Hot food on rides...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

Hot food on rides...

Post by nomm »

Although the current weather is barmy warm - those whole day rides in the cold are made much less challenging with a hot something or other somewhere, and with Covid this is becoming much more challenging.

A lot of walkers carry a thermos with some kind of hot tasty treat inside to keep them going all day - hot soups, stews, beans etc - and for not wanting to pack a stove etc with me for day ride, I was pondering if anyone does this on their rides?
Jdsk

Re: Hot food on rides...

Post by Jdsk »

Not for me, and rarely even coffee.

You have at least three options:
* Preheated
* Stove
* And the one you haven't mentioned: military style self-heating ration packs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/self-heating-meals/s?k=self+heating+meals

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Small, metal, wide-mouth, "Thermos" flask. Just job for keeping a portion of Heinz soup hot, for at least as long as I'm likely to be out...
Not exactly on topic but has anyone else seen the guy on YouTube whose hobby is opening and eating as many MREs as he can get his hands on? He's based in America and sounds just like Keanu Reeves (OK OK I know KR's from Canada but most folk can't tell the difference...). His vacuum-packed noshery has attracted nearly 2 million subscribers... !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve been carrying a flask since March although I haven’t always stopped and used it. I nearly caved to stopping for a coffee, at a favourite coffee shop, last week. Pleased I didn’t now as I learned today it’s closed for cleaning and isolation as some of staff contracted the virus.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

I stopped at the waffle stand (Doubtfires Waffles) on King's Lynn Tuesday Market Place today. They're also in Downham Market Fri/Sat and hope to be in Ely Thu/Sun from next month - both on NCN route 11. I've been to Lynford Arboretum coffee stand (just off the Two Rivers Cycle Route, RR (30)) a couple of times. I might go to Courtyard Coffee in Great Massingham (just off Peddar's Way) soon.

So hot food outdoors still seems available just now - possibly even more so than usual, as people this year are keener not to spend long times indoors with others and a few places which sometimes close November to Easter have not closed yet. I could take a flask but I'd rather support local businesses in a small way.
Attachments
Waffle on a bike!
Waffle on a bike!
Doubtfires Waffles
Doubtfires Waffles
Last edited by mjr on 10 Nov 2020, 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Lots of businesses forced to close are reopening as takeaways selling food on the go. Passed a cafe today that had cyclists sitting at outside tables with their takeouts. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

rjb wrote:Lots of businesses forced to close are reopening as takeaways selling food on the go. Passed a cafe today that had cyclists sitting at outside tables with their takeouts. :wink:

I admit I did that with my takeout on Saturday. I've made the mistake of trying to cycle with a takeaway cup of coffee before and had a nice coffee bath when I hit a bump!

My reusable cup has a plug for its securely-fitting lid, but everywhere seems to insist on using disposables during this crisis and I'm not sure it's worth carrying and cleaning my reusable solely to be able to get further from the cafe before sitting on my bike drinking it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

If I'm out cycling in freezing weather, I can't eat or drink anything hot because it sets my teeth on edge, so if I want a drink I have to stand at the side of the road blending cold water from the bottle with hot from a flask until it's lukewarm. If the water in the bottle has frozen, that's another problem still.....
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

With a traditional Carradice saddle bag on each bike, hubby and I always take hot drinks and these days flask with food. Everything fits in the saddle bag.

Even in summer and “normal” times we often take picnics especially when we out for day rides -50+.miles.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From about November to March I take a food flask of homemade soup if away over lunch time. To accompany I often have wholemeal pitta bread. Otherwise a flask of coffee or tea.

My food flask fits in my Carradice bag. The coffee flask fits in the water bottle holder
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 10 Nov 2020, 5:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've seen cyclists sipping something from small stainless steel vacuum flasks. Never bothered myself, but did buy one of these flasks for a walking friend.

They should (or plus padding) fit in a bottle cage and aren't expensive. See this 3 quid one from Wilkos https://www.wilko.com/wilko-500ml-stain ... lsrc=aw.ds

Surely the easiest solution.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Last Sunday I did a loop on my single speed winter bike, and extended it due to the sunny weather, there was a slight tailwind going out. Buoyed up by the first 'stage' of the ride, I then headed for the best chip shop in the market town I was going through, my plan was some lovely chips to be eaten in the nearby Memorial garden ..... lovely - Only one problem the chip shop was shut! no take-away on a Sunday. Other 2 chip shops in town were also shut, so clearly no holidaymakers expected at the moment! Into the (albeit slight) wind home I struggled more than I have in the last few years :( Ouch. 54 miles on single speed without a snack break is not something I usually do at this time of year.
Last edited by fastpedaller on 10 Nov 2020, 5:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

simonhill wrote:I've seen cyclists sipping something from small stainless steel vacuum flasks. Never bothered myself, but did buy one of these flasks for a walking friend.

They should (or plus padding) fit in a bottle cage and aren't expensive. See this 3 quid one from Wilkos https://www.wilko.com/wilko-500ml-stain ... lsrc=aw.ds

Looks good, but....... instructions say DO NOT WASH :shock:
RickH

Post by RickH »

fastpedaller wrote:Looks good, but....... instructions say DO NOT WASH :shock:

That should help with maintaining distancing! :lol:

Oh you meant the flask. :wink: Usually it just means don't leave immersed (the join at the base may not be watertight, assuming there is separate outer shell with the vacuum part inside) & /or do not use a dishwasher.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

simonhill wrote:I've seen cyclists sipping something from small stainless steel vacuum flasks. Never bothered myself, but did buy one of these flasks for a walking friend.

I have a similar Thermos flask. To stop it getting scratched and to get a better fit in the bottle cage I put the flask in an old sock. I can’t abide drinking a cold drink on a cold day. I’m toying with getting a Deboyo bottle flask so that I can have hot Ribena on a ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com