Covid Infection boundaries

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Can one legally cycle out of a Covid tier-3 area ?

Post by Mick F »

Live in a border town?
Hay on Wye?
People live there and work in England, or vice versa.
Chatting about it on the radio only a day or so ago.

What happens if you live 50yds inside the border?
What happens if you don't have a car and only cycle to do the shopping?

Therefore, you CAN legally cycle out of a Tier 3 area.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:Live in a border town?
Hay on Wye?
People live there and work in England, or vice versa.
Chatting about it on the radio only a day or so ago.

What happens if you live 50yds inside the border?
What happens if you don't have a car and only cycle to do the shopping?

Therefore, you CAN legally cycle out of a Tier 3 area.

I don't know too much about the English tier system, but in the Welsh "lockdown" we have here today we can go where we like if it is for work, and we can make reasonable trips for groceries, hospital visits, etc. We can cycle anywhere for exercise or for one of the "essential" purposes. I don't think there would be a problem from the Welsh perspective with crossing the border from Hay (in Wales) to Cusop (Herefordshire, England) to buy groceries at the Coop, but would it contravene English rules? Don't the rules everywhere allow trips for essential purposes?

I know for a fact that if you cross the Severn bridges from England today you are likely to see the police and if you are travelling into Wales for reasons deemed "non-essential" you will be risking being stopped, questioned and turned back. I think you might be okay if you are looking like you are just exercising on your bike though.
Last edited by pwa on 24 Oct 2020, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
col2019

Post by col2019 »

if people would stick to all guide lines the quicker we would get back to so normality, the sister in law lives in Austraila and cant believe how slack the guide lines ,rules are in the uk,
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

col2019 wrote:if people would stick to all guide lines the quicker we would get back to so normality, the sister in law lives in Austraila and cant believe how slack the guide lines ,rules are in the uk,

The UK seems to be engaging in an experiment, surely it can’t be coordinated. England has three tiers, Scotland five but the schools stay open, NI has closed Schools, Wales seems to be shutting down to March levels. Maybe at the end we will know what approach if any work?
pwa

Post by pwa »

geocycle wrote:
col2019 wrote:if people would stick to all guide lines the quicker we would get back to so normality, the sister in law lives in Austraila and cant believe how slack the guide lines ,rules are in the uk,

The UK seems to be engaging in an experiment, surely it can’t be coordinated. England has three tiers, Scotland five but the schools stay open, NI has closed Schools, Wales seems to be shutting down to March levels. Maybe at the end we will know what approach if any work?

Wales is not shutting down to March levels. You can cycle and walk as far as you like for exercise, unlike in March. Primary schools will be open as soon as half term break finishes. Younger secondary kids will be in school too. The remaining kids will be in school a week later. We are keeping the idea of "bubbles", meaning single people living alone can be in one household with one other household, unlike in March.

The opportunity afforded by half term, when schools are out anyway, is being used to reduce the R rate with a minimum of disruption to education. Trouble is, it will have a limited effect and will need to happen several times over the winter.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

Seems we are travelling back in time to the police state of 1984, 1985. Miners on strike to save their jobs, police stopping cars in mining areas and sending male occupants back home, or be arrested. Forward to 2020, Conservative Government again destroying jobs. Stop people from travelling, makes it much harder for people to demonstrate against these ridiculous rules that are throwing people out of work. ie: two people can work together in the same shop, office, but cannot visit each other in their homes. Children can mix in class but not see each other in their homes etc.
How many lockdown episodes are we to endure? Travel limitations serve only to control the population, not the virus.
No-one said to the population don’t go to work when the bombs were dropping, we need to save lives.
It’s enough to drive us all to drink, if only the pubs were open, for a drink not a substantial meal
Keep cycling, burn the calories, save the NHS.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RH20 wrote:Seems we are travelling back in time to the police state of 1984, 1985. Miners on strike to save their jobs, police stopping cars in mining areas and sending male occupants back home, or be arrested. Forward to 2020, Conservative Government again destroying jobs. Stop people from travelling, makes it much harder for people to demonstrate against these ridiculous rules that are throwing people out of work. ie: two people can work together in the same shop, office, but cannot visit each other in their homes. Children can mix in class but not see each other in their homes etc.
How many lockdown episodes are we to endure? Travel limitations serve only to control the population, not the virus.
No-one said to the population don’t go to work when the bombs were dropping, we need to save lives.
It’s enough to drive us all to drink, if only the pubs were open, for a drink not a substantial meal
Keep cycling, burn the calories, save the NHS.

I agree about the inconsistencies, but what would your solution be? Apart from "keep cycling", which always makes sense.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I must say I am never very comfortable with comparisons with WW2. Then people gave up not a few months but many years. Young people gave up uni, sometimes for ever. There was rationing, little petrol, meagre food and poor clothing. No holidays.

We complain if we can't go shopping for two weeks. Or if flights to Orlando are cancelled.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RH20 wrote:Travel limitations serve only to control the population, not the virus.

More please... in the light of another thread may I check if you think that there is an outbreak of a new virus that is passed from person to person?

And if you think there is why travel which exposes you to other people either during or after wouldn't increase transmission.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:I must say I am never very comfortable with comparisons with WW2.

A very wise feeling.

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As above. There is much whinging over fairly minor things. As in much of life we have got soft and greedy. Ah well, I expect my grandparenst said the same about my mum and dad.
Here in the Forest of Dean it is interesting. Closest supermarkets for many of us are in Wales. Chepstow or Monmouth. The border is most confusing as it leaves the Wye and then rejoins. I wonder if there is a line up in the woods?
Will see what's what toorrow going through Wales(Chepstow) to cross the Severn bridge on the way to Poole.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mattsccm wrote:As above. There is much whinging over fairly minor things. As in much of life we have got soft and greedy. Ah well, I expect my grandparenst said the same about my mum and dad.
Here in the Forest of Dean it is interesting. Closest supermarkets for many of us are in Wales. Chepstow or Monmouth. The border is most confusing as it leaves the Wye and then rejoins. I wonder if there is a line up in the woods?
Will see what's what toorrow going through Wales(Chepstow) to cross the Severn bridge on the way to Poole.

For anyone who lives in Wales the rule is that you are allowed to travel for essentials like food, and I have heard nothing to suggest there is any problem with English residents popping over the border to do that if, as in your case, that is the most practical way of getting your groceries. I don't think you need to worry about that. But you can't be on Welsh roads for purposes not in the list of those deemed essential. I could not, for example, drive out of Wales to Bristol airport for the purposes of a holiday. If I were stopped that would be deemed non-essential. I think you would be judged the same as a local if you were stopped on a Chepstow road. No special exemptions because you come from just over the border.

Perhaps the best news is that you can cycle as much as you like, so long as your ride starts and finishes at your home.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It’s about to become very complicated for us. Nottingham, Gedling and Rushcliffe likely to go into Tier 3. Newark and Sherwood staying in Tier 2. I live in Rushcliffe but not far from Newark and Sherwood or Leics, so if I can’t travel out of a Tier 3 area, it’s going to be very restrictive for me. The border makes no actual sense, you can be cycling along a road and cross from one borough to the next without even knowing.

My club rides meet in Newark and Sherwood (T2), but we mostly ride in Rushcliffe(T3) and Leics(T2) and many members live in Gedling Borough(T3).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry but that's the most insanely inaccurate post I've read for a few minutes.
Locking down DOES NOT WORK, social distancing does not work and masks are just another aspect of the measures that DO NOT WORK!
There will be no future normal, wake up for goodness sakes. Vaccinations and crypto currency is where it's at for the future. No vaccine no access to money, even Boris has said about nano chips in humans, Gates via his company MS have patented a cyrpto currency via chips in humans that can track you 24/7 and will be needed to pay for things, no more cash, no more control for you.
The people obeying the rules are the ones testing positive, you can't beat a flawed test that gives a big fat + due to flu/cold and dead organic matter left over from same!
This means indefinite positives on a massively overinflated scale and no vaccine will defeat it unless they change the test itself such that lower cycles means fewer positives thus proving that the 'vaccine' works! :roll: it's so bleedin obvious, there is no normal future, get used to having freedoms removed until you cave in to forced vaccine dependency or have no access to being able to buy things or go anywhere!
pwa

Post by pwa »

And you really believe all that? Blimey!