Flashing rear light for daylight use

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MartinS

Flashing rear light for daylight use

Post by MartinS »

Can any one recommend a rack mounted (seat post in use) bright flashing rear light for daylight use. I have seen a couple of riders go past me with circular bright lights but never managed to catch up! My preference is for AA batteries as you get warning of reduction in voltage.
freeflow

Re: Flashing rear light for daylight use

Post by freeflow »

Please don't. As a fellow cyclist my opinion is that there is nothing more annoying than being behind someone with a bright red flashing rear light.
mjr

Post by mjr »

freeflow wrote:Please don't. As a fellow cyclist my opinion is that there is nothing more annoying than being behind someone with a bright red flashing rear light.

This. Plus you'll never compete with the sun in good weather. In bad weather, a big steady light like some of the Spanninga ones is good and very eye-catching with the movement of the bike and bobbing of pedal reflectors or clips.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It doesn't flash, but I have the dynamo powered version of this light and my other half says it's one of the brightest rear lights she's seen.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/bu ... ear-light/
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

freeflow wrote:Please don't. As a fellow cyclist my opinion is that there is nothing more annoying than being behind someone with a bright red flashing rear light.
Absolutely Plus One.
Mick F. Cornwall
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

freeflow
Unread postby freeflow » 4 Oct 2020, 3:36pm

Please don't. As a fellow cyclist my opinion is that there is nothing more annoying than being behind someone with a bright red flashing rear light.

Well with a little effort you could overtake,and banish your irritation.I have a list of annoying phenomena and would list the red light at 159th.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is a big difference between the lower powered flashing lights like my cheapo LEDs and those very intense get in your eyes ones. You can almost hear them pinging at you.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Another vote against

I am not at all convinced that daytime lights make a difference whatsoever as the problem is drivers not looking properly. Hiviz, lights etc all just transfer the responsibility onto the cyclist. "It was the cyclists fault m'lud as he wasn't showing any lights so how could I have seen him"
I have dynamo lights and sometimes have them on and it makes no difference.
Also I have a theory that flashing lights "mark" you as a cyclist from a greater distance and give drivers who don't have any empathy just an excuse to pass closer. Especially in bad weather or at night. I noticed an improvement in driver behaviour when I switched to Dyno lights from flashing.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

mumbojumbo wrote:
freeflow

Well with a little effort you could overtake,and banish your irritation.I have a list of annoying phenomena and would list the red light at 159th.

So low down in your priorities it was hardly worthwhile you posting here.

In the meantime, when riding with a group at night, which I do once a week, it is decidedly unsocial to always be at the front, and yes, heavy hints have been dropped.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mumbojumbo wrote:
freeflow

+1 :idea:
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I too agree they could be very annoying if you are following someone for any length of time - however as a driver I do find them not only noticeable but the flashing bit lets me know it is going to be a cyclist. So I think it is a good idea for a solo cyclist (or the one at the back)

I personally don't use lights during the day but do have three red flashers for dusk and dark.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote:I too agree they could be very annoying if you are following someone for any length of time - however as a driver I do find them not only noticeable but the flashing bit lets me know it is going to be a cyclist. So I think it is a good idea for a solo cyclist (or the one at the back)

I personally don't use lights during the day but do have three red flashers for dusk and dark.

One flash and one constant works best, I think. Less annoying on the eye but still with the message that you are approaching a cyclist. Multiple flashers all working to a different beat is a nightmare for anyone behind, very disorientating and unhelpful.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote:
Pebble wrote:I too agree they could be very annoying if you are following someone for any length of time - however as a driver I do find them not only noticeable but the flashing bit lets me know it is going to be a cyclist. So I think it is a good idea for a solo cyclist (or the one at the back)

One flash and one constant works best, I think. Less annoying on the eye but still with the message that you are approaching a cyclist. Multiple flashers all working to a different beat is a nightmare for anyone behind, very disorientating and unhelpful.

In bad conditions and from dusk onwards I have a steady rear lamp on the top of the rack, a low intensity sequence flashing lamp at the bottom of the mudguard, and a low intensity flashing lamp on my helmet. But I'd never realised that the flashing lamps aren't synchronised. : - (

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:
pwa wrote:

In bad conditions and from dusk onwards I have a steady rear lamp on the top of the rack, a low intensity sequence flashing lamp at the bottom of the mudguard, and a low intensity flashing lamp on my helmet. But I'd never realised that the flashing lamps aren't synchronised. : - (

Jonathan

It might not be a problem if one or both of your flashing lights are not very intense. But I have been behind bikes with multiple flashers of high intensity and it did make me feel disorientated, which is not how you want a driver to be as they are assessing a possible overtake. I want drivers to be clear that I am a cyclist, and to register where I am precisely. I don't want them confused.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, I recognised what you're describing with multiple bright lights.

Jonathan