Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stevek76

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Stevek76 »

Well I recently received a non cycling related item that was >£135 shipped via UPS from NL (originally made in china) and somehow dodged both vat and customs, no idea if UPS was supposed to do something and didn't but I'm not about to complain... :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

How recently? I've had a bill in the post from UPS weeks later for all the VAT, customs and handling charges.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

About 2 weeks ago. That's curious, I'd gathered that they normally hold on to the package until any additional fees are paid.

Not entirely sure I'd be inclined to consider a request for payment that long after delivery!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
jags

Post by jags »

i live in ireland i got charged 144 euro tax even tho i paid 50 sterling for to cover tax and postage :x
RickH

Post by RickH »

Stevek76 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:16pmNot entirely sure I'd be inclined to consider a request for payment that long after delivery!
I'm not sure UPS will be too bothered, they will probably just pass details of non-payment to HMRC who may well rope in the police to enforce payment along with substantial surcharges/fines. Your call. :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:48pm
Stevek76 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 7:16pmNot entirely sure I'd be inclined to consider a request for payment that long after delivery!
I'm not sure UPS will be too bothered, they will probably just pass details of non-payment to HMRC who may well rope in the police to enforce payment along with substantial surcharges/fines. Your call. :twisted:
Or they'll probably have just forgotten it. Even before Brexit the chances of a smallish order from a non EU supplier attracting their attention was variable.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

HMRC aren't going to rope in the police for perhaps £20 :lol:, nor do they charge fees, might inspire me to get around to claiming the wfh relief though...

At any rate my understanding is that payment has to be made for something to get through customs so if anything was due UPS have already paid it and this is a civil matter between them and me.

I find it rather poor customer service if they're in to the habit of delivering goods and then, weeks later, realising they should have asked for payment first (which is the way most operators, royal mail included, work in such matters). What if the fee turns out to be far more than expected and I don't want to pay that much? I can hardly return the goods now, they're open and used.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 9:12am "The payments giant Visa is to hike fees for purchases made by UK-based customers from most of Europe – stoking fears of higher prices and fuelling the argument that Brexit is adding to the cost of trading with the EU."
https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-hike ... e-12247803
"PayPal is introducing new post-Brexit fees for payments between businesses in the UK and Europe.
"From November, British businesses will be charged a 1.29 per cent fee for payments from the European Economic Area – and vice versa.
"The current charges, which have remained unchanged since the UK severed ties with the EU, are roughly 0.5 per cent."
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... pe-289640/

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 3:12pm
Jdsk wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 9:12am "The payments giant Visa is to hike fees for purchases made by UK-based customers from most of Europe – stoking fears of higher prices and fuelling the argument that Brexit is adding to the cost of trading with the EU."
https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-hike ... e-12247803
"PayPal is introducing new post-Brexit fees for payments between businesses in the UK and Europe.
"From November, British businesses will be charged a 1.29 per cent fee for payments from the European Economic Area – and vice versa.
"The current charges, which have remained unchanged since the UK severed ties with the EU, are roughly 0.5 per cent."
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... pe-289640/

Jonathan
I really can't see the grounds for this move - well other than greed and they can :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Did my first post Brexit order to Europe, Trade Inn of Spain. Pair of 27” gum walls, couldn’t find anything here. Delivery was two weeks, hassle-free.

(Just to be clear, this hasn’t altered my Remainer position. I’m wondering how long it’ll be before we Brits are summoning-up our lowered expectations and cheerily saying “hey up our Doris, I managed to get bread AND milk from the same shop today. Queue were only half hour an’all.” Character building, apparently - I’ll let my 90 year old mother - who lived through the war and after - know.)
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I ordered a chainset from Mantel last Wednesday and it was delivered on Friday, 48 hours from Holland to Bristol but it did cost me £10. Mantel are only dealing with orders for less than £135 exc. shipping
Due to uncertainties surrounding import duties and customs formalities, it is currently only possible to place orders with a total value (excluding shipping costs) of less than £135.

This means that all products costing more than £135 cannot be placed in the shopping basket. Additionally, if the value of your basket is over £135, the payment option will not appear.

This situation will remain the same until we get further clarity from the UK government and our shipping partners.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Redvee wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:23am I ordered a chainset from Mantel last Wednesday and it was delivered on Friday, 48 hours from Holland to Bristol but it did cost me £10. Mantel are only dealing with orders for less than £135 exc. shipping
Due to uncertainties surrounding import duties and customs formalities, it is currently only possible to place orders with a total value (excluding shipping costs) of less than £135.

This means that all products costing more than £135 cannot be placed in the shopping basket. Additionally, if the value of your basket is over £135, the payment option will not appear.

This situation will remain the same until we get further clarity from the UK government and our shipping partners.
Can you clarify - any customs, extra VAT or VAT handling charges payable by you after the order made?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:32pm Can you clarify - any customs, extra VAT or VAT handling charges payable by you after the order made?
It's taking a while for this to get through, despite it being repeated just about everywhere since the beginning of the year.
Less than £135 and the retailer is responsible to collecting the VAT
Over £135 and the consumer is responsible for paying it
Those are the regulations, neither the retailer or the consumer can change them. This is for goods supplied from outside the UK.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:36pm
Sweep wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:32pm Can you clarify - any customs, extra VAT or VAT handling charges payable by you after the order made?
It's taking a while for this to get through, despite it being repeated just about everywhere since the beginning of the year.
Less than £135 and the retailer is responsible to collecting the VAT
Over £135 and the consumer is responsible for paying it
Those are the regulations, neither the retailer or the consumer can change them. This is for goods supplied from outside the UK.
Yep I was aware of that - was just checking for reassurance as there has been a lot of fog about this - was also checking that Mantel had got their systems in place.
Sweep
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

All I paid was the item cost plus £10 P&P.