Starting a group ride

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rock bus

Starting a group ride

Post by Rock bus »

I’m struggling to find riding buddies (I know .....how sad does that sound!).
None of my friends or family are interested and don’t really know anyone else local.

Ive tried a few local clubs but for various reasons haven’t found right one..... one issue I have is two have main rides on a Sunday morning and my son plays football then.

I was thinking of just using the local village Facebook page to see if their were any local riders interested in going out together. but worried it might be difficult to find a group at similar levels (and people i‘ll get along with!).

Anyone done anything similar or have any suggestions?
thirdcrank

Re: Starting a group ride

Post by thirdcrank »

As a starter, you might say where you are based, then the standard you are looking for. Somebody may know something already up and running

Or others on here may be similarly placed.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I would wear nice clothing etc and ride routes popular wth local clubs-most men will stop and chat if they are alone.Men normally outnumber women by factor of seven.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Phone the local paper and explain what you're wanting to do (find folk to cycle with). Suggest they write an article on the growth of cycling in their circulation area with references to the government's recent funding strategy to get more people out on bikes. Send them a few pictures of you on the bike to illustrate the article. The paper can appeal to readers to send in details of small meet-up groups as well as longer established clubs. With so many newcomers to cycling, it will at least give the paper some topical "good news" coverage relating to Covid. You don't have to have your contact details printed: those who are interested can email the newspaper. Once the article has appeared you can photograph or scan it for use in a community Facebook page. You can also use it to introduce yourself to local cycling shops, all of whom will have their own band of biking enthusiasts.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Your LBS may have one or more ride groups that meet up regularly, or maybe if you have a local campaign group that has a social ride schedule.

maybe a look here might help https://www.cyclinguk.org/local-groups
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

You could ask the local cycling clubs if they are considering arranging group rides on days other than Sundays, there are likely to be others who have similar time constraints as you do.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

All good ideas above.
I moved to a new area a few years ago, and due to a, no job initially then b, shift work.. I was free to ride mid week. Finding and establishing where the local cycle cafes were was difficult to begin with. But I found out about a few then found that the local area had a very strong mid-week (albeit generally older retired) contingent of cyclists out and about. By going to one or two of the cafes midweek, I knew I could start linking up with other cyclists and while I usually rode to the cafe alone could often then link up with 1or2 others who riding back in a similar direction.

Sometimes it's just a case of starting off and getting out there to then meet others...

In the North West there are few mid week rides for various groups, Bolton, Southport etc., all have groups that go out mid week.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

flat tyre wrote:You could ask the local cycling clubs if they are considering arranging group rides on days other than Sundays, there are likely to be others who have similar time constraints as you do.

One of the CC I ride with has done just this.A couple of members mentioned an unofficial Saturday ride a few months ago(when the rule of 6 was in force) and it just took off.
The other CC I ride with has the usual Sunday smash-fest but also a social Friday and regular unofficial Tuesday/Wednesday evening rides in Summer.
I'm sure if you ask at a local CC they'll have something similar as many riders ride 2/3/4 times a week!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Under normal circumstances, I would say to keep trying local clubs, maybe trying some a bit further afield. When I was looking for a cycling club, I had to try a few before I found one that suited, and it wasn't the closest.

Now, I guess it depends on where you live. There are not so many places where anyone should be doing organised rides at the moment. That said, you could potentially ask to use local club forums / webpages / facebook groups, or ask some local club secretaries to put the word out for you?

Putting 'cycling' + some local place names into Facebook might turn up an exisiting page that someone has for organising such things. Don't just try the local village, but also bigger villages or the closest town and other nearby villages.

Other suggestions above are also good.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

mumbojumbo wrote:I would wear nice clothing etc and ride routes popular wth local clubs-most men will stop and chat if they are alone.Men normally outnumber women by factor of seven.

Notts CTC Saturday "Easy" rides are often at least half female - especially when the weather worsens!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

That makes sense-women are more blessed with mental and physical resilience.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

There are usually local community groups on the Internet.
Nextdoor is one.
There are often local general Facebook pages where you could ask if anyone goes cycling.
There are also Twitter pages supporting cycling. You can search for your location and cycling and see what turns up.
Also, talk to your local Council. They are often keen (especially now) to promote cycling.

Obviously group rides are suspended for a few weeks, but a bit of research could find some prospects for when the lockdown lifts.
Unless you are in Wales, of course. :lol:
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Yep find your local Cycle Touring Club group via the Cycling UK website. Groups ride weekends, weekdays and weekday evenings in the summer months. Many CTC members are pensioners so prefer to ride on weekdays rather than weekends which might fit your needs.

And don't be put off by their age. These people can ride every day of the week and many are ridiculously fit despite being in their 7th or 8th decades. My local group rode the Welsh border in 13 hours last year!

Equally some are e-warriors happily pottering around between cake stops without hardly breaking into a sweat.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Enigmadick wrote:Yep find your local Cycle Touring Club group via the Cycling UK website. Groups ride weekends, weekdays and weekday evenings in the summer months. Many CTC members are pensioners so prefer to ride on weekdays rather than weekends which might fit your needs.

And don't be put off by their age. These people can ride every day of the week and many are ridiculously fit despite being in their 7th or 8th decades. My local group rode the Welsh border in 13 hours last year!

Equally some are e-warriors happily pottering around between cake stops without hardly breaking into a sweat.

All just so! Even in our recent max of 6 rider-groups we have had ages ranging from mid-20s to over 70. Health makes me one of the slowest, but weather not an issue.
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Try looking up local rides on 'Lets Ride' (http://www.letsride.co.uk) there are usually lots of different rides of varying abilities along with days / times etc so there should be something to suit - all after lockdown of course.

HTH

Neil
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk