Superwheel - how does this work ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rogerzilla

Re: Superwheel - how does this work ?

Post by rogerzilla »

james01 wrote:A reasonably intelligent relation of mine asked why they don't put dynohubs on electric bikes so you could charge the battery as you ride along. :?

You may laugh but, until recently, German e-bikes had to have dynamo-powered lighting. I suppose the thinking was that you might end up pedalling home with a flat battery.
jb

Post by jb »

Drop a perpetual motion topic into any forum and you have a perpetual thread of infinite length - Newton's fifth & a bit law of moving bodies.
Cheers
J Bro
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

jb wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:36am Drop a perpetual motion topic into any forum and you have a perpetual thread of infinite length - - -
:lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This device is a great thread generator. Bahahahaha..... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jb

Post by jb »

Dynamos are used on electric bikes so you can get home with a flat battery and still have light, also the lights don't use electric from the battery on the dowhills . The amount of useful energy they could put back into a battery is about next to nothing.
Some manufactures don't see you ever running it flat so take power straight off the battery. You pays your money and takes yer pic.....
Cheers
J Bro
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Maybe the wheel works if you make sure you bounce up and down on the saddle all the time to create power at the wheel!
Need to do it frequently to counter the extra 10kg wheel :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I often wondered how much energy the freewheel ratchet takes away from you? Brucey put me wise to the plain bearing pedals I was using and I can feel the difference when I moved to ball bearing only ones.
I am here. Where are you?
jb

Post by jb »

Freewheels only drag when their free wheeling, when you pedal its like their not there, apart from two extra bearings on some models that is.
Cheers
J Bro
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Yeah but how much do they eat when freewheeling and can you buy better ones to limit how much energy they waste.
I am here. Where are you?
jb

Post by jb »

since free wheeling requires no input - who cares?

Racers might on long decents but the difference in drag on quality models is three parts of nowt.
Cheers
J Bro
jb

Post by jb »

rjb wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 1:21pm As an aside this wheel reminded me of an attachment to keep your tyres inflated. It relied upon a spring loaded ball in a brass tube which as it bounced along and rotated with the wheel would compress air and inflate your tyres. It was widely advertised in the "comic" in the 1960's. It fell by the wayside pretty rapidly. Anyone recall this device, about the size of a 2 inch pencil. :lol:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/17/airwin ... ure-again/

Bad ideas never die they just resurrect themselves when they think they've been forgotten.
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »