Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Ordering from Rose in new year?

Post by Sweep »

I think I've missed my chance.

Just been onto the site and several key run of the mill components (chains, cassettes) etc I would have bought from my wish list are now showing availability in 4 or even 16 weeks - ie they don't even have them in stock.

some things have also shot up in price as well (notably a nice 9 speed cassette I got from them in January for £11.50) though that could be due to the global covid hell.

Fingers crossed something gets sorted in the new year (possibly a vain hope) as apart from the prices Rose was always good for stuff many UK retailers didn't sell.
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

UK rules are changing from January

HMRC wrote:The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC. (HMRC link)

The below £15 limit is being abolished.

Some overseas sellers have decided it is no longer worth their while & will no longer sell to the UK. Those that sell directly will have to be UK VAT registered & collect the VAT. Online marketplaces (eBay, Amazon, etc) will be responsible for collecting & paying the VAT to HMRC.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

My understanding is that Rose stopped selling to the UK altogether earlier this year, including compnents. I may be wrong but recall having an email from to that effect when I ordered a load of spokes.
Maybe someone has more up to date info.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I thought they had stopped shipping bikes - as I received an e-mail from them: components are still fine.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Rose are still selling bike parts, subject to availability, but have stopped selling bikes to the UK.

Everyone is experiencing shortages of bikes and bike parts.
Basically, everything is ordered a year or 18 months in advance from the far east, and arrives in shipping containers on the slow boat. If demand is significantly higher than forecast, as has been the case, stocks run out, and getting more takes a fair time, and even longer if everyone else is trying to put in extra orders too.

Rose say that bikes is due to the UK right-front brake requirement. There would be a fair amount of extra work involved in swapping the brakes over, especially for hydraulic, and they've obviously decided it's not worth while. Maybe right-front hydraulic brakes are one of the things out of stock, and bike supply will return post-Covid, maybe not.
Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

How about some time next year you travel to Germany, buy a nice utility/touring/expedition bike less tax, as you are from over seas, ride your new bike around Europe on a tour returning to the UK just before your 3 months visa free stay is up?
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Isn't all of this an argument for (preferably) supporting your LBS or at least a UK online retailer?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Billy007 wrote:How about some time next year you travel to Germany, buy a nice utility/touring/expedition bike less tax, as you are from over seas, ride your new bike around Europe on a tour returning to the UK just before your 3 months visa free stay is up?

You'd still legally owe VAT and Import Duty on it.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The front brake would sill be on the L/H lever, although you might have got used to that after a few months use.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

st599_uk wrote:
Billy007 wrote:How about some time next year you travel to Germany, buy a nice utility/touring/expedition bike less tax, as you are from over seas, ride your new bike around Europe on a tour returning to the UK just before your 3 months visa free stay is up?

You'd still legally owe VAT and Import Duty on it.

If doing this becomes popular or it is a big tax saving, then cyclists can expect checks on their bikes when they return to the UK. This is already fairly common when flying in from long haul destinations.

I now carry a copy of my purchase receipt with me when travelling overseas.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NickWi wrote:Isn't all of this an argument for (preferably) supporting your LBS or at least a UK online retailer?

Most online UK sellers and bike shops don't stock the stuff I need.
Sweep
Billy007

Rose Bikes No Longer Serving UK Market

Post by Billy007 »

It is with some sadness that I got this notification earlier today from Rose Bikes:

Dear Customer,

due to the Brexit and the withdrawal from the EU domestic market without an Free Trade Agreement from the 01.01.2021, we can no longer fullfill any orders from the UK. Already ordered goods, that can be shiped until 20.12.2020 will be send out. Orders that can not be shipped until this date will be cancelled.
If your goods can not be shipped, our customer support will contact you via E-Mail. Unfortunately we feel compelled to not fulfill UK orders currently, we hopte to be able to ship to our UK customers soon again. Thank you very much for understanding and for your loyalty and support.

But fortunately my recent order has just been dispatched so hopefully I get my stuff before all trade temporarily ceases with the EU.
Ray

Re: Rose Bikes No Longer Serving UK Market

Post by Ray »

That is a blow. I'm in the same position as Billy; my recent order was en route with the carriers on 18 Dec.

******** Brexit.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Taking back control of our orders"?

Jonathan
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Bike Radar was offering a different explanation back in September?

German retailer Rose Bikes will no longer sell bikes to the UK market due to changes in internal assembly processes that mean it is not feasible to set bikes up with the front brake on the right, as required by law in the UK.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rose-bik ... ilable-uk/