Earn your respect?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: Earn your respect?

Post by The utility cyclist »

cycle tramp wrote:Decathlon can suck my greasy bearings. They have learnt my contempt.

Ditto, with sprockets on!

Sickening that a company such as this follows the path of putting onus to not get killed/harmed onto the vulnerable parties, more so when we know that it's not what we do that ultimately has much if any bearing on outcome.

Motorists, obey the law/follow highway code and do your ultimate to not kill/disable someone, basically respect human life full stop!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What is wrong with advice to use correct hand signals and follow the rules of the road?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:What is wrong with advice to use correct hand signals and follow the rules of the road?

Nothing.

What's wrong with saying every other cyclist doesn't obey these rules?

What's wrong with saying that cyclists perceived not to be obeying the rules do not deserve "respect"?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Try telling other groups to earn their respect. Anyone game to posting on Rowling's Twitter that trans should earn their respect? It'll get noticed and I bet you'll not like the attention.

Should we follow the cancel culture of the trans lobby? Can cyclists muster up an internet army to do that? Would we want to?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Isn't this something that our national CUK could/ought to address directly with Decathlon?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:What is wrong with advice to use correct hand signals and follow the rules of the road?

Nothing.

What's wrong with saying every other cyclist doesn't obey these rules?

What's wrong with saying that cyclists perceived not to be obeying the rules do not deserve "respect"?

Do you respect car drivers who fail to obey the rules of the road? I don't and also don't think things should be any different for cyclists.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I generally respect cyclists and walkers, even if they break the law they do little harm

I generally disrespect mortons, the majority of drivers who routinely break the law and endanger others
'Contempt, like respect, must be earned', bleated an old cyclist. Not sure if that is true
I shall continue to boycott d******n, dunno even where the nearest store is :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I generally disrespect mortons, the majority of drivers who routinely break the law and endanger others

I don't think we knew that! :D
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:Do you respect car drivers who fail to obey the rules of the road? I don't and also don't think things should be any different for cyclists.

I respect their right to life and do not endanger them. Encouraging a belief that cyclists do not deserve respect until they have earned it means that de facto motorists should not respect cyclists.

And how will they behave towards people they don't respect.?

And do you agree with decathlon that no cyclists obey the rules of the road?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I can respect another person's right to life and safety without respecting them as a driver, cyclist, motorcyclist or whatever. Lots of road users don't get my respect because they behave badly, but I still make a point of not killing them. It is plain daft to suggest that all road users merit respect in the sense in which "respect" is most commonly used. But we respect their right to be there and to be safe.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pete75 wrote:Do you respect car drivers who fail to obey the rules of the road? I don't and also don't think things should be any different for cyclists.

I respect their right to life and do not endanger them. Encouraging a belief that cyclists do not deserve respect until they have earned it means that de facto motorists should not respect cyclists.

And how will they behave towards people they don't respect.?

And do you agree with decathlon that no cyclists obey the rules of the road?

I don't think they're saying no cyclists obey the rules of the road - just your misinterpretation as is your view of respect. Where are Decathlon suggesting that cyclists who haven't "earned respect" have no right to life? I strongly suspect that what you accuse them of is not at all what they believe but may be misinterpreted in that way because the article quoted is badly worded.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Decathlon can stuff it up their jumper!!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Many angry posts here, but regardless of who is in the right, remember a tombstone script that holds especially true for cyclists.

"This is the grave of Michael O'Day

Who died defending his right of way

His right was clear, his will was strong,

But he's just as dead as if he were wrong."
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's what I got told in my road safety driving course I took when straight it with a shiny new, full licence. Struck a chord but I had forgotten all but the last line.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I remember as a young driver concluding the above. Me in my little car, even if in the right, had no chance against the 20 ton truck, not matter how wrong he was.
John