Bike Stuff at Aldi - Ongoing Updates

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Bike Stuff at Aldi - Ongoing Updates

Post by simonhill »

34 items, ranging from tools, through clothing to trainers. Also an interesting double pannier that turns into single backpack.

Details on website or app.

Enjoy.
Last edited by simonhill on 19 Sep 2023, 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Bike Stuff at Aldi This Sunday 27/9/20

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud

Post by iandusud »

The lights are remarkably good for the money. I've got two sets from previous promotions. Also the merino base layers and merino wool mix socks. I'll also be stocking up on GT85.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.

Yes I couldn't see any meaningful info on the beam. Will also be sticking to Lidl's line of lights.
May pick up another merino base layer, they are excellent, also handy for general off the bike use. I often around town wear a nice thin aldi motorcycle merino zip neck jersey with an aldi merino baselayer underneath. Man at Aldi :)
Will skip the mucoff degreaser, screwfix stuff far better value.
I don't thing Aldi"s cycle promos are as good as they used to be, especially if you are after rough tuff stuff for touring.
Sweep
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I also like the Muc-off wet chain lube. If applied one drop per roller it stays pretty clean and I find it lasts well. The dry chain lube is also good for dry summer use but needs more frequent application and doesn't like rain!
peetee

Post by peetee »

mjr wrote:The description for the lights say ". Lights to be used in line with road vehicle lighting regulations" so I guess they're not K marked and so not sufficient to make you legally lit on their own. Shame. I wish they'd take a page from lidl's book.

Could be just referring to the flash mode.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aldi bike stuff went off the boil years ago now. Last few years I've seen nothing but muc off and gt85 worth buying.

My first Aldi cycling kit I still use. Later years I bought the moon clone lights and they failed in a year. More recently lights failed and got taken back. Merino once lasted, last lot holes out within one season.

There had been a clear lowering of quality to make the price point. Perhaps Lidl is different but Aldi has put me off these cheap clones now.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Lidl have also dropped the quality to hold the price. Their tools are not what they were, just cheapo chinese tat now. The middle aisle is worse than a jumble sale. There used to be good stuff in jumbles, shame we dont have them any more.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

That tool kit doesn't look that great and with a price of £24.99 plus £2.95 postage actually quite expensive compared to some of the ebay models that seem to have more tools for similar or less money. I realise quality is a factor but it all looks like generic Chinese tools of similar quality.

44 piece tool kit here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44-Pcs-Pro-C ... 3195693965?

Aldi set looks like its 26 piece which is a fair bit cheaper on ebay.

I've bought 2 such toolkits over the years, one from ebay and when Halford's did an offer for £10 I bought one set of theirs as well. Both look miles better than that Aldi toolkit.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Some wag sent me this:

9E3318BE-2E09-4C9E-8A44-84B3121A2FF1.jpeg

Have the panniers that transform to a back pack been available before? Anyone vouch for them?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To answer above: Went to Aldi today. Had a look at the panniers. They seem well made of a fairly coarse weave nylon/polyester/whatever. The hooks are 2 on each, just hook over, no lock, but there was a small Velcro tab for securing. The straps for the backpack can be detached at the bottom and then have to be stored in a pouch on outer top of one pannier. Not sure how good this will be in use. They are more like folder or laptop panniers, but size not specified. If you've got that sort of stuff to take to work, college, etc and then carry on back - they seem OK. Not sure any good for touring.

I bought a waterproof jacket at £14:99. Again, seems well made, better than older versions. They have underarm zips and a storm flap. Also a hood which I doubt I will use on bike, but may be useful off. The hood makes the collar bulky, but no tensioner to tighten the collar to stop cold wind or water coming in. I have used these cheapy waterproofs for touring in warm dry places. OK for a chilly morning and the odd shower. Also gives a bit of warmth in chilly evenings over a fleece. Spends most of the time rolled up in pannier.

They had some gloves for a fiver, gel and neoprene, but they felt so thick I doubt I could have hung onto my bars. These were not the (only) neoprene ones at £9 ish that were more usuable.

Didn't really look at anything else.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Didn't see this before. Having spotted an item I quite fancy (merino base layer) which is out of stock online, can someone tell me how I check whether it's in stock in a particular store? I can find a selection of nearby stores easily enough but then the web site, having proclaimed 'check in store' doesn't seem to have any way of doing that.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

errrr - you go to store and check in store.

There is a phone number, but it's the same for each store, so presumably a call site.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Just been in to Aldi today. The sizing on the bib tights is generous to say the least. I have a 33 inch inside leg and the XL came to mid -calf on me.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.