Help me surprise my hubby with a cycle trainer for Christmas please!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
adkmtngirl

Help me surprise my hubby with a cycle trainer for Christmas please!

Post by adkmtngirl »

Please help me make a hubby happy at Christmas!

I want to surprise him with a smart cycle trainer. He's not an avid cyclist (yet) but he has signed up for a charity triathlon and will need to train. He has a space and TV/computer screens in the garage for this setup so I figure he can train while working or watching telly. Perfect! Only problem is... I know nothing about bikes!

I was looking at the Kickr Snap as it's entry level and well-priced but I'm a bit confused about compatibility. It seems some Cannondales are not compatible (2021 Cannondale bikes with carbon frames) and he has a Cannondale. I think he bought it in 2019 so perhaps it's old enough to still be compatible?

I can't really access the bike (it's locked up high) to measure it or take the wheel off etc (not sure I'd even know how!) It says ISO 4210 on it. The tires say Schwalbe Spicer and Maddux RD 30 on them. I think (???) they are 700c road tyres. I can't figure out a way to determine the hub width.
I'm not stuck on only the Kickr Snap model if there another one (sub £1000) that would be a safer purchase compatibility-wise.

Many thanks in advance!!!
Paulatic

Re: Help me surprise my hubby with a cycle trainer for Christmas please!

Post by Paulatic »

Are you certain he’d like one?
If you surprised me with one I’d find it hard to show any appreciation.
Maybe he’d like a set of winter cycling clothes and get outside for some fresh air?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Might be of help.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/667/t ... yers-guide

But as Paul says check if that's what he's into....

Cheers James
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

As above.Smart trainers can end up being an expensive ornament if not wanted.
There are many sub £250 Smart trainers which are compatible with any 700c wheeled bikes(Tacx flow etc)
The Direct Drive trainers(where you remove the rear wheel) start at around £600 and TBH at that price range they’re all much of a muchness.
To be really honest many cyclists hate indoor trainers as even if watching TV or using a training App like Zwift,RGT or TrainerRoad etc it is REALLY boring and requires more discipline than going to the gym!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I beg to differ from some of the comments above, yes I like riding my bike out of doors, yes i'd far rather ride my bike out of doors in lovely sunshine, whether it is summer sunshine or those sharp cold but sunny days of winter. I hate day after day of wet dreary miserable weather or worse horizontal rain with gale force winds.... for those day in order to ensure I can keep riding / training and not end up with several days of getting totally fed up with the weather, I have a trainer and (these days) have it linked to Zwift.

I would not look at a complex trainer where you have to remove a wheel to attach the bike, but look at something that the back wheel can sit on... such as the Tacx Vortex which you can find at Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/vortex-in ... p-X8406860

You do not need to worry about the bike fitting, as it should because the trainer adjusts to the bike.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
scottg

Post by scottg »

DC Rainmaker has his annual winter trainer post up.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/sma ... inter.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You’ll find most Smart trainers are out of stock. Certainly most of the cheaper ones are, so you may not be able get the one you want.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to involve him in the decision, even if he is not paying :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
adkmtngirl

Post by adkmtngirl »

Many thanks to you all for your replies!

You can never be sure with a gift before you give it but, yes, I am pretty sure he'd like one. He's not only very fair weather with his cycling but we have three small children and he has a fairly intense job which makes it hard to get out in daylight hours. I genuinely don't know how he's going to squeeze the training in for the swim element of the triathlon on top! Pre-COVID he trained at the gym 2-3x in lieu of a proper lunch break so he's not anti-indoor exercise. On dark, wet days I think he would love the idea of training whilst watching a bit of telly or having conference calls in his man cave :lol: Of course when the weather is lovely, he can pop the bike off the trainer and journey out...

He is definitely not the type to want a say in what model we buy. I'm the researcher and he's the "honey, will you look into this and sort it out" type! :lol:

I had noticed that many are out of stock. I was hoping to get on a pre-order list for one in hopes it will arrive in the next six weeks...

I agree, one that you can just pop on and off without too much fuss is the right fit. Off to scour through the links and model suggestions! I may have further questions once I do that, I hope you all don't mind!

Thank you all again x
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just try to make sure he has not ordered one secretly :wink:
Or is he not the type to do that either?
I have given and received mystery presents, in both cases a trip to a 'surprising' place, got good memories of both
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
adkmtngirl

Post by adkmtngirl »

No I don't think that would happen either! Usually he keeps hinting and hinting until I give up and go order it for him :lol: Most recent item was a Theragun... he mentioned it once in passing so I bought it as his birthday gift and ferreted it away. He then proceeded to hint about it so many times over the next three weeks that I gave up and gave it to him a month early :roll:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Theragun I had to look that one up :) I’m speechless.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
adkmtngirl

Post by adkmtngirl »

By the way, if we assume for the sake of argument that (1) he would like one and (2) I can find one, does anyone have a view on whether the Kickr Snap should be compatible?

@scottg - That DC Rainmaker link was really helpful, thank you!!
adkmtngirl

Post by adkmtngirl »

Yeah, I love how in the adverts they show a lady peacefully massaging her own shoulders. Thing feels like a jackhammer that close to your head, nothing peaceful about it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have PM'd you
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells