Good quality cycling cap?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thelawnet

Re: Good quality cycling cap?

Post by thelawnet »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Mick F wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I'm not sure what a cycling cap is, but Amazon has a ton of baseball-type caps available, all colours, all styles, all prices, all materials.
Baseball caps don't work at all. The peaks are too big.

Cycling caps, I have four. Zero helmets in this household! :wink:

This is one of them.
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/fwe/u ... e=76080018

Thanks.
In passing I should note that one size fits all is usually a lie.

In all cases.

Previous discussion

viewtopic.php?t=111114

It looks like Walz will make you a cap to order in XXXl size but that no such cap is sold off the peg.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Walz sizing ------- in a magic plastic hat I take a Giro size L 59-63 which is set towards the top end of its sizing. In Walz cap I take a small/medium.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

simonineaston wrote:I'm not sure what a cycling cap is, but Amazon has a ton of baseball-type caps available, all colours, all styles, all prices, all materials.
Seems like getting hold of suitable cycling caps can be a bit of a palaver (although I've never met anyone who knows what a "palaver" actually is...!) - I'm rather glad I've always been completely happy with using serial baseball caps! :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote:(although I've never met anyone who knows what a "palaver" actually is...!)

a meringue dessert with a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RJS

Post by RJS »

palaver (n.)
1733 (implied in palavering), "a long talk, a conference, a tedious discussion," sailors' slang, from Portuguese palavra "word, speech, talk," from a metathesis of Late Latin parabola "speech, discourse," from Latin parabola "comparison" (see parable). A doublet of parole.

In West Africa the Portuguese word became a traders' term for "negotiating with the natives," and apparently English picked up the word there. (The Spanish cognate, palabra, appears 16c.-17c. in Spanish phrases used in English.) The meaning "idle profuse talk" is recorded by 1748. The verb, "indulge in palaver," is by 1733, from the noun. Related: Palavering.
This is what Google tells me :)
Chers, Rob.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Evans usually have a decent selection of caps. I bought a grey fwe one which has been great.
I also bought this one a couple of months ago off fleabay. Its been fine and I Iike it. [https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383680079261]
dondelion

Post by dondelion »

http://www.johnsonstitchworks.com/

UK made, well finished, lots of colour, next to no logo, reasonably priced, made me a smaller size due to my pin head
helmbarrie

Post by helmbarrie »

A few years ago my brother bought me a Rapha winter cap for Christmas, I remember thinking it must be expensive and I would not have bought it being a skinflint, so the perfect Christmas present and it was. I where it always when riding locally without a helmet. It has a band that folds down over the ears. A perfect hat for 9 months of the UK year. It is a bit bulky under a helmet,
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Having a huge bonce, I ordered one of the Prendas Grande caps recommended above.

It's big, but still smaller than ideal for me. The search goes on...
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have a Chapeau cap which is really good as it is not one size fits all. They have a wide range with lots of retro styles which I like.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I normally use a Forclaz (Decathlon brand) baseball style peaked cap with a velcro-detachable sun cover for the neck and ears (same style as the ones on a French Foreign Legion kepi). It has a little padding and a buckle at the back for tightening. I like it for its sun protection, including the large (7.5 cm deep) peak but the peak does catch the wind and obscure forward vision when on the drops. The neck-flap blows up in the slightest breeze too so I have put a couple of holes in either side of the flap and a small cord with clip on one side and a ring to receive the clip on the other (so the cord is under my chin at collar level. The cord stops the flap from blowing upwards and has stopped me from losing the hat a few times when descending hills at 30mph +. I reckon that it's not a safety issue - once when the draught from a fast descent knocked my hat off, one side of the velcro fastening came undone too. The cap can still get uncomfortable when I adjust the buckle particularly tight to keep it on in high winds.

I also have an Altura "podium cap" that is styled more like a traditional cap with a 4.5 cm deep peak and a little padding on the band and is very comfortable imho. i It is synthetic with mesh panels and an elasticated section at the back. I seldom wear it only because it offers less sun protection (flap and peak) than the Forclaz cap or I wear a woolly hat instead when the weather is cold. Like Mick F, I don't wear helmets.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
OldLimey

Post by OldLimey »

Mick F wrote: Baseball caps don't work at all. The peaks are too big.

They work for me. I ride a long dead-end road every morning and evening during the summer months, and that road runs east and west. In the mornings I have the sun in my eyes as I ride east, then same thing in the evenings when I ride west. The darker mornings and evenings are better, but the road runs parallel to a major highway with endless traffic. Their headlights are a nuisance. I pull the front of the cap low enough so it cuts out the sun and the headlights, but it doesn't stop me from seeing the road well ahead of me. And because it's low the wind doesn't rip it off my head.

In the winter months (in Florida) I ride all over the county and usually wear a helmet but the visor isn't big enough to keep the sun out of my eyes. I modified it with a piece of old inner tube, hot gluing it to the plastic visor; it only needed a 20mm strip to make it effective. Helmet manufacturers need to do something about this, perhaps offering deeper clip-on visors.

Those cycling caps with the tiny visors would never work for me.