autumnal, early winter and spring gloves?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alexnharvey

autumnal, early winter and spring gloves?

Post by alexnharvey »

In a few weeks it will be getting a little too cold for short fingered mitts on some mornings, but not so cold it's time for insulated winter gloves or pogies.

What gloves do you like for such mornings? I am thinking about thin woollen gloves or a light woven synthetic.
Jdsk

Re: autumnal, early winter and spring gloves?

Post by Jdsk »

Light woven synthetic with some padding. But I wear them through the summer.

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I like these - they also do a version without the optional over mitt.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHWG17 ... ace-gloves
mig

Post by mig »

defeet dura gloves

classic
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Defeet look interesting. The planet X ones look a bit heavy thick but maybe that is misleading?

I'd really like something that is about early athe thickness of the my summer mitts but full fingered for autumn mornings.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I recently bought a pair of Extremities Hi Wick Thinny Gloves for £2.50 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133292818870) to use as liner gloves. I have not used them yet, but I think they might fit your requirements. They are made from polypropylene and nylon, and the nylon probably gives them a bit more durability than the 100% polypro/meraklon of my previous liners, making them more useable on their own. They are described as one size fits all, but I think they would be too large for hands smaller than medium.
toontra

Post by toontra »

In intermediate conditions I wear lightweight long-fingered gloves under fingerless mitts. Older mitts have usually become baggy enough to allow this - I also have some mitts in larger sizes bought for the purpose.

Gives a variety of uses. On cold mornings that heat up during a ride you can take the lining gloves off. I also use the gloves for running on cold days. These are the ones I have - dirt cheap:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/running-tactile-gloves-black/_/R-p-170137
Last edited by toontra on 27 Sep 2020, 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

I bought these from Halfords over a year ago and they're my go to glove for Autumnal weather which we seem to be getting at any time of year.
I have large hands and find many gloves to be restrictive, but these have plenty of stretch and I find them very comfortable. Description says water resistant coating, but they don't put up much resistance.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyclin ... 81446.html
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I go for something that's windproof, and a loose fit. The loose fit is so that I can generally hold my hand so that there's a bit of a space between a cold wet glove and my skin.
I have been using Terra Nova/Extremities Velo gloves in XL
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simple £1 items you may be able to get from poundland that in days gone by would be woven wool but now synthetic.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I use a pair of thin gloves under a pair of mitts. Mine came from Aldi/Lidl ? under the title of "running gloves". Not sure what they are made from (polyester ?) but keep my finger tips warm enough until the temperature dictates winter gloves. If the hands get too warm then remove them and just use the mitts.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

In a few weeks it will be getting a little too cold for short fingered mitts on some mornings

It's getting that way now; out at 6.15 this morning for a couple of hours with one of the daughters and it wasn't much above freezing. Her 'Strava activity' said 1 degC and there was quite a bit of crispy white frost on some of the fields at sea level. Even in Northern Scotland this seems unseasonably early.

edit: I was wearing a well worn pair of decathlon gloves which are OK for around zero degC https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/700-cycli ... 15&c=BLACK
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Galibier Roubaix Vision gloves for me. May not suit people who like a lot of padding, but they’re ideal for this time of year.

https://road.cc/content/review/116110-galibier-roubaix-vision-gloves
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

alexnharvey wrote:Defeet look interesting. The planet X ones look a bit heavy thick but maybe that is misleading?

I'd really like something that is about early athe thickness of the my summer mitts but full fingered for autumn mornings.

The Planet X ones are fairly thin - the idea is that the full-fingered glove is for mild weather, but if it gets colder you can pull that mitten-like cover out of its pouch and over your fingers, so you get the best of both worlds. Sadly they're ruined by the fact that the mitten cover is bulky when packed away and is too short and non-stretchy when pulled over the glove fingers, so it resists you bending your fingers. I use them in in-between weather occasionally but never with the mitt. The glove material is not particular water-resistant, so they're not even very useful for mild-but-damp days.