26 inch Tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GeekDadZoid

26 inch Tyres

Postby GeekDadZoid » 8 Sep 2020, 10:09pm

Good Evening All

My "New Normal" commute has began I am two days into it and got nice and wet both days so far, my commute is 9 miles each way on a mixture of road, track, cycle path and segregated cycle path. My main bike is a Hybrid with 700c wheels and I managed to pick up some Michelin World Tour Bike Tyres for it from CRC for about £12 for a pair which I think was a bargain, 100 miles in on mixes terrain and weather and I am happy with them.

My new Backup Bike is a 26" wheeled Winora from Germany and I am currently getting it ready to perform backup duties, and possibly be prepared for worse weather, I could get the same Michelins the 26" version are a a few pound more so they are currently heading my list, but does anyone have a recommendation for a budget 26" tyre that is reasonable on the road but can also handle some mud as my route can take me along a muddy track for a 1km or so, I can avoid it if it gets too bad, but it would throw me on the main road I am looking to avoid.

Any suggestions will be great.

MarcusT

Re: 26 inch Tyres

Postby MarcusT » 9 Sep 2020, 5:16am

Kenda makes some budget 26ers. They don't usually have model names for their budget line, just numbers. I cannot see the model I picked up, but it was a trail tire with a solid center ridge . CST also has a few models as well
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 9 Sep 2020, 7:12am

Michelin world tour tyres are good for the money and roll reasonably well but they don't have any puncture protection. You might find that something tougher is better for commuting on, once the weather turns more autumnal/wintery.

Note of caution; there are many 26" rim sizes, and the tyres are obviously not compatible with one another. The most common rim size is 559mm but there are at least four others; plenty of potential for going wrong here!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster

Postby hamster » 9 Sep 2020, 8:08am

Conti Double Fighter are cheap and semi-slick - probably a good choice as an alternative to the main bike if you get a sustained wet spell and things get muddy.

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 9 Sep 2020, 8:13am

@marcust I've had a quick look for Kendra's but I'll have to have a proper look later as not much is coming up, the one you describe sounds ideal.

@brucey thanks for the heads up on the tyre sizes actually the ones I had been looking at where the wrong one so thanks. As for the puncture protection I have considered some Swalbe?? Marathons or such like but wasn't sure if the same level of protection could be had from using a liner? I have some slime which I will be putting in and carry a spare tube and required tools.

Working from home today hoping to get an hour on the bike at lunch.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 9 Sep 2020, 5:18pm

Tyre liners sound OK but people get punctures from the edge of the liner chafing the tube.
My son in law is a slime fiend. Everything is full of slime; the bikes, the jogging buggy....so every time I visit, there is a new problem; this, that or the other tyre won't pump up because the valve is blocked with slime. Last visit it was the track pump. A decent pump (which I bought him) wouldn't work because the connector was full of slime and corroded. Hopefully he has sourced and fitted a new connector, so I can bring the bunged-up one home and try to get it going again, ready for when he bungs up the new one.
Slime is designed to bung up holes. It works. It just doesn't know which holes to bung up, and which not to.
I got some tyres like this recently for a very good price https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/55719/products/schwalbe-delta-cruiser-tyre-black.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=SCH7208&msclkid=2c6368d012211bae95103788ee175489&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping%20Campaign&utm_term=4575067885299946&utm_content=All%20Products. You will have to hunt for your size!
I think the good price was because they are in the middle of making (pointless?) changes to the tread pattern; I guess its somebody's job to keep "improving" stuff. I like the tyres; they have a strip of Kevlar under the tread which gives adequate (for me) puncture resistance, just like the very old Marathons, before they "improved" them with a great heavy stodgy extra layer of rubber under the tread.
I haven't seen a Michelin "World tour" for years, maybe I should have a look. 20 years ago, the compound was soft, so you got good grip but picked up a lot of thorn punctures in hedge-flailing season.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 9 Sep 2020, 8:32pm

I used to use tyre liners ( and may return to them when I do the King Alfreds Way) but I also have had punctures from them nipping the tube. You have to be very very careful about putting then in the tyre, and it isnt easy. Also the ones I had presumably moved around the tyre a bit and managed to wear away the tyres soft inner coating revealing the Kevlar carcass ribbed base, so I am not sure I would ever that tyre again without the liner as the inner tube would be against this rather hard ribbing - that tyre was a Kevlar Marathon - the predecessor to the latest Green Guard.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 9 Sep 2020, 9:26pm

Schwalbe Silento or wiggle commuter tyres would be my budget choice. Not had a puncture on either, but they haven't had the most use as I don't ride gravel extensively.

Cheers James

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 9 Sep 2020, 9:41pm

Thanks for all the answers so far, think I have a few for the list, now to go shopping.

Especially interesting to hear about the issues with slime, I have bought the stuff so might put it in the main bike and see how I get on.

On a plus point got the Winora out for a proper inspection today, I bought it online and haven't had any time to inspect it in-depth. Both tyres are well past their useful life and the tubes also, brake pads also need changing but other than that it's been a very well cared for bike. The original owner brought it over from Germany and had done a number of tours on it.

UpWrong

Postby UpWrong » 9 Sep 2020, 9:43pm

531colin wrote:I got some tyres like this recently for a very good price https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/55719/products/schwalbe-delta-cruiser-tyre-black.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=SCH7208&msclkid=2c6368d012211bae95103788ee175489&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping%20Campaign&utm_term=4575067885299946&utm_content=All%20Products. You will have to hunt for your size!
I think the good price was because they are in the middle of making (pointless?) changes to the tread pattern; I guess its somebody's job to keep "improving" stuff. I like the tyres; they have a strip of Kevlar under the tread which gives adequate (for me) puncture resistance, just like the very old Marathons, before they "improved" them with a great heavy stodgy extra layer of rubber under the tread.
I haven't seen a Michelin "World tour" for years, maybe I should have a look. 20 years ago, the compound was soft, so you got good grip but picked up a lot of thorn punctures in hedge-flailing season.

I agree, the Delta Cruisers are like the old 50 epi Marathons. Decent tyres for the money.

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 9 Sep 2020, 10:48pm

A word in favour of Schwalbe city jet - on offer at Spa 40x559 for £12 each. I find them a great road tyre and ok for roughstuff - if you know how to modulate your peddling input.

They also have the older(?) version at £9 but I don't like those; especially on the front - it has a prominent ridge around the sidewall that interferes with the "lean to steer".

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 9 Sep 2020, 10:55pm

FWIW I find the cheaper Schwalbe tyres are more likely than others to suffer premature sidewall cracking. I guess if you aim to wear them out in a year or so this shouldn't be so much of a problem.

Has anyone had much use from this...?

Panaracer flataway; it is a kind of self adhesive Kevlar-based felt material which moves with the tyre and (in contrast to many other tyre liners) is unlikely to cause punctures. Judging from how difficult it is to cut the stuff to size, I don't imagine that it is easily breached by bits of glass etc. I can see thorns poking through it perhaps...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 9 Sep 2020, 11:14pm

jimlews wrote:A word in favour of Schwalbe city jet - on offer at Spa 40x559 for £12 each. I find them a great road tyre and ok for roughstuff - if you know how to modulate your peddling input.

They also have the older(?) version at £9 but I don't like those; especially on the front - it has a prominent ridge around the sidewall that interferes with the "lean to steer".

Thanks for pointing me to spa, I hadn't really heard of them other than some mention of their saddles, maybe a Christmas present there :D

They also have the SCHWALBE CX Comp which look like they will be pretty decent on the rough stuff, do you have any experience of them?

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 10 Sep 2020, 8:39am

GeekDadZoid wrote:They also have the SCHWALBE CX Comp which look like they will be pretty decent on the rough stuff, do you have any experience of them?
I use them if we get a decent snowfall. The light tread with side lugs gives me a bit of bite in the snow, or so I reckon. For your purposes they should be fine, but for me (road use) I was glad to take them off because they are comparatively heavy and sluggish compared to my usual road going semi slick tyres. They are a fairly inexpensive tyre with little in the way of puncture protection but they might suit your purpose and being quite cheap they could be worth trying.

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 10 Sep 2020, 9:32am

Brucey wrote:FWIW I find the cheaper Schwalbe tyres are more likely than others to suffer premature sidewall cracking. I guess if you aim to wear them out in a year or so this shouldn't be so much of a problem.
cheers

Could you expand on this please, Brucey?

I've not noticed any problem with sidewalls so far (early days, perhaps), but I find them to be quite sprightly on tarmac despite what some on here allege. I do pump them up as hard as I can i.e. aprox 150 strokes of the HPX inflator. They still feel quite resilient and comfortable. We are entering the hedge flail season, so puncture resistance about to be tested.