Rohan sale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Rohan sale

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Oct 2020, 8:02am

A number of people - including me - on these pages like Rohan gear. Their sale is now on:

https://www.rohan.co.uk/offers/mens?utm ... 38bfe2a551
John

simonineaston

Re: Rohan sale

Postby simonineaston » 15 Oct 2020, 8:28am

There was a time when I practically lived in their Bags, but have now migrated gently to Fjallraven (second-hand off of fleabay, obs...) as they are made of sterner stuff, especially around the seat ! (npi) The Bags always wore through that area first, due to always being in the saddle.
Thanks for link :-)
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 15 Oct 2020, 8:47am

Once owned their real tough trousers called, iirc, uplanders back nearly 20 years ago. They're a slimmer fit than bags, in nylon so dried quicker than polycotton, more technical design and stretch. Plus it seemed longer length for the same waist size than bags. Also twice as expensive!

It eventually holed out and they stopped making it for a few years then brought out an inferior replacement model. I moved to keela and Rab then Montane. Now I'm thinking of Fjellraven in a darker colour without different coloured patches if they do that. I want a simple trouser that's stretch or articulated such that it can be made with less flappy fabric especially around the lower leg parts. Also, suitable for my long legs. That's really only Fjellraven or haglofs expensive trouser options. They're the only ones to offer unfinished hems or other longer leg length options.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Oct 2020, 8:59am

The timing of Rohan sales is as predictable as reviews of bike lights. And well-publicised with mailshots.

StuR

Postby StuR » 15 Oct 2020, 9:08am

Thanks for the heads up. I have just ordered some stuff.

PH

Postby PH » 15 Oct 2020, 10:44am

Oldjohnw wrote:A number of people - including me - on these pages like Rohan gear. Their sale is now on:

Thanks for that, nothing I need this time, well nothing that's in this sale, though worth a look.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 15 Oct 2020, 11:23am

Fjellraven in a darker colour without different coloured patches if they do that.
Fjallraven do more colourways than you can shake a stick at. At least two in every range are a uniform colour across all the panels. :-)
Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.20.50.png
screenshot of Fjallraven Vida trouser, in blue
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Enigmadick

Postby Enigmadick » 15 Oct 2020, 11:51am

Still prefer Lycra for normal rides but for short trips and for leisure wear I really like shorts and trousers from Swrve which come in a range of fabrics and weights to match the seasons.

What's more the waist sizes are in 1 inch increments for a perfect fit.

https://www.swrve.co.uk/collections/trousers
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Oct 2020, 2:50pm

Until this thread, I'd never heard of Rohan.

Can't say I'm interested in any of their stuff.
Sorry. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Oct 2020, 2:54pm

Mick F wrote:Until this thread, I'd never heard of Rohan.

Can't say I'm interested in any of their stuff.
Sorry. :oops:

I just searched the forum for Rohan and including this thread there were 407 hits.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Oct 2020, 3:01pm

................. and not one have I seen or paid any attention of.
Mick F. Cornwall

freiston

Postby freiston » 15 Oct 2020, 3:33pm

I used to buy a lot of Rohan gear but I haven't for about 3 or 4 years. I particularly used their chino style trousers and buttoned shirts for dress code compliant "smart casual" office wear (but was made redundant over two years ago and haven't worked in an office since). There were some trousers that I really liked but they changed the design and changed the materials ( they started to use a lot of stretchy materials) and I started struggling to find anything that I liked. The last pair of trousers that I got from them cling to my legs with static so much that they look like wrinkly tights on me. On other trousers, I had issues with quality too - material bobbling/pilling and belt loops fraying as well as plackets not laying flat. I had similar problems with Craghopper trousers too - but their particular problem was not enough material at the seams for the stitching to hold (as well as really badly finished plackets). I still have some Rohan stuff that I like and wear but them and Craghoppers are no longer my choice for trousers.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Oct 2020, 5:00pm

So some of us like Rohan, some of us don't and some have never heard of them.

Sounds about right.
John

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Oct 2020, 7:04pm

Like so many firms, they have changed a lot over the years. The original assumption that everybody was a longshanks and too bad if they weren't didn't suit me. They've recognised reality over that, but I think quality has slipped. As I posted above, the timetable for reductions has been predictable and I can't be the only one to put off buying for that reason.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 15 Oct 2020, 9:14pm

Longshanks? Your kidding? I used to wear a pair and they only fitted big boots on and were still a little short. Old measurements for 34" waist were the same as now and the same as just about every UK brand of outdoor trousers that's usually 33" inside leg. AFAIK that's the standard size for waist sizes of about 30/32" up to iirc 36", 38" might get 34"/36" leg in some. I'm 34"/34" in waist/inside leg on jeans which IME seem longer than the same dimensions claimed with outdoor trousers.

The only trousers for outdoors use with long legs for us longshanks tend to be Scandinavian brands. Haglofs used to do a very good pair but very few shops sold them and usually when they did the colour was green or green and black. Those trousers were very much like some of the fjellraven ones. Unfinished hem too so you could make them fit you. Back in the day a lot of brands did that and supplied an iron on strip to fix the length. I only ever left them as they came because they weren't actually very long unhemmed.