Exercise bike v trainer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Exercise bike v trainer

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Dec 2020, 11:02am

Hi,
The only way of knowing how much you're getting out is by how much you're putting in?
It's been proven that unless your muscles are used the exercise you're not going to get much out.
If you're only doing 15 minutes of Exercise, this is unlikely to be any more than building muscles if you are doing that at an intense level?
How are you measuring effort or perceived effort or cardiovascular effort?
In 15 minutes most people would struggle to get their heart rate elevated enough?

Mind you there is always this -
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness ... exercises/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 3 Dec 2020, 1:23pm

I guess from my experiences of different machines at gyms, anecdote alert, I reached my limit quicker on different machines. A bike was too easy and playing around with resistance and cadence still never really tested me. After 2 years and a several exercise routine changes the trainer basically took me off it and onto a stepper.

I used to do an hour on the bike with the hardest so called alpine training setting. But increasing the resistance setting more in the last half hour. After switching to the stepper I was put on iirc something like 250 floors but I can't quite recall. I used to do half at a fast pace and then try to beat my time on the second half. That left me feeling a bit sick through the effort level at the end. Once I had to cut it short because I'd pushed too far and was not feeling good. I have never been able to feel that exertion level on an exercise bike.

Rower used you leave me feeling the same. Treadmill less so because I could only walk on that. My running stride length was greater than the gyms treadmill track. Even walking at a fast pace uphill on it left me needing precise foot placement or I'd step on the front cover or off the rear roller! Still slightly better than an exercise bike. All perceived effort but outcomes also back up this hierarchy of machines for me. I only started to find the walking group walks get a lot easier after switching from bikes to other machines. I simply upped my outdoor activity performance by switching to other machines.

My experience matched that report I mentioned about efficacy of different exercise machine types. Stands to reason that machines working more muscle groups place more demand on your cv system. It's not an unknown topic. I first read about adjustments for HRM training on bikes vs running over a decade ago in hr training book I got given when I bought my first monitor. Cycling does have its exercise advantages if cycling is your main/ only physical sport as it works the muscles needed. It's not my main outdoor physical activity so less advantage for me.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Dec 2020, 4:05pm

Hi,
All home equipment.
I have a treadmill with programs to speed and incline so you just have to hang on or get ejected :lol:
Turbo has a power meter which is interpolated.
Rowing machine is the air fan wheel type so exponential like the turbo, which also has a air fan (simulated wind resistance) as well as the mag resistance.

I can average 93% of max HR on the turbo for an hour, typically that might be as low as 86%, always at 1% resistance plus wind corrected on speed.
The tread mill limits me with running as my foot flaps at above 8mph, but walking up 10% gradient at 4.5 mph will get you puffing :)
So I struggle at 70%, for 40 minutes (15min run @ 4% hill rest is up hill @ 4-10% gradient walk), and my lower legs suffer most as I have not run for some 30 years but used to run marathons back then.
MTB training is normally 80% for 2h 40.

Back to the rowing machine, 12 minutes is about right for me, any more and my back suffers, and yes I know they reckon that rowing will give largest overall workout........but how long can we keep up that sort of level of work.....
I find now at 62, a week off any exercise is too long and I suffer pain and muscle soreness.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 3 Dec 2020, 4:57pm

That's the point though isn't it? You're doing. an hour at a high percentage HR on a turbo but 12 minutes on a rowing machine. I assume by quoting those times there's some equivalence in amount of total exertion.

My experiences are similar, I can go for a long time on an exercise bike at a percentage HR that I simply couldn't keep up running or rowing or stepping. It's like cycling HR figures aren't real in some way, perhaps because of the efficiency of motion that a bike confers on humans. At the end of the day it's about effort. If it feels easy then it's likely you're not getting as much benefit from the exercise IMHO.