super front light

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pebble

Re: super front light

Post by Pebble »

As a driver I think the flashing bike lights are a good idea, even from distance on days of poor light It identifies what I'm approaching as a bicycle. And as much of my own personal cycling safety protocols are based on how I see cyclists from a driving point of view - I like to use the flashing light when daylight is poor (or I can see my own shadow in front of me)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

rmurphy195 wrote:BTW I've been dazzled by lights such as the one described both at night and in daylight on the bike (where my eye level is quite high) and its much worse when driving, where my eye level is lower down. All very well having the eye "drawn" to a bright flashing light, but its not the only thing one should be looking at!
Day time, broad daylight not overcast or anything to dampen the summer sun, I had some charming cyclist chap with a megawatt flashing light on his handlebars following me (driving) in slow moving traffic. The light was at a height to shine through the rear window and reflect off the mirrors. I had to turn down the interior mirror and try to ignore the flashing from behind me. Distracting - certainly. Unnecessary - as a cyclist I abhor this modern fashion. Aggravating ---- YOU BET!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

tatanab wrote:Unnecessary - as a cyclist I abhor this modern fashion. Aggravating ---- YOU BET!

Me too - as a cyclist.
Sweep
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Sweep wrote:
tatanab wrote:Unnecessary - as a cyclist I abhor this modern fashion. Aggravating ---- YOU BET!

Me too - as a cyclist.

And me. I was wondering if I was unique in my aversion to lights being used in daylight hours - glad to discover I'm not.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

xerxes wrote:
Sweep wrote:

Me too - as a cyclist.

And me. I was wondering if I was unique in my aversion to lights being used in daylight hours - glad to discover I'm not.

Not at all - if i had my way, powerful rear flashers should have a sensor and quack box - if used in daylight the light would emit that quack noise used by reversing lorries. Then i would know they are coming if in front of them - in my experience folks using those often pass very close without warning.
Sweep
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Sweep wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Sweep wrote:in my experience folks using those often pass very close without warning.

In my experience, so folk will pass very close on the inside if there's the slightest bit of daylight
between yourself and the kerb. :shock: Happened to me yesterday.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Like most things it is a matter of use. I have several points on my commute where time has proved that I nearly get wiped out by crap drivers if I don't have a front flasher. Less than perfect conditions with tree cover, a very acute approach angle and on a bend severely limits the view for the driver as they approach the slightly more main road that I am on. Chuck in speed and near invisible white lines and there is a huge amount if reasons why useless drivers don't see me. A flasher works. Another case sees me coming down hill past a stack of cars parked my side. I can get through, very slowly , without crossing the white line but the potholes are lethal as as the door openings. Using the opposite side as a motorcycle or car would do needs some assertiveness and visibility.
I don't like the need for such measures. I shouldn't have to protect myself from others stupidity but it's an imperfect world.
Don't be a d### is the answer.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

De Sisti wrote:
Sweep wrote:
xerxes wrote:

In my experience, so folk will pass very close on the inside if there's the slightest bit of daylight
between yourself and the kerb. :shock: Happened to me yesterday.

I hope you gave them a mouthful.
As I was going down a hill I once had someone coming the other way pass between me and "my" kerb!
In my experience, the worst most plonker dangerous cyclists are not the beginners but those who like to think they are ultra experienced/god's gift. Hence the fact that they are often identified by extreme front and rear flashers where they aren't needed.

I have never ever had a car come anywhere near as close as a "fellow" cyclist - narrowly escaped being thrown under large vehicles at least twice by such nits.
Sweep
oneten

Post by oneten »

Apologies to PH as hadn't read your reply before about dazzling lights.
First it's not cycle path, it's shared use.
Second, people are entitled to wear what they like, it isn't their responsibility to be visible to you.
Third, do you really think the only options are a blinding light or not being able to see where you're going? If so you need to do a bit more research, there's plenty of lights that are excellent for illumination without ever being antisocial to other road or path users.
PH seems to have taken my comment very seriously, notwithstanding the fact that safety is indeed a serious concern which is why cyclists are required to use sufficient lighting in hours of darkness. In answer to PH, I was merely stating what had happened on a single occasion with a single complaint by one pedestrian on a (sorry, a SHARED use - not cycle) path. I fail to see how PH is in a position to judge how bright the light in question was, based on my relating this one-off experience. To simply conclude that my light must have been 'dazzling' or 'antisocial' based on this account takes quite a stretch of the imagination when one is not in possession of all the facts. I haven't had other complaints about being dazzled by other shared path users so I assume that my front light is sufficient for the purpose intended without being dazzling. And yes, maybe I'm wrong to have made an assumption about the sartorial choices of the pedestrian in question, cyclists with insufficient or no lighting would rightly be held to account if an accident were caused by their not illuminating the path ahead to avoid collisions.
Last edited by oneten on 6 Apr 2021, 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 5:22pm First it's not cycle path, it's shared use.
Normally, it's a cycleway with right of way on foot and calling it the vague name "shared use" is often an attempt to discourage cycling while spending the cycling budget on such routes, but I agree with much of the rest.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I mainly cycle in a very rural area and at night you need a light bright enough to actually see where you are going as there are no street lights at all, this means you can be seen a very long away, however some lights that are designed for off road riding are way too bright even for that and can be really dazzling to other road users.
During the day is different as you only need enough light to help being seen by others, whether flashing or steady. I have been dazzled whilst riding tree lined roads by really bright cycle front lights which is actually self defeating so there is a sensible balance.