Something other than Lycra

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Circa 1955

Something other than Lycra

Post by Circa 1955 »

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, I have been a cyclist since 1968 in the Bedfordshire area. I have had poor health for the last four years and now I'm getting back on my feet. All my cycling clothing is Lycra and now I don't want to put the this on any more as its tight and it dosent look flattering on a 66 year old man. I had a good standard of fitness and thought nothing of doing fifty mile runs on my own, I would love to achive a quarter of that some time this year, but clothing is the problem. I need leggings like Tudor sport offer but the problem is that after three messages and e-mail for sizing I have had no response from them so to order anything from them doesn't give me much confidence. Any one on the forum know where I can get this type of material for leggings that don't show your private parts when on.
Thanks all Bob
Jdsk

Re: Something other than Lycra

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I hope you're back out there soon.

Anything from Decathlon that you fancy?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/search?Ntt=mens+cycling+leggings

Currently at Aldi:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/sports-and-leisure-supplies/cycling-clothing-and-accessories

Jonathan

PS: I wear polycotton walking trousers with warm tights according to temperature.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

light weight, high wicking, superfast drying, hillwalking clothing for me - I don't care for that cyclist look either
robc02

Post by robc02 »

When I started cycling in the '70s most of the older club riders wore breeches (AKA "plusses") and long socks on the bottom half with some kind of collared shirt on the top half - similar to hill walking clothing. I always thought it looked quite smart and was practical. In those days cyclists were often viewed as a bit of an oddity and wearing skin tight clothing just emphasised that!

I see that a popular option nowadays is MTB shorts, possibly with tights underneath.
PH

Post by PH »

I do most of my cycling in Rohan stretch jogging style trousers, either the water repellent Troggings when it's cold or wet, or the lighter Amblers. They may need something to keep the hem out of the chain, depending on the bike, I use a velcro strap. If you're not in a hurry, they'll be in a sale sooner or later, I usually pay around £40 a pair. They don't last forever, but are tougher than they look, I haven't recorded it but I'd be surprised if I got less than 10.000 miles from a pair and I wear them a fair bit off the bike as well.
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... nsTrousers
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... nsTrousers
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I really like these -
https://www.endurasport.com/Hummvee-Lit ... lsrc=aw.ds
Currently on my second pair.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

If you're getting no joy from Tudor direct, Condor Cycles sell Tudor leggings (both short and long), and do mail order - I think there's a sizing chart on the Condor site.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I too am a former lycra wearer, and I now wear baggy shorts and baggy tops. For trousers and shorts I go for Endura Humvees, which are made of very light material, bend with you, and in the case of the trousers they can be pulled tight to the ankle to avoid the need for clips. But I still want padding and most under-shorts (or liner shorts) don't have a very thick pad like you can have with lycra shorts. But at Decathlon I found these and they work a treat:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/st-900-ge ... 34&c=BLACK

They feel like, and indeed are, lycra shorts, but the material is more like dense mesh so you don't get too hot as you would with normal lycra shorts under baggy shorts. And they feel nice.

I like to wear a very thin mesh vest tucked into these, and any baggy top / tee shirt that I like.
Circa 1955

Post by Circa 1955 »

Thanks very much for the replies, good information now to look at. I to in the seventies wore plus fours with socks and I was in my twenties, great cycling days, not quite the same today.
Thanks Bob
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Looking at the Tudor Sport website, the sizes are stated in inches as well as size, so an XXL top fits a 44 inch chest. I have a pair of Tudor Sport leggings in the largest size and I would say that they are standard to generous sizing, not like some Italian makes such as Santini and Castelli.

Tudor also have a returns policy, so you could order a few sizes and send back the ones that don’t fit.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hill walking clothes have been suggested, you could also try running garments. These need to allow for a similar range of movement to cycling but are not so tight. They also have the advantage of generally being cheaper! You won't get padded seat though, obviously, but that might not matter to you.

As for Tudor Sports, is it possible they're still temporarily closed due to Covid?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Spa Cycles stock Tudor Sport leggings, long and short. I have to say that I think they are great. In fact I'm wearing a pair at this moment before setting off to work. They are hard wearing. The ones I'm wearing at the moment are about 35 years old! and still come out of the wash looking new.
Circa 1955

Post by Circa 1955 »

Again thanks for the replies, I shall have a look at the running bottoms in town today, I sent a message to Spar Cycles, I am a odd size so I think they have to be made. Strange as tops are no issue just short legs are the problem, better today with frames as a 19.5 inch frame years ago where difficult to find so had 20.5 inch with 3 inches of seat pin. Now my bikes full of dust have ample seat pin , looking forward to riding again in the near future, any one from Bedford area to go out for a short ride for a bit of help.

Thanks Bob
bongo

Post by bongo »

Not fond of the lycra look either and not a cycling pro.
I wear these for cycling (they have shorts in the same range too, also great) which are hard wearing, lots of good zipped pockets and stretchy bits where needed. I've had a pair for 12 months and wear well. Showerproof and quick drying. I use them for hill walking as well. Smart enough to be around town in if necessary. very reasonable prices.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mou ... R-p-192273

Wear leggings underneath in cold weather (im in Scotland). Best I find, Uniqlo Heattech, come in a few thicknesses/warmth factor.

Bit of a fan of Declathlon, so they have good windproof lightweight jacket. I like the Rockrider Mountain Bike jacket. Not to boy racer looking and again can wear for town if necessary.

Good luck choosing.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Perhaps a bespoke ensemble from Dashing Tweeds?

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.31.20 AM.png