OS vs OSM for cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: OS vs OSM for cycling

Post by Jdsk »

OpenStreetMap considering change of coordinates:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... imitations

Jonathan
simonineaston

Open Street Map plans move

Post by simonineaston »

I read that:
OpenStreetMap, the Wikipedia-for-maps organisation that seeks to create a free and open-source map of the globe, is considering relocating to the EU, almost 20 years after it was founded in the UK by the British entrepreneur Steve Coast.
See here for further info..
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Open Street Map plans move

Post by Jdsk »

SNAP!

[topics merged by moderator]

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Off topic, but as OSM interested people are here and rather than a new post.

Online Guardian article this morning that OSM are relocating to Europe due to post Brexit hassles.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... imitations
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Having found this thread, a brief note.

I am in Scotland ATM and finding OS mapping a bit confusing.

I am so used to the different categories of ROW on English maps that I find the Scottish notation most confusing.

I don't know if "right to roam" means that any path or track recorded on the OS map is fair game, or if not how to tell.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 5:46pmI don't know if "right to roam" means that any path or track recorded on the OS map is fair game, or if not how to tell.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/newsro ... hts-of-way
and scroll down to "Right to Roam (Scotland)".

Jonathan
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 5:49pm
LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 5:46pmI don't know if "right to roam" means that any path or track recorded on the OS map is fair game, or if not how to tell.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/newsro ... hts-of-way
and scroll down to "Right to Roam (Scotland)".

Jonathan
"The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 gives the public the right to be on or cross any land for recreational, educational and other named purposes. There may be circumstances where you get permission from the landowners but, providing you are considerate and respectful of the land you’re traversing, you have the right to roam when walking, cycling or horse riding. You have the right to walk your dog too providing they’re kept under control. You are not permitted on any land for hunting, shooting, fishing or using motorised vehicles. From your OS map, you will be able to see where land may belong to the National Trust for Scotland, Forestry Commission or Woodland Trust. There may be limited access in some of these area, but local signs will instruct you. In addition, access land owned by the National Trust, Forest Commission or Woodland Trust will have purple band and appropriate symbol."

My emphasis.
I need to research further, but I assume that this doesn't mean people can walk through my front gate and round my back garden without my permission.

Edit:
https://www.apidura.com/journal/freedom ... d-to-know/
A good explanation.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 5:59pm
I need to research further, but I assume that this doesn't mean people can walk through my front gate and round my back garden without my permission.
The immediate garden (curtilage) around a house is not in the right-to-roam. So, no you can't use your rights to go over my garden, or anyone else's gardens.

But, you're onto reasonable explanations of the rules. At a basic level, if you find a track on a map, you are likely to be able to use it. But, you may find a gate with a stile, which might be a high one if its a deer fence. You can take a bike with you anywhere (unlike England with its bridleway vs path distinctions).

From a mapping point of view, I use OSM and OS. Both will show things not apparent on the other (including the 25,000 OS maps). There are often tracks for shooting or forestry which are not shown on one or the other. So, a combination is useful. That can usually be done on a smartphone, or a GPS. (My ancient Garmin Etrex can show both OSM and OS maps, so newer stuff can do it).

Another source of information are local authority "Core Path" leaflets, which will show those paths they regard as core in their area.

- Nigel
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just seen a notification that OS maps route planning will now include snap to route function.
In the past lack of "snap to" has been a major irritation when using OS maps for route panning, so looking forward to trying out the new version.