Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 1:52pm
RickH wrote:
rogerzilla wrote:That was utterly predictable when Mastercard made the first move. They do it because they can.
Or they do it because they are no longer prevented from doing so due to EU rules, And the UK government haven't created an equivalent rule/law, whether by accident or design.
Or carried out an impact assessment which would have informed the people and Parliament.

Jonathan
I think our approach has been more iterative in nature :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Less senseless toing and froing across the North Sea, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

kylecycler wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 10:31am
Jdsk wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:12am VanMoof's experience in today's Observer:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... trade-hard

Also chocolate bars and malt whisky the other way.

Jonathan
Any mention of VanMoof = an excuse to (re)post this video - still makes me smile every time...

Her name is Jasmijn Rijcken, she's not just a pretty face, she actually set up the VanMoof brand. Never tried the 'trick', mind you, but I don't 'bike in a skirt' as they say over there (or even a kilt!) so I wouldn't need to. :)

Anyone wondering about the awesome bike shop in the video, it was (no longer is, sadly - the Citi Bike bike hire initiative, the NY equivalent of Boris Bikes did for it) a business devoted to transportation cycling - HUB - Hudson Urban Bicycles. I suppose it will be a while before we eventually find out what effect Brexit (or even the pandemic) has on the cycling industry.

https://www.amny.com/news/bicycle-shop- ... -him-down/
The height disparity has nothing to do with it, oh no no no!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Which? calls for clarity on post-Brexit delivery charges. The government must ensure consumers aren’t misled or hit by unexpected fees when shopping with EU retailers"

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/04/wh ... y-charges/

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:33pm "Which? calls for clarity on post-Brexit delivery charges. The government must ensure consumers aren’t misled or hit by unexpected fees when shopping with EU retailers"

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/04/wh ... y-charges/

Jonathan
I've just (successfully) taken issue with the company that I bought my latest watch from. Idiots:

a. Wouldn't tell be definitively what rates would apply
b. Folded the invoice such that the full-priced item appeared more expensive to Brer Customs (well, Mr Parcelforce) than it was post discount, resulting in an overpayment of import VAT
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

wrote: I see Bike24 are now saying "Product not shippable to Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland)" where previously they were saying "Product not shippable to the United Kingdom".
Indeed, they were one of three obvious bottle dynamo sources I checked yesterday. Of the other two, one has set a minimum order of about EUR175, that appears to apply to the UK, but not Ireland, and the other has a list of shipping rates for every country you could think of apart from the UK, in fact also assumes a US destination if you have chosen English as the language.

So it appears that there are problems in consumer level imports from previously established suppliers, and that they probably are related to the UK VAT collection procedure.

I could not see an obvious way to find out how you got things shipped to Ulster. There must be scope for someone to run a transhipment business...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wjhall wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 12:59pmI could not see an obvious way to find out how you got things shipped to Ulster. There must be scope for someone to run a transhipment business...
I've wondered about that. I think that it could work at low volumes.

Jonathan

PS: Obviously only for six of the counties...
PH

Post by PH »

I've just been browsing the German Starbike website, I've bought from them before, dynamo and Alfine hubs, Rohloff parts and they're the cheapest supplier of MKS pedals. The didn't have what I was looking for, but then neither does anyone else, the £ prices exclude VAT, they're adding UK VAT at the checkout for orders under £135 or sending to be collected by the carrier for orders over that. So, I'll still use them for the smaller items, but suspect the added costs of the larger ones will make it uneconomical unless something is heavily discounted.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

.... wrote: I've just been browsing the German Starbike website, I....
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they do not sell bottle dynamos, although I suppose there is a case that anyone wanting to buy a bottle dynamo needs counselling rather than advice on import procedures.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 1:04pm
PS: Obviously only for six of the counties...
Presumably, but with all the focus on procedures for getting things from the UK into Ulster I am not clear what happens the other way. In principle there is no customs border within the thirty two counties; I suspect anyone running a business moving noticeable quantities of goods across the Irish sea could face questions about where they came from on arrival at Liverpool.
nez

Post by nez »

wjhall wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:08am
.... wrote: I've just been browsing the German Starbike website, I....
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately they do not sell bottle dynamos, although I suppose there is a case that anyone wanting to buy a bottle dynamo needs counselling rather than advice on import procedures.
I’d have thought that at one time, but I’ve had a bottle dynamo on my Brompton for years and its worked faultlessly, even in the rain. Tyres are Marathon plus.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Ordering from Rose in new year?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bikes`n`guns wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 10:27am Hope you're not planning to buy a bike !

They have some stupid crappy excuse for not sending to the UK on their website, but it smacks of a euro****.
How dare those companies not in the UK refuse to pay for the privilege of collecting taxes for the UK government.

Going to have to get stuff shipped to a friend in the EU, and then shipped on to me privately.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

wrote:
I’d have thought that at one time, but I’ve had a bottle dynamo on my Brompton for years and its worked faultlessly, even in the rain. .
I have been using bottle dynamos for forty five years, so am fully familiar with their many failure modes, hence my remark. They have a niche in bikes with brazed on dynamo mounts, or, paradoxically in my case, old bikes without mounts, where it is possible that being cheaper than a dynamo hub front wheel makes sense. Given the declining availability in the UK market, and the higher prices than abroad, it is probably not wise to commit to a bottle dynamo based system without careful thought.

What I do not have, of course is a matching list of all the faults of hub dynamos...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wjhall wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:11am
Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 1:04pm PS: Obviously only for six of the counties...
Presumably, but with all the focus on procedures for getting things from the UK into Ulster I am not clear what happens the other way. In principle there is no customs border within the thirty two counties; I suspect anyone running a business moving noticeable quantities of goods across the Irish sea could face questions about where they came from on arrival at Liverpool.
Which is why my post included:
Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 1:04pm I think that it could work at low volumes.
Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:18am
kylecycler wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 10:31am
Jdsk wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:12am VanMoof's experience in today's Observer:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... trade-hard

Also chocolate bars and malt whisky the other way.

Jonathan
Any mention of VanMoof = an excuse to (re)post this video -
The height disparity has nothing to do with it, oh no no no!
Given its the Netherlands the easier answer is surely a step through frame? :)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop