clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tom

clothing

Post by Tom »

Good evening folks,

Can somebody assist my search for riding tops, just good enough to take the wind chill away, but light enough to tuck away in a saddle bag.
It needs to used when autumn chills arrive.(Not riding a road bike but a touring bike (retired)

Cheers Tom
whoof

Re: clothing

Post by whoof »

Possibly a waistcoat (gilet). Wind proof front and packs away easily. Can be ridden on any bike and by those in gainful employment as well as those who have retired.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/cycle/gilets
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You can buy long sleeve windproof tops. I have a running one by Ron Hill and a Polaris. You can get full zip or overhead. They roll up to fist size and often have their own small stuff sack. If you are wearing something like a fleece then they make it really warm.

Make sure it is breathable otherwise it becomes a sweat bucket, like the cheapo Aldi one I bought once.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I swear by my base layer with Gore Windstopper panels. These are on the chest, round the shoulders and at the base of the neck ... just the bits I want extra protection for underneath a cycling jacket. Here's one that's reduced in price. Great bit of kit, if the colour is a bit loud.

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/craf ... -baselayer
mjr

Post by mjr »

A vote for the Polaris Shield here. Not very waterproof but good for reducing wind chill.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Vote for a gilet and spare arm warmers, both are easily removed and stowed, not as bulky as full jersey.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PH

Post by PH »

It's hard to pick out a single layer without considering the others. My most carried garment for that purpose and to shed light showers is an Alpkit Arro. Yet if it's looking like that sort of ride when I set out I'm more likely to wear arm warmers and gilet.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Sheet of brown paper or newspaper. Advantages are that they are generally free, disposable, bio degradable and low bulk for carrying. Works fine until a more substantial jacket is needed as temperatures drop.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I still cant see whats wrong with a proper set of tweeds, what !
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Decathlon do a very lightweight gilet and a long sleeved windproof top. Both pack up very small and are reasonably cheap. I have one of each. They can easily be slipped into a jersey pocket.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

greyingbeard wrote:I still cant see whats wrong with a proper set of tweeds, what !

....personally I wear a 100% woollen jumper over a flannel cotton shirt.. the jumper is organic, biodegradable and has natural antibacterial properties, it's also breathable and in mist, fog or very light rain water proof, can be easily repaired and lasts for years...
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

Tom wrote:Good evening folks,

Can somebody assist my search for riding tops, just good enough to take the wind chill away, but light enough to tuck away in a saddle bag.
It needs to used when autumn chills arrive.(Not riding a road bike but a touring bike (retired)

Cheers Tom

Rab & Montane do great windshirts and are very lightweight, pack very small, both around £50
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cycle tramp wrote:[

....personally I wear a 100% woollen jumper over a flannel cotton shirt.. the jumper is organic, biodegradable and has natural antibacterial properties, it's also breathable and in mist, fog or very light rain water proof, can be easily repaired and lasts for years...

+1 This year on many occasions I’ve gone along the 100 % woolie jumper route. Very versatile over a large range of temperatures and under a tenner from charity shops. Only drawback for me has been the lack of pockets which isn’t that important if I’ve got a handlebar bag on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Or a woollie (merino) cycling top with pockets? Also cheap from Aldi or Lidl.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

tatanab wrote:Sheet of brown paper or newspaper. Advantages are that they are generally free, disposable, bio degradable and low bulk for carrying. Works fine until a more substantial jacket is needed as temperatures drop.

Use it to wrap your sandwiches in the morning, as above when it gets cooler and then for reading material at the end of the day!