Big and Tall Rider looking for a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gregoryoftours

Re: Big and Tall Rider looking for a bike

Postby gregoryoftours » 19 Oct 2020, 10:26pm

I'd ask on some MTB specific forums such as single-track. I know Trek do some very large sized bikes, but whether this extends to their MTB range I don't know. Unless you come across a deal I'd go hard tail for that budget, but you will get a nice hard tail for that price, plus of course a bit more multi purpose than a full suspension bike.

If you ever decided you wanted a more general bike then Surly long haul/disc truckers are pretty bombproof and they make them extremely large.

Hillkidstr

Postby Hillkidstr » 3 Jan 2021, 5:04pm

Happy New Year!

Sorry for the lack of replies I have tried to find somewhere with any suitable bike in stock so I can try it but it appears that they are all on back order.

So I have decided I am going to have to take a risk and just order one, I have to admit the nukeproof scout race did take my fancy hut now I'm not sure if the bike is big enough as after a few emails they recommend for riders up to 6ft 4, being 6ft 7 i am not sure if this will make a huge difference?

Trek does do a 2XL frame that looks to fit the bill but I am clueless as to which models to look at as there are so many options, Cube also seems to do a larger frame but again not a clue where to start.

Ideally wanted to be around the £1000 mark but now open to spending a bit more maybe uo to £1500.

I have chosen the worst time to buy a bike.

Philphil

Postby Philphil » 11 Jan 2021, 6:55pm

I'm also 6 7. I've had exactly the same issues as you. XXL bikes are likely to be too small. Bike shops are reluctant to get them in to try as they fear they will not be able to sell them, so you are at risk of getting a bike that's too small.

Years ago I had a 25 inch Giant Stonebreaker mountain bike. I really liked that bike and did a lot of miles, but it was too small.

The only way I've got bikes to fit is to go for custom build. I've also found a second hand frame after months of searching.

I'm in Oxfordshire should a visit to try an XXL mountain bike I have be feasible.

Good luck!

Philphil

Postby Philphil » 11 Jan 2021, 6:59pm

Altissima wrote:If you could spend a bit more a possible solution might be to have a handmade frame;

https://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/models/overview

I second this. If at all possible get a custom build. Anything off the peg will be too small.