Which Columbus tubing?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Squibnocket

Which Columbus tubing?

Postby Squibnocket » 25 Nov 2020, 2:59pm

I'm currently restoring a Rixon bike that is made from Columbus tubing but I don't know which tubing was used as the decals hadn't been replaced when it was last painted. How do I know ? As I want to put the correct decals back on.
Tia

hamster

Re: Which Columbus tubing?

Postby hamster » 25 Nov 2020, 3:17pm

Easiest to identify is SLX: the tubes are rifled. Take a peep down the seat tube with a torch.

peetee

Postby peetee » 25 Nov 2020, 4:37pm

It’s quite possible that it isn’t a tube set at all. A lot of custom builders picked individual tubes to suit the customer and their requirements.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 25 Nov 2020, 4:47pm

Rixon is the brand name for Rick Green's cycles in Handforth, is it not?

They're still open, give 'em a ring?

Squibnocket

Postby Squibnocket » 25 Nov 2020, 11:52pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:Rixon is the brand name for Rick Green's cycles in Handforth, is it not?

I did, I spoke to Paul who was very accommodating with my enquiry. He said that Neil Shankland would have built the frame and to give him a call which I did. If only he was as accommodating as Paul, I asked about the cost of a restoration and tried to get some information about the frame, his response was in my opinion quite rude and completely disinterested apart from the fact he managed to quote me an astronomical price for the restoration.
Needless to say I'll be taking my frame elsewhere.

Squibnocket

Postby Squibnocket » 25 Nov 2020, 11:53pm

peetee wrote:It’s quite possible that it isn’t a tube set at all. A lot of custom builders picked individual tubes to suit the customer and their requirements.

Thanks for that.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 26 Nov 2020, 9:01am

Squibnocket wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Rixon is the brand name for Rick Green's cycles in Handforth, is it not?

I did, I spoke to Paul who was very accommodating with my enquiry. He said that Neil Shankland would have built the frame and to give him a call which I did. If only he was as accommodating as Paul, I asked about the cost of a restoration and tried to get some information about the frame, his response was in my opinion quite rude and completely disinterested apart from the fact he managed to quote me an astronomical price for the restoration.
Needless to say I'll be taking my frame elsewhere.

Ah, sorry to hear that, bit of a shame.