Frame damaged on first ride

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jd843

Frame damaged on first ride

Post by Jd843 »

I got a new bike online, and rode it for the first time the day after it was delivered. About 5 miles into the ride, riding uphill, already in 34x28, the chain dropped off the front. I hadn’t even changed gear at the front when it happened. I stopped pedalling straight away, but it was too late. The chain was completely jammed next to the frame, taking lots of paint with it. This happened twice more on the ride in exactly the same way.

Before this, I honestly can’t remember the last time I dropped the chain. It was nothing I did wrong - the bike wasn’t set up properly. The retailer claim the bikes they sell are ready to ride straight out of the box (as they should be).

If you were me, would you expect the retailer to do something about it? Or would you just sort it yourself?
peetee

Re: Frame damaged on first ride

Post by peetee »

Is the 28 your largest cog? If so, for it to drop off the inner ring when in 1st gear rather than changing gear it sounds like the front mech inner limit screw is too far out. I suspect the outer cage plate was too close to the chain and flexing of the frame and cranks was enough to cause the problem. In first gear the cage plate should still be clear of the chain so yes, I would say it hasn’t been set up properly.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The short answer is that clearly the front mech hasn't been set up correctly, so any damage resulting from that is due to that failing. So yes, don't keep riding it if you want to get the retailer to deal with it.
Jd843

Post by Jd843 »

peetee wrote:Is the 28 your largest cog? If so, for it to drop off the inner ring when in 1st gear rather than changing gear it sounds like the front mech inner limit screw is too far out. I suspect the outer cage plate was too close to the chain and flexing of the frame and cranks was enough to cause the problem. In first gear the cage plate should still be clear of the chain so yes, I would say it hasn’t been set up properly.

It’s my third largest (34, 30, 28) - does that make a difference to what the cause would be?
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

no, its dropped off the inside cos the stopper screw isnt correctly adjusted.
Good luck getting recompense
I'd want a new bike or a big partial refund
Hope you paid by credit card.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Jd843 wrote:
peetee wrote:Is the 28 your largest cog? If so, for it to drop off the inner ring when in 1st gear rather than changing gear it sounds like the front mech inner limit screw is too far out. I suspect the outer cage plate was too close to the chain and flexing of the frame and cranks was enough to cause the problem. In first gear the cage plate should still be clear of the chain so yes, I would say it hasn’t been set up properly.

It’s my third largest (34, 30, 28) - does that make a difference to what the cause would be?

Not really. I was just trying to better understand the bike set up.
It’s not unusual for boxed bikes to need adjustments such as I have described. It’s also possible that it has had some rough treatment while boxed and the front mech has been rotated slightly. Was it running quietly before the problem?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Irresective of transit issues bike should be checked before sale,and indexation precludes user error.Return bike and choose one of these options
1.full refund
2.new bike
3.keep bike and seek cash settlement/free gifts to restore goodwill.
If resistant return to shop at busy time and wear bright clothing etc. to gain attention of customers.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Simples: don't buy a bike online.

Go to a bike shop instead.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Morzedec wrote:Simples: don't buy a bike online.

Go to a bike shop instead.

I’ve bought a number of bikes from bike shops and, will only one exception (the one with Di2), have had to tweak gears on every one though only 1 has involved having to adjust end stops.
Navara

Post by Navara »

I would always check the indexing/limits on any bike before riding whether bought online or not.I would also give any bolts a once over to make sure they're secure.
On our last Majorca trip my mate brought his brand new,never ridden,Planet-X Pro-Carbon along.It was delivered a few days before we flew out and he hadn't had the chance to test ride it.The gears were all over the place.OK it could have been due to the bike been thrown about by the Airport staff but as it was in a solid box I'd go for it wasn't set up correctly anyway.It as only an indexing problem so no great issue but had the bike gone to someone with no knowledge then it would have been different!

I can't see the OP having any real case but will stand corrected if the retailer does anything about it.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

IF its sold as fully set up then fully set up it should be.
One could argue that the customer should exercise caution in riding his new bike, but why should the customer know anything ? Its for the shop to set it up properly in the first place.
Doesnt sound like the paint is very good.

What do you want ?
some cash
a new bike
An apology
A tin of touch up paint
A big day out in court ?
Jd843

Post by Jd843 »

Navara wrote:I would always check the indexing/limits on any bike before riding whether bought online or not.I would also give any bolts a once over to make sure they're secure.
On our last Majorca trip my mate brought his brand new,never ridden,Planet-X Pro-Carbon along.It was delivered a few days before we flew out and he hadn't had the chance to test ride it.The gears were all over the place.OK it could have been due to the bike been thrown about by the Airport staff but as it was in a solid box I'd go for it wasn't set up correctly anyway.It as only an indexing problem so no great issue but had the bike gone to someone with no knowledge then it would have been different!

I can't see the OP having any real case but will stand corrected if the retailer does anything about it.

I know what you’re saying, but the retailer boldly claim on their website that all you have to do when you get your bike is put the pedals on and it’s ready to ride. If they don’t want to set the bike up properly then fine, but they should be honest that it might need a tune up before the first ride.
Jd843

Post by Jd843 »

greyingbeard wrote:IF its sold as fully set up then fully set up it should be.
One could argue that the customer should exercise caution in riding his new bike, but why should the customer know anything ? Its for the shop to set it up properly in the first place.
Doesnt sound like the paint is very good.

What do you want ?
some cash
a new bike
An apology
A tin of touch up paint
A big day out in court ?

Ideally a new bike. Then I’d put a chain catcher on it since it seems particularly prone to getting the chain jammed after a simple chain drop.

Second choice would be some cash to take it somewhere for servicing and repair of the paint. There’s a shop less than an hour away who could fix it I think.
Jd843

Post by Jd843 »

peetee wrote:
Jd843 wrote:

Not really. I was just trying to better understand the bike set up.
It’s not unusual for boxed bikes to need adjustments such as I have described. It’s also possible that it has had some rough treatment while boxed and the front mech has been rotated slightly. Was it running quietly before the problem?

It was running very quietly before that - I had no warning at all.

The front cage doesn’t look too far in at all. Could it be something else causing it?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

OP wrote:

"I know what you’re saying, but the retailer boldly claim on their website that all you have to do when you get your bike is put the pedals on and it’s ready to ride. If they don’t want to set the bike up properly then fine, but they should be honest that it might need a tune up before the first ride."

I would just send it back and say "it doesn't work". No argument, no reasoning, it doesn't work full stop.