Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Sweep »

I have a voucher from them and am wondering whether to get it used before the end of the year.

Anyone case to speculate about what might happen in the new year?

I suppose I'm basically thinking about their prices to UK customers.

And any customs complications/charges.

No dogma/political arguments in replies please - there are endless Brexit discussions/arguments elsewhere on here.

Am just thinking of practical issues.

Rose are of course good for lots of things that the likes of Wiggle/Chain Reaction either don't bother with any more or charge more for.
Last edited by Graham on 3 Jan 2021, 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post merge : new topic title
Sweep
st599_uk

Re: Ordering from Rose in new year?

Post by st599_uk »

We'll be outside the EU customs area, so unless there's a deal which includes the relevant product type I would expect to pay VAT and import duty, plus the handling charge.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

Hope you're not planning to buy a bike !

They have some stupid crappy excuse for not sending to the UK on their website, but it smacks of a euro****.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

UK has a different requirement on brake handle layout. Until now there was equivalency between regulatory regimes. From January the UK decided not to allow that.

Bikester have the same warning now, but the option to pay to make UK legal.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Practical issue:-

In recent times, I've only bought one thing from abroad on WTO terms. The VAT / duty were calculated, presumably by HMRC and I got a card from the Royal Mail telling me it was at the delivery office. That's only a mile away for me but a pita to visit. I paid them the taxes and on top there was their handling fee which was IIRC £8-00

In the early 1960s received a gift of a couple of LPs from France by post. The postman had the package with him but needed paying immediately. He then covered it with postage stamps to the value of the charge.

IME some firms based in Europe have a subsidiary in the UK who take your payment in £ (saving exchange rate credit card charges) even though the goods will come from abroad. In the absence of a deal, I presume they will have to rethink.

In short WTO terms = faff for private customers
Last edited by thirdcrank on 28 Nov 2020, 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote:UK has a different requirement on brake handle layout. Until now there was equivalency between regulatory regimes. From January the UK decided not to allow that.

Bikester have the same warning now, but the option to pay to make UK legal.

I should stress that I'm talking about components etc, not a bike.

I knew about the bike thing - they announced it a few months ago.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

I've stocked up a bit on stuff I know I'm going to use - tyres, tubes, chains, brakes, Rohloff consumables... and a couple of items that were on my long term shopping list. Not just form EU suppliers, there's likely to be some impact on the UK ones as well. If prices don't go up, I haven't lost anything, if they do or importing gets more complicated, I'll have saved some cash and/or effort. How much of either is anyone's guess, I expect it'll become the new normal before too long, just like the unimagined events this year has, it's the transition period that might be difficult. Outside of a disaster (For me, not the economy) I could probably get away without buying anything for at least the next year.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well if there are bits you want then why wait - surly things wont be getting better than now? they can only get worse eg taxes and price increases.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

First, check with HMRC to see if there is a tax free minimum value.

Otherwise you 'should' pay all import duties and VAT. As said above, the Post Office normally take care of this. They did when I bought a bike bag from NZ. The company worked out tax and I paid them, so easy. As said above, not all companies make it so easy.

In theory you should get the goods tax free from the supplier, good luck with that.
rjb

Post by rjb »

HMRC advice here. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Looks like you will be charged VAT on items over £15 plus whatever the courier charges as a handling fee.
This explains why lots of items on eBay from China are sold for £14.99. :wink:
Although several will attempt to circumvent this by filling in the customs declaration with a lower value. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know about parts but talking to a bike retailer about bikes (one I was interested in) from EU made to order and they said if "no deal" bikes would be subject to 8% import duty.

But there is also the aspect of exchange rates and what might happen to sterling if "no deal" is announced (i.e. drop in value but probably happen at the time of announcement rather than on 1 Jan 2021).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re my recent purchase mentioned above.

I found what I wanted on Amazon marketplace from a vendor in the US. It was possible to order it through Amazon UK avoiding extra credit card and currency conversion charges. The system was that Amazon also calculated all the extras like VAT and duty and charged in £££. Then, if it turned out to be less there would be a refund of the difference; if it was more, Amazon would stand it.

However, the item concerned was a wool hat and this simple arrangement only applied to the standard size and a more recently introduced L/XL version was only available as a direct order. The hat was exactly what I had been looking for but I'd be slow to buy anything like that again. Obviously, paying all the charges to Amazon in one go would have come at a price, but seeing everything listed on the credit card statement and another list at the delivery office took the shine off the hat (to the extent that a woolly hat is shiny.)

What takes this into the realms of absurdity is that the manufacturer is based in Austria but apparently with a sole distributor in the US, so it's started in the EU, been flown to the US and then posted to me back here in what was then still the EU.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rjb wrote:HMRC advice here. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Looks like you will be charged VAT on items over £15 plus whatever the courier charges as a handling fee.
This explains why lots of items on eBay from China are sold for £14.99. :wink:
Although several will attempt to circumvent this by filling in the customs declaration with a lower value. :shock:

yes i know some folk do that with chinese stuff - and boast about it.

Fraud as far as I'm concerned.

The £15 thing isn't a problem for me with china - i never buy anything anywhere near that value and would never buy any serious bike bits or anything with a potential safety issue from a mysterious chinese bay seller.

thanks for the info on rose and the EU.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Seriously though........do they offer tax free for export orders?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I buy from them regularly and I have a voucher which I'll not spend until 2021.
Won't effect me as I live in France. :wink: