Big and Tall Rider looking for a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Hillkidstr

Big and Tall Rider looking for a bike

Post by Hillkidstr »

Hi I'm new to bike riding and would like to purchase a bike sadly I'm all the wrong size being 6ft 7 and weighing in at 150kg from the research I have done I think I am looking for a 29er hardtail and a XL frame? But apart from that I am none the wiser, I have around £1000 to spend on a bike and just looking for some guidance on which they think would be best suited to me.

Thanks
WOT

Re: Big and Tall Rider looking for a bike

Post by WOT »

I’ve been watching this for a while but it’s too big for me.

Frame for life, change / upgrade bits as needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224098280571

I’m also keeping an eye on this which is also too big for me but I like the look of it.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 7&t=418546
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Hillkidstr wrote:Hi I'm new to bike riding and would like to purchase a bike sadly I'm all the wrong size being 6ft 7 and weighing in at 150kg from the research I have done I think I am looking for a 29er hardtail and a XL frame? But apart from that I am none the wiser, I have around £1000 to spend on a bike and just looking for some guidance on which they think would be best suited to me.

Thanks

A hardtail MTB sounds like a good choice, though if you intend to be mainly on road other options or fitting slick tyres could be considered.

I'm 6'4" and even at my height it's hard to get frames which genuinely fit, so I think you've got quite a challenge on your hands.

I own a Whyte hard tail MTB XL size which is a bit small really but was exactly at your price point. However, most MTBs these days seem to come with very short stems (not sure why) so fitting a riser stem eg https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-HighRise-M ... _60927.htm could get you a better reach and bar height for you.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

This recent thread covers the subject
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=139655
Hillkidstr

Post by Hillkidstr »

Thank you for all the advice. Although I have found threads for heavier riders its the height that also proves an issue i am ideally looking for a mountain bike and someone has recommended the nukeproof scout that I have to admit has taken fancy.

Just looking at some advise as to be honest I have no idea what the specs mean.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Hillkidstr wrote:Thank you for all the advice. Although I have found threads for heavier riders its the height that also proves an issue i am ideally looking for a mountain bike and someone has recommended the nukeproof scout that I have to admit has taken fancy.

Just looking at some advise as to be honest I have no idea what the specs mean.

At that price point, any bike will be "good"

My advice would be to buy from a reputable local shop that will help you make the right choice and support you if anything goes wrong or needs fixing. They should be able to help on getting the biggest frame you can too.

If you're a beginner to all this, I'd strongly suggest not buying online.

You may well be limited by availability in this time of pestilence of course.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I'm inclined to say - ignore the specs - they are a tad confusing and dont compare like with like - you need to sit on bikes. Shops are generally sold out at the mo, the remainder seems to be VERY expensive bikes and odd sizes - this could be in your favour. Go around ALL the shops you can.
Also look at private sales of used bikes, evilbuy, gumtree etc
Where are you ?
Hillkidstr

Post by Hillkidstr »

Hi thanks I am based in Manchester, there is a store with the nukeproof bike in my size that I can book to view so tempted to book.

I have a few shop suggestions to visit but would be grateful for more happy to travel for the right bike.
EDDROBB

Post by EDDROBB »

Dursley Pedersen bicycle.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Hillkidstr wrote:Hi thanks I am based in Manchester, there is a store with the nukeproof bike in my size that I can book to view so tempted to book.

Good plan
PH

Post by PH »

Hillkidstr wrote:i am ideally looking for a mountain bike and someone has recommended the nukeproof scout that I have to admit has taken fancy.

Is it mountain biking you’re interested in? If so, I have nothing to add. But if you’re interests are more general, I’d suggest that is probably too MTB oriented. That a friend recommended it may say more about them than you, that’s not a criticism, we can’t help it!
A make you might look at is Surly, know for tough bikes and available in larger sizes than most. A bit over your budget, but common enough to find secondhand. A Manchester stockist with a decent reputation is Keep Pedalling.
Hillkidstr

Post by Hillkidstr »

Thank you for that information, it isn't a friend who has recommended that bike just someone else who I've asked for some advise as I am completly out of my depths, the issue is I do not want to buy a bike then upgrade later on after a short period or spend upgrading I would rather buy something that will last me a good while before upgrading.

I have looked at surly and they do look very nice but as you say out of my budget but I cant say I've looked for secondhand models, but will take a look.

Although I'm not against second hand I feel I would have no idea what I was looking at if I went to buy one as long as I can pedal it and it goes forward I would think its fine but it could be on its last legs.

It is mainly mountain biking as that is what I used to do when I was alot younger and I do miss it.
Mattytowel

Post by Mattytowel »

As a big (but not as big as you) cyclist, I would say that 25inch would be the closest standard sized bike you could get, but that there would be a lot more stress on components.

I'm 6'5" and (currently) 100kg and 48years old. I have found traditional 25" racers to be the best I could get from normal used bike sources (I am what some call thrifty and others call tight). In 2013 I bought my first ever brand new bike - a 2XL Specialized Crossroads hybrid, which was significantly bigger and stronger than anything I'd had before, I did the C2C with tent etc, and would have suited you better in size, but maybe not for off-road. I sold it (£250 ish) a month ago, and went back to a steel framed old Raleigh (£40), but I still want something better.

Two of my brothers, who cycle more but aren't as tall say that I don't need to get such big frames, but could use longer seat posts and steerer, but I currently have a 1980s 23" Raleigh Pioneer (too small) and a 1980s 25" Raleigh Mercury (tyres too skinny, wheelbase too short), and for me there is a difference that can't be accomodated just with longer seat posts and steerer stem.

Mountain bikes do have a different geometry to road bikes though, so specific seat tube lengths might not be what to think about.

I also am watching that 25" Dawes Galaxy in Prestwich, maybe I should go and view it in a socially distant way. I can't comment on any specific models, but if it helps I can supply dimensions and photos of some of my past bikes. Or check ebay for a sold Specialized crossroads in Manchester - I added dimensions in that listing.

Matthew
Matthew

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Altissima

Post by Altissima »

If you could spend a bit more a possible solution might be to have a handmade frame;

https://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/models/overview
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Double post - can't I delete anymore?
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 19 Oct 2020, 10:27pm, edited 2 times in total.