Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rualexander

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by rualexander »

simonhill wrote:I agree that it will settle down and things will be what they will be. I don't s'pose the Govt will be going out of their way to help shoppers who want to buy cheaper from Europe.

I wonder what the Customs checks will be like at the borders. Presumably still a green channel, but will the Officers be stopping a lot of people and checking them. If bikes are 10 or 20% cheaper in Europe, they will become a likely target for checking. If you head off with any high value new gear (bike, panniers, tent, etc) I'd recommend you take the receipts with you.

Or just take a gps tagged photo of all your gear at home before you leave, the photo's exif data will include date and time taken and gps coordinates.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rualexander wrote:
simonhill wrote:I agree that it will settle down and things will be what they will be. I don't s'pose the Govt will be going out of their way to help shoppers who want to buy cheaper from Europe.

I wonder what the Customs checks will be like at the borders. Presumably still a green channel, but will the Officers be stopping a lot of people and checking them. If bikes are 10 or 20% cheaper in Europe, they will become a likely target for checking. If you head off with any high value new gear (bike, panniers, tent, etc) I'd recommend you take the receipts with you.

Or just take a gps tagged photo of all your gear at home before you leave, the photo's exif data will include date and time taken and gps coordinates.

Yes, but do customs officials accept that?

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I have generally found that UK customs/Border entry people are fairly reasonable. I seem to remember that in fifteen or more years of in and out the UK every 2 months on a professional basis I only ever came across one over zealous individual. He was obviously endeavouring to be a legend in his own lunch break. Usual routine on my behalf when dealing with people of that nature; nod one's head and think blx!
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Mastercard will increase fees more than fivefold when a British shopper uses a debit or credit card to buy from an EU-based company, sparking alarm among companies that rely on online payments and concern among MPs over higher consumer prices.

"Mastercard and Visa levy an “interchange” fee on behalf of banks for every debit or credit card payment that uses their networks. The EU introduced a cap in 2015 after concerns the hidden fees were leading to hundreds of millions of euros in costs for companies and higher prices for consumers.

"But Mastercard has told merchants that the cap no longer applies to some transactions post-Brexit, because payments between the UK and European Economic Area are now deemed “inter-regional”."

https://www.ft.com/content/39f553a0-00c5-48ad-a8ee-0b9fd75554b0
(may be paywalled)

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote:"Mastercard will increase fees more than fivefold when a British shopper uses a debit or credit card to buy from an EU-based company, sparking alarm among companies that rely on online payments and concern among MPs over higher consumer prices.

"Mastercard and Visa levy an “interchange” fee on behalf of banks for every debit or credit card payment that uses their networks. The EU introduced a cap in 2015 after concerns the hidden fees were leading to hundreds of millions of euros in costs for companies and higher prices for consumers.

"But Mastercard has told merchants that the cap no longer applies to some transactions post-Brexit, because payments between the UK and European Economic Area are now deemed “inter-regional”."

(may be paywalled)

Jonathan

As I have said elsewhere Jonathan; it wont take long for the rip off merchants to take advantage legally or otherwise. Ho Hum.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Jdsk wrote:"Mastercard will increase fees more than fivefold when a British shopper uses a debit or credit card to buy from an EU-based company, sparking alarm among companies that rely on online payments and concern among MPs over higher consumer prices.

(may be paywalled)

Jonathan

As I have said elsewhere Jonathan; it wont take long for the rip off merchants to take advantage, legally or otherwise. Ho Hum.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Sorry every time I endeavour to correct my posts for my appalling punctuation it double posts.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The uk gov can introduce its own cap.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

SA_SA_SA wrote:The uk gov can introduce its own cap.

Would it be conical and have a large "D" on the front?
slowster

Post by slowster »

KTHSullivan wrote:Sorry every time I endeavour to correct my posts for my appalling punctuation it double posts.

I suspect that you are not logged in when you attempt to edit your posts. Consequently the only 'button' available to you is the one to quote a post (whereas when you are logged in for your own posts you have a choice of buttons to edit, delete, report and quote the post). Clicking that button takes you to the login screen, and once you have logged in you are taken back to the thread with what might appear to be your original post in edit mode. However, it is NOT your original post: you have instead created a new post which is a reply to your original one and contains the full text of it in a quote box. Editing that new draft post and submitting it results in the duplication.

Instead, you need to log in in the normal way, which will take you to the main Board Index, then navigate to the thread in question, find your post, edit it and submit it.

Alternatively if you still want to do it the 'wrong way' by using the reply button on your own post, I think you can do so once you have logged in by hitting the Backspace key/button multiple times (instead of submitting your duplicated/quoted post). That will get you back to the thread and your own post which you are seeking to edit. I think the edit button might not be visible at that point, in which case I think you just need to refresh the page. Edit - I've just tried this, and, as I thought with my browser, after pressing backspace twice I then had to refresh the page to see all four buttons.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

KTHSullivan wrote:

Would it be conical and have a large "D" on the front?

No.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

More on ebay/folks selling by ebay.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global- ... at-changes

This info to sellers rather than buyers it seems to me lets slip why the situation is not as clear as they pretend to buyers - it looks like clear display of UK VAT isn't mandatory until March 1.

Talk about two-faced!

It also says this:

"From 1 July 2021, the EU will introduce significant changes to how VAT is collected on imports into the EU, supplies within the EU by non-EU sellers and cross border supplies by EU sellers."

Hang onto your sprouts :(
Sweep
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sweep wrote:More on ebay/folks selling by ebay.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global- ... at-changes

This info to sellers rather than buyers it seems to me lets slip why the situation is not as clear as they pretend to buyers - it looks like clear display of UK VAT isn't mandatory until March 1.

Talk about two-faced!

It also says this:

"From 1 July 2021, the EU will introduce significant changes to how VAT is collected on imports into the EU, supplies within the EU by non-EU sellers and cross border supplies by EU sellers."

Hang onto your sprouts :(

The July 2021 change at the EU is, for goods going into EU, basically the same as the one the UK introduced in Jan 2021 for goods inbound to UK - namely overseas sellers of smaller value items have to register for VAT and collect it on behalf of the destination country before exporting.
The change was planned to be EU wide (prior to UK leaving), and originally due for Jan 2021. The EU decided to delay its change by six months due to Covid, but the UK (on its "no longer in EU" path) decided to not change the Jan 2021 date and carry on with the planned change.

At an EU level its clearly aimed at off-shore supply, such as China.
But with the UK leaving the EU, and with numerous businesses and individuals being used to open trade between UK and EU, its another cost of Brexit for all those businesses and people. I think unicorns are exempt from the rules.
broadway

Post by broadway »

How will they enforce a cap that applies to an EU country?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks like what EU outlets will sell to UK is going to get expensive now the EEA card charge caps no longer apply to UK
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/25/mastercard-to-raise-fees-to-eu-firms-by-500-percent-for-online-sales-to-uk-shoppers wrote:Mastercard to raise fees by at least 400% for EU firms selling to UK customers
Since 2015, the EU has capped these fees across the European Economic Area (EEA), including within the UK.

Mastercard’s current charges are in line with the cap. The new fees meet a cap for non-EEA cards used for online purchases within the area, which includes Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as well as EU countries. The change announced by Mastercard will apply to online sales at shops and businesses based in the EEA that are made on UK-issued cards. Travellers will not face the higher rate on face-to-face sales.

Ian