Hot food on rides...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

Re: Hot food on rides...

Post by nomm »

I am very much a constant eater on rides - think my tiny svelte body type doesn't help

I hate energy gel/bars and can't understand all these people whizzing their plastic bikes along, without stopping to look at the countryside or have a coffee/pint/cake, trying to best some unattainable figure - none the less each to their own

I am going to go with a thermos - lentil soup or a dhal, pitta, bread and butter - along side the usual home made snacks (my mums fruit loaf still rules and I am yet to make something that bests it) - I think my larger carradice may become the go to with 2x thermos :lol:
paddler

Post by paddler »

Turns out you can make your own powdered milk at home, should you want to. It's a way of preserving it for a while I suppose.

https://youtu.be/Ymm1RUxwyVc
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

Jdsk wrote:Constituents of Nido:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nido_(brand)

I can't find anything for Nido Full Fat... should that be Full Cream?
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/taste-of-the-world/nido-instant-full-cream-milk-powder-400g-7923918-p
also contains soy lecithin.

Jonathan

Sorry, full cream it is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I hadn't heard about Nido before this. I know what's in it. What do people like about it, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Long, long shelf life. Means I always have access to full fat milk, whatever the weather. Winter months, not so much of an issue, with respect to fresh milk spoiling but summer months, gives me ready access to milk for my muesli / porridge which are staples for me, when touring.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

Jdsk wrote:I hadn't heard about Nido before this. I know what's in it. What do people like about it, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

As cyclist & backpacker I have used Nido for many years because I think it's the best dried milk available.
I measure the amount I need and carry in a ziplock bag, it's lightweight, mixes well and keeps well. Another ziplock containing coffee and you're ready to go.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Rmr25 wrote:As cyclist & backpacker I have used Nido for many years because I think it's the best dried milk available.

I heard of it many years ago and have hunted for it, but never seen it on a supermarket shelf. Ordering it online and paying the postage feels too much of a faff for the little I'd use,
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

LollyKat wrote:
Rmr25 wrote:As cyclist & backpacker I have used Nido for many years because I think it's the best dried milk available.

I heard of it many years ago and have hunted for it, but never seen it on a supermarket shelf. Ordering it online and paying the postage feels too much of a faff for the little I'd use,

Saw it today in Asda £3:50, always stocked there.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Rmr25 wrote:
LollyKat wrote:

Can you make it back into milk and use it for, say, porridge?
John
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Just mix it up and treat it like fresh.
I spent about 3½ years on Nido - not much choice when the nearest cow is 1000 miles away.

I would say that mixing up a reasonable amount tends to work better than trying to mix just enough for just a cup of tea, and that dunking a spoonful of powder in the tea seldom works adequately. I'd also comment that once you've opened the tin, it's got a shelf life, which it's probably best not to take the micturate with too much. I found that it wouldn't mix properly at all when old.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

andrew_s wrote:Just mix it up and treat it like fresh.
I spent about 3½ years on Nido - not much choice when the nearest cow is 1000 miles away.

I would say that mixing up a reasonable amount tends to work better than trying to mix just enough for just a cup of tea, and that dunking a spoonful of powder in the tea seldom works adequately. I'd also comment that once you've opened the tin, it's got a shelf life, which it's probably best not to take the micturate with too much. I found that it wouldn't mix properly at all when old.

Thanks. I don't take it in drinks anyway but might try it for porridge or a cheese sauce.
John
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Rmr25 wrote:
LollyKat wrote:

Lucky you. I do most of my supermarket shopping in Asda (the nearest), followed by Tesco, Waitrose and Morrisons, and haven't seen it in any of them. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, though - I've always assumed it would be with the rest of the dried milk like Marvel and Coffee Mate.
nez

hot cup of tea

Post by nez »

This isn't a touring question in the very strictest sense, but I think one tourists will be best placed to answer. I want to buy a cheapish stove to cook a hot cup of tea or a can of soup as I extend my day-rides after lockdown. But I can't work out what to go for. I look on Amazon and there must be a million. There are spirit ones, gas ones, solid fuel ones. Stoves that run off twigs and scraps. Expensive ones and cheap ones. In my teens - a long time ago - I often used a pump up primus with paraffin. I'm not inclined to repeat that. I'm inclined towards a gas one with a fitted boiling cup thing, a clone because the jetboil ones are £150. Of course there are dead cheap spirit ones which are attractive because of price but I don't think they would offer the speed a roadside soup would require. Am I wrong? Any specific suggestions?