Who still couriers bike boxes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Trikeyohreilly

Who still couriers bike boxes?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Hi.

I have a number of bikes to send in the post. Getting bike boxes this time of year is easy enough but who will courier them?

I used to use Parcel Force but I think they changed their maximum dimensions.

Thank you.
rjb

Re: Who still couriers bike boxes?

Post by rjb »

Reminds me of the trial i had collecting a bike box and found it was too big to go in the car. (hyundai i10) :(
I had to go home and collect some straps to tie it on the roof. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

All the couriers take bike boxes, but you have to consider that sending the wheels separate and making your frame box smaller. I've managed to send all but the very largest of bikes in one box but taken forks off as well as bars, cranks, seatpost.
Cutting down the oversize bike boxes to something that is significantly smaller is an absolute necessary IMO, less chance of stuff moving around in the box as well as easier for you to handle, the ourier to handle and to keep the costs down.

Couriers from the below are ones I've used to get quotes from, check the insurance extras as they can vary significantly

Interparcel
parcel2go
Parcelmonkey

Parcelforce you can drop the parcel off at a post office - and the recipient likewise can collect and the parcel can be sent to any PO they want thus they also don't need to wait in for delivery. It's also a bit cheaper to you dropping it off at a PO.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wouldn't gaurantee getting bike boxes at the moment. See here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=140357
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

I have had 100% success with Paisley Freight:

https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier

We have used them maybe 10 times all told. Always good and always helpful.
PH

Post by PH »

Trikeyohreilly wrote:I used to use Parcel Force but I think they changed their maximum dimensions.

Thank you.

When do you think they changed it?
I sent a frame sized box a couple of months ago and received a bike sized box about a month ago.
I book via Interparcel they sometimes offer cheaper options but Parcelforce is known and convenient for me.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just avoid Hermes

Enough said

Cheers James
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Jamesh wrote:Just avoid Hermes

Enough said

Cheers James

++1
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Oooh dear! What happened then james?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Lost a parcel in the system - just a power tool.

Customer service was non existent.

Cheers James
PH

Post by PH »

Jamesh wrote:Lost a parcel in the system - just a power tool.

Cheers James

In fairness that's likely to be the case with any carrier. I used to be responsible for the receipt and dispatch of 100's of parcels a day, all the major names in both directions, UK and EU. I had to deal with all the errors in both directions, sometimes that would be several a day, sometimes they'd be weeks apart, it's a tiny percentage. All the customer support is poor, some are better at answering the phone and making reassuring noises, but there's no difference in the ability to sort it out. Stuff does get misplaced but most of the errors are with the last leg from depot to end user, that's as much about the individual in that role as the company involved.
Mistakes happen, I've recently caused one - sent a bike frame with a copy of the address label in the box, not securely enough as it seems to have fallen out of one of the hand holes at some point, it's then been attached to a completely different parcel. The recipient received the frame as expected then a couple of weeks later something completely different!
peetee

Post by peetee »

Jamesh wrote:Lost a parcel in the system - just a power tool.

Cheers James

I agree. Their system seems to be deliberately obstructive to anyone wanting to find out where their parcel is. This is what I was prompted with when I tried to type in ‘where is my delivery?’ :shock:
591F4654-4019-4D60-90A3-477201AA45DF.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The Bradford Hermes was slated in the local rag in a double page spread for being absolutely shockingly run.

Stuff being kicked about stood on etc etc

Cheers James
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

First bike I ordered was from Rutland cycles and carriage was £80 but the second time I took advantage of a special offer on an Evans bike and only paid £5 carriage -- had I ordered two days earlier it would have been free. I think Hermes delivered the Evans bike in about two days the parcel from Rutland took a month!
I am here. Where are you?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

As always with me, slightly off-post: if anyone needs bikes transporting to or from France I go back and forth with a large-ish vehicle fairly regularly (or will be, once again, when the stupid quarantine regs disappear). About once a month.

Usually Plymouth to Roscoff but sometimes Portsmouth to St Malo, then down as far as La Rochelle.

Sometimes room for (legitimate) passengers as well. Rich widows my speciality.

Happy days,
Attachments
An alternative to Brittany Ferries cross-channel service.jpg