Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote:More on ebay/folks selling by ebay.

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global- ... at-changes

This info to sellers rather than buyers it seems to me lets slip why the situation is not as clear as they pretend to buyers - it looks like clear display of UK VAT isn't mandatory until March 1.

Talk about two-faced!

Why is that "two-faced"? All I see is everyone trying to catch up with a situation for which preparation was nearly impossible.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote:Hang onto your sprouts

It's even worse when food hygiene regulations are involved...

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 11.56.20.png

https://twitter.com/theethicaldairy/status/1353785732633145344

... and that's within the UK!

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

broadway wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:The uk gov can introduce its own cap.

How will they enforce a cap that applies to an EU country?

By setting the law about what ccard companies can charge uk people when bill is presented to uk citizen living in uk...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
broadway wrote:

How will they enforce a cap that applies to an EU country?

By setting the law about what ccard companies can charge uk people when bill is presented to uk citizen living in uk...

My understanding (maybe incorrect) from the report is that Mastercard plan to charge the vendor the increased rate rather than the purchaser. Also that the EU has different caps a lower one that applies to EEA cards and a higher cap that applies to cards from elsewhere.

But I suspect it get complex as I assume the EU based retailer passes the card payment through their domestic card payment handler which is likely an EU company so the charge on them would be by an EU company covered by EU laws & caps. So it comes down to who is making the additional charges and who is passing on those charges and who is making a mark-up on those charges. All more complex because Mastercard is a pretty international company and the linked to report does not say "which" Mastercard is increasing those charges (e.g. Mastercard Belgium or Mastercard EU or Mastercard UK). Or maybe I've just completely misunderstood it all.

Ian
slowster

Post by slowster »

The UK used to be called 'Treasure Island' by the automotive industry, because of how UK governments had allowed big businesses to exploit consumers by taking advantage of low levels of competition to keep prices inflated well above what consumers elsewhere in Europe paid.

That was before the UK became part of the single market with free movement of goods and services etc., and also with its regulations and enforcement to prevent anti-competitive behaviour by big businesses.

Based on past experience, there is little reason to believe UK governments will take effective action to prevent large businesses exploiting consumers, i.e. not to the extent that the EU has done (both directly by enforcement of its rules and regulations on practices that are anti-competitive and unfairly exploit consumers, and indirectly by the operation of the single market to keep prices down for consumers).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote:

This info to sellers rather than buyers it seems to me lets slip why the situation is not as clear as they pretend to buyers - it looks like clear display of UK VAT isn't mandatory until March 1.

Talk about two-faced!

Why is that "two-faced"? All I see is everyone trying to catch up with a situation for which preparation was nearly impossible.

Jonathan

I agree that the situation is a mess/a total balls up for all involved including ebay, despite all those smiley face TV ads.

But in the interests of clarity and lack of problems for buyers (which could be extremely expensive) they shouldn't tell buyers one thing and sellers another.

I posted the first link (to buyers) in the interests of clarity and reassurance.

The difference between the two statements explains why some, including me, have found that the first statement is not true on all transactions at all.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

slowster wrote:

The UK used to be called 'Treasure Island' by the automotive industry, because of how UK governments had allowed big businesses to exploit consumers by taking advantage of low levels of competition to keep prices inflated well above what consumers elsewhere in Europe paid.).

Kind of related to that point you might be interested in a blackly comic episode in this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133 ... in-the-sun

where the US executives from Chrysler are described as gangsters with dark shades, possibly with machine guns under the table, as they negotiate with Brit government folk likened to nervous country vicars or the like to extract megabucks for their dysfunctional factories. They scarpered soon afterwards anyway of course.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Talk about two-faced!

I agree that the situation is a mess/a total balls up for all involved including ebay, despite all those smiley face TV ads.

But in the interests of clarity and lack of problems for buyers (which could be extremely expensive) they shouldn't tell buyers one thing and sellers another.

I posted the first link (to buyers) in the interests of clarity and reassurance.

The difference between the two statements explains why some, including me, have found that the first statement is not true on all transactions at all.

Thanks, but I still don't understand the accusation. It's probably me being dense.

Here are the two pages together for anyone who wants to compare them:

https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/global-sales/2021-vat-changes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=2&query=Paying%20tax%20on%20eBay%20purchases&intent=tax

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Also applies to clothing etc.

Bought some shoes from deporvillage. I suppose with hindsight it doesn't sound a UK company but it didn't occur to me at the time (7th January). By 9th January it had reached the final parcel depot (which turned out to be outside Barcelona) and it is still there as far as I am aware. I presume the paperwork to get the parcel to the UK is too complicated and I think I might also have to pay charges. I am attempting to cancel but may well have to go via Paypal. Have ordered from a supplier in Canterbury (I hope) and it is on its way (I hope). As I feared, post Brexit all overseas purchases will be subject to similar conditions to e.g USA. I bought a handlebar bag from a US supplier last December and the DHL charge was over half the cost of the bag.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote:
Sweep wrote:Hang onto your sprouts

It's even worse when food hygiene regulations are involved...

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 11.56.20.png
https://twitter.com/theethicaldairy/status/1353785732633145344

... and that's within the UK!

Jonathan

Yes. UK is in a way a red herring in these matters. The key border is the Single Market. If you're selling into the Single Market from outside (or into other similar single-market type areas, eg the USA) from outside, you inevitably face issues of compliance. That is the whole purpose of Single Markets: businesses inside have to conform to common standards (in this case of food hygiene), and those outside have to meet the same standards to sell in.
nomm

Post by nomm »

nomm wrote:
st599_uk wrote:
nomm wrote:so my £60 order from a big german bike retailer is likely going to arrive late and cost me a fee via the courier?
At £60, the retailer should be registering with UK HMRC, calculating VAT and import duty, generating the customs paperwork and then passing the money on to the UK govt. The courier's only meant to do that for packages over £135.

They have reassured me this is the case - although admitted they are still having problems with delivery companies

Well it's still in Germany and was due to be delivered today

According to UPS: The package is delayed due to a BREXIT related disruption

I like how they put Brexit in capitals like its my fault
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I wonder if they think that it's an acronym...

Jonathan
nomm

Post by nomm »

nomm wrote:
nomm wrote:
st599_uk wrote:At £60, the retailer should be registering with UK HMRC, calculating VAT and import duty, generating the customs paperwork and then passing the money on to the UK govt. The courier's only meant to do that for packages over £135.

They have reassured me this is the case - although admitted they are still having problems with delivery companies

Well it's still in Germany and was due to be delivered today

According to UPS: The package is delayed due to a BREXIT related disruption

I like how they put Brexit in capitals like its my fault

Arrived today - only 2 days late. No fees
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update.

More experiences, anyone?

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote:Thanks for the update.

More experiences, anyone?

Jonathan

Jonathan, I ordered a few bits and pieces from Germany on the 2nd January, not cycling related but I would think the order would have been subject to the same protocols. The orders value was £40:00 and the VAT was paid at source to the German vendor. I asked the vendor to deliver via DPD as I normally do. The Vendor via separate e mail informed me that they were unable to use DPD at that time as they has suspended international deliveries to the UK from EU, as a consequence it was sent via UPS. Upon arrival the UPS driver informed me that there was a charge. I refused to pay the charge, as UPS were effectively endeavouring to bill me for effectively telling me there was no charge as there were no "on costs" on the delivery note. The driver left the goods anyway. Might have just been the usual confusion I get when goods are delivered via UPS who knows.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol: