. Although I don't use them everyday, I have had them for about 8 years.
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

thanks rogerzilla. Good tip re:leather. I have a way of threading the laces into the inside of the top lace hole to keep the lace-tie safe....but thanks for the heads up.

love the sandles idea borisface - thanks for the giggle. I often muse on 'What bike would Jesus ride?' :D For now I am guessing a Thorn ....

The Northwaves sound good. I will have a look.

thank you!

Mark
borisface

Post by borisface »

Touche! There could have been a thorn, but I guess there might also have been a cross bike.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Lake use black leather in many of their shoes and boots, so I suggest you look at their MTB and winter ranges.

I suspect some of their shoes and boots might appeal were it not for the silver 'Lake' logo on the sides. I think that logo is typically embossed, but I think that the silver lettering itself could possibly be peeled off or otherwise removed, although it would probably be a tedious painstaking task.