Should there be any play in a Headset ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
EVY1

Should there be any play in a Headset ?

Post by EVY1 »

Does anyone know if there should be any play on a headset?
delilah

Re: HEADSET

Post by delilah »

No. But how to adjust it depends whether you have Ahead or threaded/quill stem?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

('Fire and forget' post - definitely.)
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Funny question. No. It should turn freely with no rattling or play.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Before anyone can advise on remedial action you need to clarify what type of headset it is?

Does it have an Allen screwed fixing clamp for stem and Allen screw at top-AHEAD type- modern fixing or
Big nut for threads on fork? Traditional- bike probably 20+years old.

Whichever it is the 'play' will allow the balls to be hammered into bearings as you bounce over road bumps.

Fix it before you FOUL it
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Asking whether a headset should have play in it is a bit suspicious isn't it? The fact that the OP is able to formulate the question implies they already know the answer. It's like asking "is it a good idea to throw a match onto my highly flammable sofa?" Anyone who is able to formulate the question is also capable of typing that question into Google. Try it: you'll get a page full of videos and websites telling you all about the different types of headset and how to adjust them. Yet instead we're expected to believe the OP has instead registered an account on a forum to ask the question - and then disappeared.

There are loads of these daft 'fire and forget' questions on here, many of which attract several pages of responses without anyone noticing that the OP doesn't return.
Graham

Re: Should there be any play in a Headset ?

Post by Graham »

Probably not worth bothering further. OP has not logged in since posting the question.

. . . and as observed . . . too vague to have any expert-answer-value beyond a simple internet search.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I agree with the comments of the last two replies, but why? Why do people bother to make an account, ask an easily answered question (using Google etc) and then disappear?

At least with random phone calls, the caller is trying to get something, even if it's just when people are at home so that other scams can be targeted at the best time, but this - I can't see the angle.

Anyone?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Very possibly they check for replies without signing in again, to protect their data. Seems logical too if one just wants a bit of particular info, but does not want to 'belong' to a cycling forum

Often enough the replies are useful for others too

I adjusted my headset today actually, but I already knew how to :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 25 Oct 2020, 6:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

chris_suffolk wrote:...but why?... Anyone?

Good question. You sometimes see this sort of thing where forums set minimum activity requirements before members are able to do certain things, such as send PMs. I don't think this forum sets any such requirements, but I've caught a few spammers on other forums who've cut/pasted questions from similar forums as an easy way to establish their new account before they start their spamming activities. If their post looks suspicious, just cut and paste the text into a Google search and you'll often find the forum from whence they've copied it. Other times, it's just trolling - e.g. from someone who's not a fan of the forum or is just bored. But in short: I'm as mystified as you - the internet is a weird place, populated by far more bots than genuine users, so a lot of the stuff that goes on doesn't make any sense.

I've flagged up a few of these posts in the past, and some people have said that the discussion these posts generate is worthwhile regardless. I'd say this post is an example of where that's clearly not true. There hasn't actually been any technical discussion: just a bunch of replies asking the OP for more info about the problem - which won't be forthcoming.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Graham wrote:Probably not worth bothering further. OP has not logged in since posting the question.

. . . and as observed . . . too vague to have any expert-answer-value beyond a simple internet search.

Wow - 23 hours gone already and the OP hasn't logged in yet to view replies about his/her post. Disgraceful
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Graham

Post by Graham »

^ - Ask a vague question and don't bother to guide or "develop" the responses from the multiple people kind enough to reply to the original poster.

Why would any helpful respondent waste their time further ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never mine eh?
It's given us more than one thing to ponder! :D

As for play in a headset, it depends on how rigid your steerer is and if it's an old fashioned 1" one.
Try as I might over the eons with my Mercian I can never eliminate play without over-tightening. The steerer is 531c as the rest of the bike is.

The play is minimal of course and is only noticeable with the front brake on hard and rocking the bike back and forth REALLY hard.

.......... so the answer to the OP is should? = No .................. but will? = possibly.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Funnily enough, I have just this minute attempted to remove a tiny amount of play in my threadless headset and as far as I can tell, the sweet-spot between some detactable play and no binding is quite elusive!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

With my Moulton TSR, the headset is marvellous. Really pleased with it, and it's easy to adjust.

With Mercian, I'm on my fourth headset in twenty-four years. At the "sweet spot" there is no knocking even when rocking(!), but by holding a finger at the bearings - top or bottom - I can feel the flex and movement in the system.

No flex at all on Moulton.
Mick F. Cornwall