Hills near Coventry

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Groot

Hills near Coventry

Postby Groot » 15 Sep 2020, 8:59pm

Hello, I've just moved into Coventry from Norwich. Despite popular belief, we have some city centre hills that last for 45-120s, with gradients over 7% (i.e Harvey lane, Gas hill, Ketts hill). Having had this luxury for all my life, I find myself frustrated that I can't find any really punchy climbs within a good radius (8-10 miles).

Please, I'm not expecting anything lasting Kilometers, but is there at least something that at least needs the small ring/is steep nearby? Although if there is then I'd also be interested, obviously.

Thanks.

halfpenny

Re: Hills near Coventry

Postby halfpenny » 15 Sep 2020, 10:18pm

Go out through Baginton to Bubbenhall, or out through Finham and Stoneleigh to Kenilworth golf club, or (further) to Burton Dassett, Avon Dassett and Edge Hill

freiston

Postby freiston » 15 Sep 2020, 10:21pm

That's a tight range depending on what side of the city you live on. I'm not sure if this will be up to your expectations but north of the city has some nice hills/slopes - Wall Hill Road and Fivefield Road are on my usual circuits and they're decent. All around Harvest Hill, Kinwalsey Lane, Green End, Gorsey Green Lane are good. The ride from Maxstoke towards Fillongley has a definite incline. A little bit further out, going out of Mancetter (near Atherstone) via Quarry Lane, Steppey Lane and Purley Chase Lane is a bit of a slog. According to Google earth when I load my GPX tracks, my local rides average about 75-80 feet ascent/descent per mile.

I'm not familiar with south or east of the city but a favourite hill for locals is Edge Hill near Stratford that averages at 8% and has a maximum of 17%: https://www.climbbybike.com/climb/Edge-Hill-/15214

Here's the elevation profile of a regular circuit of mine around Keresley/Harvest Hill/Green End/Corley Moor (this circuit was plotted on the PC - the speeds are not an actual ride):
elevation.jpg
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 16 Sep 2020, 9:05am

Most have been listed; Stoneleigh.. short but sharpish. Mancetter / Atherton. The road that comes up toward the airport entrance (not sure of it's name), was a steady climb at the end of a shift at Leamington, on my commute home. Further afield obviously are Burton Dassett, Edge Hill,
Then there's Corley Rocks and around that area; as mentioned Wall Hill road etc
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 16 Sep 2020, 5:42pm

There was a Jimmy Hill in this area during 60s and 70s,at Highfield Rd.

Rock bus

Postby Rock bus » 16 Sep 2020, 5:48pm

I live in Leamington and as others have suggested heading out past here and in too rural Warwickshire offers some good hills

freiston

Postby freiston » 16 Sep 2020, 5:48pm

mumbojumbo wrote:There was a Jimmy Hill in this area during 60s and 70s,at Highfield Rd.

:lol:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Traction_man

Postby Traction_man » 16 Sep 2020, 6:47pm

As a local in my younger years, I remember steepish bits of road heading out through Finham, Stoneleigh and also around Gibbet Hill, but never too much of a challenge even on my Raleigh Hustler three-speed!

This 3D topographic map of Coventry gives a good sense of the local lie of the land:

thumbnail.jpg

From https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/maps/d6l/Coventry/

All the best,

Keith

Traction_man

Postby Traction_man » 16 Sep 2020, 6:55pm

As a ps, there's some short but steepish sections of road out towards Brinklow, beyond Coombe Abbey, and along the Fosse Way.

freiston

Postby freiston » 17 Sep 2020, 12:06am

Traction_man wrote:As a local in my younger years, I remember steepish bits of road heading out through Finham, Stoneleigh and also around Gibbet Hill, but never too much of a challenge even on my Raleigh Hustler three-speed!

This 3D topographic map of Coventry gives a good sense of the local lie of the land:

thumbnail.jpg

All the best,

Keith

That's a handy website - I've just bookmarked it - cheers :-)

WrightsW5

Postby WrightsW5 » 20 Sep 2020, 12:06am

21 miles to Henley, then see how many times you can go up and down Liverage Hill.

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 20 Sep 2020, 3:36pm

freiston wrote:
Traction_man wrote:As a local in my younger years, I remember steepish bits of road heading out through Finham, Stoneleigh and also around Gibbet Hill, but never too much of a challenge even on my Raleigh Hustler three-speed!

thumbnail.jpg

All the best,

Keith

That's a handy website - I've just bookmarked it - cheers :-)

What a cracking map: very useful.

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 20 Sep 2020, 4:21pm

Another +1 to that map; one might quibble about the use of rainbow colour-coding, and the auto-scaling threw me a bit the first time I moved it around, but that's a very useful tool.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 20 Sep 2020, 5:53pm

WrightsW5 wrote:21 miles to Henley, then see how many times you can go up and down Liverage Hill.

:lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells