Hot food on rides...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Hot food on rides...

Post by Mick F »

Burger van. Lots of them about.
Hot cuppa, and food too if you want it, plus a chat and meet other people.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:I have a similar Thermos flask. To stop it getting scratched and to get a better fit in the bottle cage I put the flask in an old sock.

I suppose pouring a drink from an old sock is slightly better than Mr Bean's salad spinner...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKmAGUIDMs
[youtube]oXKmAGUIDMs[/youtube]
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A good way to carry a vacuum flask on a bike is a Bike Buddy

https://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/index.asp

Not as flexible as it appears from first glance, but if you want to carry a flask regularly on a bike, this is a reliable system.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Mick F wrote:Burger van. Lots of them about.
Hot cuppa, and food too if you want it, plus a chat and meet other people.

Only tend to be on main roads though, but useful if you can access one from a nearby country lane. There are plenty of cafes open for takeaway during the current lockdown.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Burger vans/trailers have been my primary hot drink source this year, less fuss than making/carrying a flask. This second time around (in England) there seem to be more cafes doing takeaway and thats further bolstered by the scores of garden centres who can be open and nearly all have some sort of food outlet. Oh and don't forget the petrol stations - most have one of those Costa machines.

If it gets colder i'll be tailoring my rides around hot food/drink a bit more but for now its still home made butties and cold water. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

A pasty wrapped in a couple of pieces of foil alternated with newspaper and then some bubble wrap. Will keep warm for ages.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I added photos to my earlier post.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

TrevA wrote:
simonhill wrote:I've seen cyclists sipping something from small stainless steel vacuum flasks. Never bothered myself, but did buy one of these flasks for a walking friend.

They should (or plus padding) fit in a bottle cage and aren't expensive. See this 3 quid one from Wilkos https://www.wilko.com/wilko-500ml-stain ... lsrc=aw.ds

Surely the easiest solution.

I have a similar Thermos flask. To stop it getting scratched and to get a better fit in the bottle cage I put the flask in an old sock. I can’t abide drinking a cold drink on a cold day. I’m toying with getting a Deboyo bottle flask so that I can have hot Ribena on a ride.

There are big differences in how well some flasks keep stuff hot. Its probably not a big factor if you just want a warm-ish drink most of the winter in Britain after 4 hours. But if expecting stuff to stay hot for 8 hours the performance will matter.

The cheap stuff usually doesn't perform well.
The expensive stuff is variable, some as bad as anything (so why spend the extra over the cheap items?), some really good.

I've got a good stainless flask which I look after. It also has a duvet jacket which helps in very cold conditions (ski touring in Norway, or winter hill climbs in Scotland). I use it on the bicycle, in a small pannier or rack bag.

- Nigel
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

fastpedaller wrote:Last Sunday I did a loop on my single speed winter bike, and extended it due to the sunny weather, there was a slight tailwind going out. Buoyed up by the first 'stage' of the ride, I then headed for the best chip shop in the market town I was going through, my plan was some lovely chips to be eaten in the nearby Memorial garden ..... lovely - Only one problem the chip shop was shut! no take-away on a Sunday. Other 2 chip shops in town were also shut, so clearly no holidaymakers expected at the moment! Into the (albeit slight) wind home I struggled more than I have in the last few years :( Ouch. 54 miles on single speed without a snack break is not something I usually do at this time of year.

I'd always take snacks on a ride of that length.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Not many cafes in rural north Northumberland. Take your own or go hungry.

A few decent places which you can include if appropriate, but rare.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I like a hot drink on a cold day but hate the taste of coffee or tea from a flask.
I get around this by taking hot water and a tea bag or coffee stick. Perfect and it's easier to keep the flask spotless.
whoof

Post by whoof »

francovendee wrote:I like a hot drink on a cold day but hate the taste of coffee or tea from a flask.
I get around this by taking hot water and a tea bag or coffee stick. Perfect and it's easier to keep the flask spotless.

I think it's the milk that makes it taste odd. Have you tried making tea without milk and putting that in a flask and then carrying a tiny bottle of milk?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not so bothered on hot food, but have been carrying one of those steel flasks that keep drinks hot for up to 5 hours, on the bike. It's a bit slim for the bottle cage but get around this by using a cut down bottle and insulating the flask with an old armwarmer. Keeps it nice and warm, food is homebaked cakes or, as earlier this year, the local bakers Hot Cross buns.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I have occasionally carried a flask but usually find that if it is cold enough to want hot food and drink, it is too cold to hang around outside while I eat it.
PH

Post by PH »

I like to have a hot drink on rides over a few hours, I used to take a flask but more recently take a small stove and brew my own. First a Jetboil and now the even smaller Primus Lite. I'll still stop at a cafe/takeaway if there's one convenient, it's just nice not to have the route and timing dictated by their location. There's also the time element, it's not that I don't have plenty, but unpredictable service in some cafes means I stop so long that I find it hard to get going again.